Thread: homeloads in .44 taurus tumbling

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    cheers mate
    JB ,FAC superten .22, Dr bob quickfill....ruger 10/22...marlin 795ss .44 taurus

right then ,some good news boys, loaded unique at the minimun ive read about on US sites 5.5 ,near enough ,big smiles

then 6gr 1 hole good ,1 sideways

6.5gr both sideways thru same hole

so 5.5 it is , all the info from the states is for much shorter barrels than my 12"......so would it be ok to try 5.0gr ,has anyone gone this low?

By all means try 5.0gr of Unique, or even lower by a grain. See what the accuracy is like. As you drop below reasonable velocities, the groups get very spread out, so you'll know when you've dropped too far.

A velocity of 600-650fps is fine for out to 50m; no need for more, as long as it accurate enough for your needs. I've developed loads around 600fps for use in my Marlin, which give 3.9cm (edge to edge) 10 shot groups @25m. That's X-ring accuracy.

If you can scrounge the use of a chronograph sometime, you can establish precisely where your load lies on the velocity spectrum. Ask your club if they have one -- they really should if they have velocity/energy limits they want their shooters to adher to.

none of the bullets should be going sideways irrespective of suitable powder weights or crimp.
    personally I would slug the bore then slug the mouths of the chambers.

i seen it on u tube ,where would i get a soft lead ball? in .44

I've been using 6.0gns of Unique for over 20 years, it's my preferred gallery load in .44. Mike the bullets or slug the bore somethingbis not right here and it's not powder from what you've said so far since upping the Lovex load.

Quote Originally Posted by steve R View Post
    i seen it on u tube ,where would i get a soft lead ball? in .44
    What diameter of .44??
    Pistol & Rifle Shooting in the Highlands with Strathpeffer Rifle & Pistol Club. <StrathRPC at yahoo.com> or google it.
    No longer Pumpin Oil but still Passin Gas!

the heads are .429

Dalua is offline No need for me to cry...
    After a couple of years of loading 'proper' rifle cartridges, my father gave me his .357 carbine because he wasn't using it anymore.

I was used to crimping loads for .308, .270 and .303 with a Lee die, and my initial loads for the .357 I crimped to what felt like the same extent - i.e. pretty lightly.

After many scores of rounds which gave 3-4foot 'groups' at 100yds, I swallowed my pride and took some advice from someone who knew - which was to go for a markedly firmer crimp. I was initlally rather alarmed by the almost white-knuckle effort (relative to the use of the Lee die on the proper centrefires) that was required to sqeeze the case-mouth into the lead of the bullet (not into a 'crimping groove'), but the results were immediate and clear: actual groups!

Whether any of this is relevant to your situation, I don't know.
    We have always known there were two Britains: one extraordinarily pleasant, inhabited by mild, tolerant, kindly people; the other utterly disgusting, inhabited by brutal and malevolent louts. Auberon Waugh

cheers mate ,i only use a slight roll crimp, and seeing as its shootin well ill leave it be, now they dont tumble i can try and reduce the group size ,cheers steve

i had issues with cast bullets in 8mm mauser as i could only gas check them through a .323 lee sizer die and i coulnt hit anything and i mean anything at any distance,,,,,shell house reloading made me some bullets at cast rather than ,323 so they came out at .325 which i had a bullet sizer to gas check......my barrel wanted bullets at .325 to .326
    it finally put bullets on paper at 100 yds.......2 thou made all the difference

good feeling after trying several different things