Thread: Modern Target rifle Lust!

Modern Target rifle Lust!

I think I know the answer to my question, but I'm going to ask it anyway if may!

I started Target shooting and bell target with an FWB300SU, and then bought an FWB601. I now use the 601 exclusively for bell target and the 300 for 10m as I shoot 10m much less often. Both guns are mental accurate and will stack pellets through a single hole when bench rested on bean bags and are super consistent over a chrono.

So my question is, if the 601 I use for comp bell target is so good and I'm winning with it regally always getting 9's and 10's (outward scoring), would 'upgrading' to an expensive super modern 10m rifle help me in any way?

I see the modern rifles and lust over one, but at £2500, it's a mental amount of money for looks if I'm not going to translate the cost into scores when my 601 is so good. Also, my 601 stays consistent and I have to walk away from the line each time I take a shot anyway for bell, so can never take advantage of staying in position. I can never forget to fill the 601 and it doesn't have a 'sweat spot' or regulator !!!!

Rob.

It all comes down to muscle power. In a round, each time you cock the rifle fatigues you, whereas the lad next to you simply cock a the action and drops in a pellet.
    When it comes down to brass tacks, these things matter.
    I'm sure your rifle is just as accurate as a modern PvP target gun, but shooters will take every opportunity to increase their score no matter how small an improvement.
    Donald

The NSRA shop has highly recommended the Walther LG400 Anatomic.
    Any comments?

Hello mate I upgraded from a 601 to an 800,what a difference my 6 yard went up to shooting 285/300 and my 10m from 240/300 up to 270
    I might be selling if you’re interested pm for details and pics
    Regards alan

I'm quite a bit further down the road of looking at a new 10m rifle now. I have talked to a few people and kinda know what I want. I have been offered a very good deal on a Walther LG400 Competition with blue/grey woodwork. The woodwork was added to the deal as that is what I wanted, so I guess it's a custom deal, although Walther do offer custom combos anyway, you just got wait, but this rifle combo is in the UK now ready to buy.

So I'm now giving some very hard thought about selling off three of my guns to pay for this one! My FWB300SU, FWB601 and Steyr Evo10.

The 300 is totally mint and 100% consistent, I'll never be able to replace it with another in this condition!
    The 601 is also totally mint and also 100% consistent. I could replace it, but why bother it's only a 601.
    The Steyr Evo10 is basically brand new and only shot 3 tins of pellets max since buying new about 8 months ago, and I like it, but I hardly ever shoot it now that I've left the pistol club I bought it for!

Is the Walther LG400 really worth giving up two perfect (but old school) target rifles, and give up pistol shooting (that I don't do much now and can always use the clubs Steyr for comps anyway). Is the 400 worth it?

Quote Originally Posted by MrChipShoulder View Post
    I'm quite a bit further down the road of looking at a new 10m rifle now. I have talked to a few people and kinda know what I want. I have been offered a very good deal on a Walther LG400 Competition with blue/grey woodwork. The woodwork was added to the deal as that is what I wanted, so I guess it's a custom deal, although Walther do offer custom combos anyway, you just got wait, but this rifle combo is in the UK now ready to buy.

So I'm now giving some very hard thought about selling off three of my guns to pay for this one! My FWB300SU, FWB601 and Steyr Evo10.

The 300 is totally mint and 100% consistent, I'll never be able to replace it with another in this condition!
    The 601 is also totally mint and also 100% consistent. I could replace it, but why bother it's only a 601.
    The Steyr Evo10 is basically brand new and only shot 3 tins of pellets max since buying new about 8 months ago, and I like it, but I hardly ever shoot it now that I've left the pistol club I bought it for!

Is the Walther LG400 really worth giving up two perfect (but old school) target rifles, and give up pistol shooting (that I don't do much now and can always use the clubs Steyr for comps anyway). Is the 400 worth it?

YES - I can highly recommend the LG400 Anatomic.

I have one of the limited edition "Anthracite" grey LG400 Anatomic rifles and it is superb.

Previously I had one of the blue laminated LG300XT Anatomic's and that was really good too (and much missed!). Good examples of these can be found to save some cash!

The Walther LG400 is about as close as you can get to a hand built production match rifle and it has a really nice "feel" that I personally like very much, but if you are going to spend that amount of cash I also suggest you look at its main rivals to see what you like the feel of as it is a very personal thing - what suits one person may not suite the next.

The wood stock on the Anatomic suits me, but most seem to prefer the alloy stocked match rifles.

I also have an FWB P70 (basically a PCP version of the FWB 600 SSP series rifles) with a laminated stock, and again I like it because it feels good and I think the multi-colour wood stock looks good too.

I will be selling this P70 soon as the Anatomic replaces it - but it does make a lot less expensive way of shooting a nice PCP that is very close in shape and feel to your 601. It is such a close shape to the 603 that I understand the stocks can be exchanged with very little work!

Hope this helps?
    Last edited by zooma; 13-03-2019 at 06:20 PM.
    Rossendale Target Shooting Club. Every Tuesday and Thursday evening 7 - 10pm.

PM sent Zooma

It's all gone a bit wrong with the LG400 as the shop I was lined up to buy it from will not/can not take a credit card on firearm sales
    So I'm back to the starting point with a new rifle. I have asked my local shop if they are OK with credit cards and they are, so that's a start, but the price is not as good as the original shop by quite a bit!

If I were to buy a PCP 10M rifle purely on looks, I'd kill for a Feinwerkbau P70 ALU in blue !!!!!!

But maybe I'm just dreaming and I think I'm just going to have to buy something new at a high price or something newer than the 601 SH.

I am of coarse assuming that all PCP 10M rifles are 'better' than my FWB300 and FWB601!

PM sent Zooma

It's all gone a bit wrong with the LG400 as the shop I was lined up to buy it from will not/can not take a credit card on firearm sales
    So I'm back to the starting point with a new rifle. I have asked my local shop if they are OK with credit cards and they are, so that's a start, but the price is not as good as the original shop by quite a bit!

If I were to buy a PCP 10M rifle purely on looks, I'd kill for a Feinwerkbau P70 ALU in blue !!!!!!

But maybe I'm just dreaming and I think I'm just going to have to buy something new at a high price or something newer than the 601 SH.

I am of coarse assuming that all PCP 10M rifles are 'better' than my FWB300 and FWB601!
    Accuracy wise the PCP may not be any better than your 601 as both are more capable than the average human - but the PCP will deliver every time and take a lot less effort to achieve so you will score better more often !

We are very fond of the P70 in our club - it is a very well respected match rifle.

Is your LG400 Anatomic better than the P70 though?
    Better ?

I like Walther match rifles so I would say my Anatomic looks "better" and I liked it enough when I first saw it to spend all my cash buying it!

However - they say that "beauty is in the eye of the beholder" and I know some have commented that the laminated green/blue/red stock on my P70 looks stunning and they would choose it for "looks" ahead of my Anatomic

.but if you ask me if my Anatomic is more accurate than the P70 then the answer has to be "no" because they are both pin-point accurate - its only the feeble old shooter that's holding them that lets them both down equally

OK I understand
    You only bought the LG400 Anatomic because it looks better than your P70 and there is no performance difference.

I have to agree as it was the LG400 Anatomic in blue that I really wanted on the same basis! The NSRA shop could have got their hands on the LG400 Anatomic in blue, but starting with grey and then the blue laminations, so giving the rifle a slightly less blue look. Unfortunately they wanted over £230 more than any other shop for the LG400 Anatomic, and I'm just not going to give that much money away for such a small visual difference (weather I prefer it or not).

So I moved down the list and decided on the LG400 Comp, but now the shop has let me know I can't use a CC to purchase firearms from this shop. I think that when you are spending this kind of money, looks DO count !!!
    Last edited by MrChipShoulder; 13-03-2019 at 03:35 PM.

OK I understand
    You only bought the LG400 Anatomic because it looks better than your P70 and there is no performance difference.

I have to agree as it was the LG400 Anatomic in blue that I really wanted on the same basis! The NSRA shop could have got their hands on the LG400 Anatomic in blue, but starting with grey and then the blue laminations, so giving the rifle a slightly less blue look. Unfortunately they wanted over £230 more than any other shop for the LG400 Anatomic, and I'm just not going to give that much money away for such a small visual difference (weather I prefer it or not).

So I moved down the list and decided on the LG400 Comp, but now the shop has let me know can't use a CC to purchase firearms from this shop. I think that when you are spending this kind of money, looks DO count !!!

My LG300XT Anatomic was in the usual grey/blue laminate colour - it's called "Blue Angel" - but the LG400 Anatomic rifles are also available in another laminate colour of grey/green that is called "Green Pepper".

See here:- https://www.carl-walther.com/media-center/catalogs.html

When I called Intershoot to buy my LG400 Anatomic from them they only had the Green Pepper colour in stock, but I wanted my LG400 Anatomic to be in the same colour as my previous LG300XT Anatomic (Blue Angel) so I did not buy it from them as they had no idea when another blue one would be available.

I had hoped to either travel over to collect my new rifle from them (Intershoot) or to meet them at one of their regular visits to shoot at Bisley rather than have it posted to a local RFD (we don't have any that are very close to us).

Soon after this my friends were visiting the MEC coaching ranges in Germany when they spotted an unusual new "limited edition" Anthracite coloured LG400 Anatomic on display in the MEC shop and called me with some pictures straight away.

Despite the colour being called Anthracite it is actually more of a lighter grey colour and looked superb so it was bought "there and then" and I had it shipped back to the UK for me - so I never did get my Blue Angel LG400 Anatomic - but I am more than happy with my limited edition Anthracite Anatomic!

Even though I also like the LG400 with the more normal (and ever so slightly less expensive) alloy stocks - I prefer the feel of the wooden Anatomic.
    Last edited by zooma; 13-03-2019 at 04:31 PM.