Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Just back from Chatham militaria fair.

Just back from Chatham militaria fair.

Did not go looking for airgun stuff but picked up a few well used bits. How I like em' - used, not too abused, nice patina. Should clean up OK.

Only issue is one Gat is missing the rear pellet pusher thingy - common issue I guess.

Any idea of where I might get one?

And the rough value of these various items?

(bigger pic if you click the thumbnail)

Max; looking for: Baikal IZH 61 side lever rifle

Hi Max,

The Webley target holder looks to be a 1970s variant due to the presence of a sticker and I'd guess value would be around the £50 mark. I got a replacement probe from Harrington years ago when I needed one but as the firm are no longer trading, that option's out. I guess they are not too difficult to make if one has a lathe and access to an original to copy.

I'd recommend a journey to Kempton in a fortnight - there will be lots of airguns there.....

Kind regards,

John

Is Chatham any good? I go to the one at Farnham now and again but the numbers seem to be dwindling

Goodies

One of the Gats is also missing the spring sleeve, so you may end up making one good one from the two of them. These are the sort of items I also look for, ie "doer uppers" which help to pass the long winter months. If the Gats were complete and working and tidied up, they would probably fetch around £25 to £30 each. The Webley pellet tin £10 to £12. The other tins £5 the pair (if you're lucky!) The smaller Webley target holder is quite hard to find so I agree with John on that. I've been looking for one, but only found the larger version.
    Last edited by webman; 10-03-2019 at 04:47 PM.
    Life is to be enjoyed, not endured.

Thanks guys - not been to Chatham for a year or two but it was the busiest I've seen it (been going a long time) and well attended.

Good news on the values - bad news was seller said he had a lot more bits including a mint target holder but had just sold them...

How do you get the spring out of these Gats? I had the grip off (wow these are simple things) and trigger all ok, cleaned and lubed that.

The one without the pusher I could unscrew the rear plug and take out the leather washer but no more.

I never had a Gat as a kid and well remember a classmate being top dog as he has one in his school bag - circa '79...

Gats

You need to pull back the spring/spring sleeve against the spring pressure, then clamp the barrel. I've done this by using a clothes peg round it and putting that in a vice. You then need to unscrew the cork holder from the barrel. This may need some "easit" spray. The barrel can then be pushed out of the back of the frame.
    Life is to be enjoyed, not endured.

Gat dismantling

I find pushing the cork holder onto a hard surface, pulling the trigger allows the rear plug to be unscrewed, then the barrel and Spring can be withdrawn from the front. Mine was so low powered it took three or four goes to get a dart through! Eventually I realised although the breech had a washer, the front allowed air to escape, so a second seal, over the barrel and at the back of the Spring, to stop it moving, reduced air loss and it now works normally, but with the terrible trigger pull! HTH David

Thanks chaps. Yes, this is absolutely by far the lowest power thing I've owned, a kind of ppfffttttt-plop.

I'd just like to say thanks for this thread. I didn't know about the Chatham fair and having looked into since reading the first post I've discovered plenty of other fairs and shows I never realised existed. Cheers

Well, the one without the spring cover I can push far enough out the back to unscrew the rear part but the nicer one with sleeve - tried clamping the barrel and front brass piece but they are super, super tight and refusing to budge.

A familiar story to others I'm sure - now is the time to leave well alone and let father time own the innards of this one lest it ends in a very regrettable - "...if only why [once again] didn't I leave it alone!"

Quote Originally Posted by MikeHW45 View Post
    I'd just like to say thanks for this thread. I didn't know about the Chatham fair and having looked into since reading the first post I've discovered plenty of other fairs and shows I never realised existed. Cheers
    Good stuff - yes, plenty of good fairs in the SE - Chatham is a good regular one (and the dockyard itself is a great day out) but plenty in Surrey and other places in Kent, Essex, Hampshire etc.

http://www.milweb.net/events.php?etype=uk_militaria

If you get to only one then get yourself to the Hop Farm for War and Peace annually in July - very handy for us Sussex boys and people come from all over the world for it. A pretty special event.

Took these pics below years ago but not much has changed so if you have not been it will give you a flavour of what to see.

The odd air gun turns up here too

If anyone might have a pellet pusher pin jobby for the Gat please let me know.

I am 99% sure I have one in my box of bits, I will have a look this evening and get back to you.
    Too many guns, or not enough time?

Thanks!