Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: RWS Power Piercing pellets, Ooooooh

Smile RWS Power Piercing pellets, Ooooooh

Well I have used RWS Superdomes for donkeys years and have rated them highly for those years also use their hollow points for closer work and found them to be great even at FAC power on squizzers etc.

I was browsing our glorious sponsors new site, a thumbs up by the way, It's nice and straight forward to use and saw the RWS Power Piercing tins of pellets, Tough name for a pellet!!!!

If memory serves me right H&N do their version and close to that is those red poly tip Predator pellets.

I've tried the Predator pellets some years back now which grouped like shotgun lead in all my Springers and Spitfire but the latter to be fair is ultra fussy!!
    Just wondering out of interest what people use them for and thought of them?

Are they a gimmick plinker or a serious worker?
    John Darling JD (1946-2004) was my inspiration to be the best i can and enjoy the sport i love. R.I.P
    A dedicated HW80 Fanatic and owner since 1986 to present.

At £4.50 for 100, I shan’t be trying them.

Murphy is offline Cooee! Chase me you naughty boys!
    They just look like a solid Polymag copy.

And the Polymags where proper shit.

I like the look of the Power bolt.
    Master Debater

Not tried them, but polymags were very good(along with superdomes)in my 22 hw85, iv'e recently got another couple of 22's, 80 & 77 so will try the poly's in those

I would like to see one shot into some gel to see if it actually mushrooms at sub 12 power levels.

Well seems like these are not very popular I hadn't noticed the price which is quite a lot for 100 pellets!!! Thought maybe they were Tank armour piercing pellets
    John Darling JD (1946-2004) was my inspiration to be the best i can and enjoy the sport i love. R.I.P

Polymags have been very good in my barrels especially .25. IIRC they didn’t like bsa barrels as much as the German/ euro barrels. The new website is very good 👍. Thanks for the heads up. I wonder if those new chronos are any good...
    'Windage & Elevation, Miss. Langdon - Windage & Elevation!'

Given that traditional high quality diabolos:

a) kill quarry well,
    b) win FT/HFT matches,

I fail to understand the attraction of spending more money on pellets that may do a) but do not do b).

I may be overly sceptical from experience of 80s multi-ring points, Sabos, Prometheus, NATO, and all the other gimmick pellets. But why change a winning formula (which includes flat heads and hollows for ratting)?

What is the advantage of pointed piercing pellets.

Lets be honest, the issue with air pellets is one of over penetration as if the pellet stays in the quarry it means all of the energy stays in the quarry.

Pointed pellets as a rule tend to be inaccurate especially over mire extended ranges compared to a diablo style.

I would rather use soft lead diablo or soft lead hollows as I want it to squash or mushroom as much as possible.

Piercing is not desirable for me....other than the side closest to me.
    In a battle of wits I refuse to engage with an unarmed person.
    To one shot one kill, you need to seek the S. Kill only comes from Skill

robby is offline Whos the odd one out now
    Unless there are some mutant rats,gray squirrels and feral pigeons developed body armours then piercing pellets will be fun!.

Only pointed pellet I ever used was the Silver Jet way back in the day, they seemed accurate enough (to me) at the time

I found RWS Hobby in .22 very effective against rats and quirrels being quite soft
    Custom BSA S10 .22 PAX Phoenix Mk 2 .22 Custom Titan Manitou .22 (JB BP) HW77 .22 FWB Sport Mk1 .22 Sharp Ace .22 Crossman 600 .22 Berretta 92 .20 Desert Eagle .177

Personally I have found most hollow points work very well. The best HP for me and regularly use is the RWS Super-H-Points and in the FAC R7 I use Bisley Pest Control but they are a bit tight in the barrel, all my stuff is .22

Quote Originally Posted by Geezer View Post

I may be overly sceptical from experience of 80s multi-ring points, Sabos, Prometheus, NATO, and all the other gimmick pellets. But why change a winning formula (which includes flat heads and hollows for ratting)?
    Perhaps because diabolos have the aerodynamics of a brick with the resultant matching wind response and basic ballistic properties which require shooters to spend hours finding individual batches of pellets which just happen to match their barrel. The problem with all the pellets you mention was that they were designed by people who apparently hadn't the faintest idea about ballistics or projectile design.

Quote Originally Posted by ballisticboy View Post
    Perhaps because diabolos have the aerodynamics of a brick with the resultant matching wind response and basic ballistic properties which require shooters to spend hours finding individual batches of pellets which just happen to match their barrel. The problem with all the pellets you mention was that they were designed by people who apparently hadn't the faintest idea about ballistics or projectile design.
    Agree with you on all of that.

The RWS PP appear to be the currently fashionable hollow point diabolo with a spire point added. I strongly doubt they are a good pellet, especially at that price.