Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: RWS Power Piercing pellets, Ooooooh

Quote Originally Posted by ballisticboy View Post
    Perhaps because diabolos have the aerodynamics of a brick with the resultant matching wind response and basic ballistic properties which require shooters to spend hours finding individual batches of pellets which just happen to match their barrel. The problem with all the pellets you mention was that they were designed by people who apparently hadn't the faintest idea about ballistics or projectile design.
    Ok. I will bite. As HFT and FT pretty much exclusively use Diabo because they have a better ballistics than hollows or flats etc.... what shape do you feel is better than a diablo???
    Flat HP and pointed all have pretty shite ballistics in my experience and as per OPs original.post...you dont want penetration per se for hunting. You want to dump energy not help it slip through.
    In a battle of wits I refuse to engage with an unarmed person.
    To one shot one kill, you need to seek the S. Kill only comes from Skill

Quote Originally Posted by Steyr View Post
    Ok. I will bite. As HFT and FT pretty much exclusively use Diabo because they have a better ballistics than hollows or flats etc.... what shape do you feel is better than a diablo???
    Flat HP and pointed all have pretty shite ballistics in my experience and as per OPs original.post...you dont want penetration per se for hunting. You want to dump energy not help it slip through.
    Flat, HP and pointed are all diabolos the same as round head. To say the round head pellet has better ballistics than the other diabolos is like saying a Lada is a better drive than a Trabant. All diabolos are based on an aerogyro stabilised design using a simplistic method of aerodynamic stabilisation which produces massive drag coefficients, no matter what shape the front end is, with no justification (the drag force does not contribute to stability).
    The use of true spin stabilisation will give the opportunity to design projectiles with the aerodynamic characteristics necessary to increase tolerance of launch errors and reduce the wind response improving the chance of a hit in the target area in all conditions. A true spin stabilised projectile will also become unstable when it enters the secondary medium in hunting situations improving energy dumping.