Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: SMK PP700 SA tuning question

SMK PP700 SA tuning question

Been playing with a used PP700 I bought.
    It’s now Huma regulated, was set at 90 bar

No matter how much hammer adjustment, it wouldn’t go over 3.5 fpe.

So I stripped it out, set it to 100 bar, same story, but now 4 fpe.

The transfer port is backed out on the breach, the reg is fitted properley and can breath to atmosphere.

I’m a bit lost for ideas, all I want is efficient as possible at 5 fpe.
    Any thoughts welcomed!
    NON SUFFICIT ORBIS

try it at a lower pressure could be valve lock but at 100 bar you'd think it would have enough strike as it has a 200bar fill
    problem with s/h is often you don't know what has been altered

It was set lower before (90 bar) and made 3.5 fpe. I bought it used but the cylinder and reg are off another and checked/resealed by me. It has a breached original reg and is lovely and consistent at least at these lower powers on the chrono.

If I really wind the hammer spring up, the power drifts down again, could that be a clue Ped??
    NON SUFFICIT ORBIS

How hard is to pull the trigger when it is cocked, the reason I am asking because maybe someone fitted weak hammerspring. If too easy that’s the clue. Fill only 100, 110bar in the cylinder to check/ prevent valve lock. and verify what the pressure reducer is doing
    If your reg is set too low for a pistol power will be low, if too high, power will be low again when you fill the cylinder all the way up.

The us models have bigger hole right behind towards the pellet, everything else failing I would drill the Tp out carefully the way that you can still use the restriction from the top as designed later.
    Maybe you have a sliding breech off a uk .22 that’s why it is struggling to make power. Yours is a .177 right?

The best tune on these is high reg and high hammer spring and lots of choke. You work out the choke as it drifts up towards the low pressures. It will be quiet and high shotcount if you get it right.
    Last edited by krisko; 10-03-2019 at 10:09 PM.

Thanks chaps, useful. Yes Krisko, it’s .177 cal.
    NON SUFFICIT ORBIS

the porting may be restrictive but I have had very little to do with tuning these
    I bought one just to test seals on and eventually to make a small ratter but as yet have only turned a longer barrel for it
    I did turn a 177 barrel for a mate and he was getting 5-6 no issues but his was previously .22
    a soft hammer spring could be the cause but why would power fall when the tensioner was fully wound up -shot count yes as it wastes air but you'd think the power would remain

Going to be a week or so before I get to look at this again. Will update later but thanks for all the ideas.
    NON SUFFICIT ORBIS

Had an interesting day in the “gun room”.

I completly stripped the PP700 SA. I found the issue to be the small hole transfer port, about 1.8mm as standard, to be not quite drilled through.

This made a “8” shaped hole as it nearly bit into the threads for the choke screw.

This is now a 3.5mm through drilled hole.

When tested, super consistent untill it went off reg (Huma). So now I’m testing pressures and hammer tensions and choke settings.

It wouldn’t make 4 fpe before, now I have to be careful to keep it legal. I’m hoping the recipe above will work, high reg pressure, high hammer tension, lots of choke.

Will update later.

Does anyone have a definitive pressure setting for a .177 Huma reg? I boght mine used so it might be set anywhere.

Thanks!
    Last edited by Phil B; 23-03-2019 at 04:19 PM.
    NON SUFFICIT ORBIS

Hopefully pics...

Nope, no pix, I don’t have permissions or some .....
    Last edited by Phil B; 23-03-2019 at 06:22 PM.
    NON SUFFICIT ORBIS

Failed pic attempt. Edited
    Last edited by Phil B; 23-03-2019 at 05:25 PM.
    NON SUFFICIT ORBIS

NON SUFFICIT ORBIS

NON SUFFICIT ORBIS

Running as per the recope above, 110-115 bar reg pressure, reasonably heavy hammer and nearly choked to death (and loctited).

Pretty steady near the 5 fpe mark throughout with 8.44 gr JSBs.

I modded the wobbly stock with the rubber gromitt to stop it banging the air cyl. And a similar thing inside the stick hinge to eliminate the slack. I added a bit if 1/2” UNF thread to mount the mod or cap, whichever is not in use. There’s a fill port plug in there and topped with a decent 1-4 scope (effectively a two eye red dot on 1x).

It’s no Leshiy but it’s very accurate and cheaper! I love it now it works.

Thanks all for your sound and correct advice!!
    NON SUFFICIT ORBIS

https://i.imgur.com/AR2uYYb.jpg

Stock buffers to eliminate flop. Just 5mm rubber superglued into a drilled hole and trimmed to length. Easy mod but very worthwhile.
    NON SUFFICIT ORBIS

NON SUFFICIT ORBIS