Thread: Wow, I'm rusty!

Wow, I'm rusty!

My new (to me) FAS 604 arrived today
    Couldn't resist a quick plink at 6 yards(ish).
    Like an old friend (owned one 10 or 11 years ago and haven't shot pistol since) but OMG, I need some practice!

Very happy with the gun though - chronos consistently at about 380fps but the grip feels a bit snug (no adjustable palm shelf on this, which I guess makes it a mk1?).
    Might have to seek out a larger grip (or try making one - gulp) wonder if FAS6004 grips fit? I'll have to do some research.

Matt,

What a lovely pistol

I am sure it will do you proud in the MPL.

You will soon pick up the knack again, especially with regular practice

( Practice doesn't seem to have done me much good, as I am still sh!te after all these years !! )

Have fun

Best regards

Russ

Thanks Russ 😁

Hi Matt,

I took some pictures of the NARPA Target Holder Mark 111 design and plans for you when I was at the club tonight and I have sent them to you by email.

When I open them up on my computer the text reads easily and the plans can be clearly seen, so hopefully you will be tempted to get hold of some 3/4" plywood and get started over the bank holiday!

I upgraded all the ply to 3/4" Gaboon Ply for the sides, top, base and angled pellet deflector (covered with steel plate as per plans) when I made ours in 1971 and they are fit for at least anther half century and they have had tons of lead hurled at them over the years - including plenty of 12 ft/lbs stuff when testing .22 and .177 sporting rifles etc.

B&Q and others are happy to cut the ply to width for you so it could be a simple assembly job if you choose to buy your ply from them.

Apart from replacing the front target holder plates (these can be made from hardboard (masonite) or plastic cards etc) as they are designed to be "shot through" in the event of a bad missed shot (that is not even on the target ) and they are cheap and easy to replace (make a couple of spares if you are really struggling!).

I am away for the bank holiday now but hope you keep practising and make good use of your pellet trap!

Bob.
    Rossendale Target Shooting Club. Every Tuesday and Thursday evening 7 - 10pm.

Quote Originally Posted by zooma View Post
    Hi Matt,

I took some pictures of the NARPA Target Holder Mark 111 design and plans for you when I was at the club tonight and I have sent them to you by email.

When I open them up on my computer the text reads easily and the plans can be clearly seen, so hopefully you will be tempted to get hold of some 3/4" plywood and get started over the bank holiday!

I upgraded all the ply to 3/4" Gaboon Ply for the sides, top, base and angled pellet deflector (covered with steel plate as per plans) when I made ours in 1971 and they are fit for at least anther half century and they have had tons of lead hurled at them over the years - including plenty of 12 ft/lbs stuff when testing .22 and .177 sporting rifles etc.

B&Q and others are happy to cut the ply to width for you so it could be a simple assembly job if you choose to buy your ply from them.

Apart from replacing the front target holder plates (these can be made from hardboard (masonite) or plastic cards etc) as they are designed to be "shot through" in the event of a bad missed shot (that is not even on the target ) and they are cheap and easy to replace (make a couple of spares if you are really struggling!).

I am away for the bank holiday now but hope you keep practising and make good use of your pellet trap!

Bob.
    Many thanks Bob - that's really kind of you.
    That's my bank holiday project sorted out!
    Best
    Matt

Matt,

While you are making Zooma's spiffy target holder, you can try the 'economy' version

Cardboard box (about folded broadsheet newspaper size) filled with newspaper - mine is about six (6) inches deep, with targets rubber-banded to box.

Spare anglepoise light supplies the illumination

( As an enhancement, intersperse old Sainsburys or other 'glossy' magazines into the stack of newspapers - this really helps with ca. 11 ft.lb rifles. )

Very quiet in use, and needs partially re-packing abut once a forthnight (I tend to shoot every day).

Have fun & a good Bank Holiday

Best regards

Russ

That's exactly the version I've been using since getting my pistol!

Cheers
    Matt

Quote Originally Posted by PhatMan View Post
    Matt,

While you are making Zooma's spiffy target holder, you can try the 'economy' version

Cardboard box (about folded broadsheet newspaper size) filled with newspaper - mine is about six (6) inches deep, with targets rubber-banded to box.

Spare anglepoise light supplies the illumination

( As an enhancement, intersperse old Sainsburys or other 'glossy' magazines into the stack of newspapers - this really helps with ca. 11 ft.lb rifles. )

Very quiet in use, and needs partially re-packing abut once a forthnight (I tend to shoot every day).

Best regards

Russ

Matt,

Snap

I'm using an ammunition box stuffed with rags - target held on with magnets.

Great idea

Best regards

Russ