Quote Originally Posted by dvd View Post
A possible initial alternative to drilling the pin out is to rough up the face of the pin with some abrasive paper, put a dab of superglue and stick a small stub of metal of the same diameter as the pin. Try and make it just long enough to get a grip on it with pliers and when set, pull on it without any sideways movement so as not to shear the stub till enough of the original pin is visible to allow a good grip directly on it. Penetrating oil and heating the action with a hair dryer may be enough to expand and lubricate the hole easing the extraction process.

Alternatively, you may have enough room to accurately drill a small hole in the pin and screw in a screw such as found on spectacle frames. It may well start to turn of its own accord as you drill which is a good sign that it will possibly come out by tapping and then let gravity and inertia do the work.

Failing that, I would drill it out completely without touching the action. A pin is just a pin and I do not think it will greatly affect the value of the piece if it is replaced.
The replacement pin would be partially threaded internally to facilitate future extraction should need be.

I do not know what to think about the design when pins like these are used and one has to resort to drilling to remove them.
But I certainly don't shy away from improving something if I can without ruining the uniqueness of the basic design.
HTH
Thanks I actually thought of trying both those ideas. Will try the glue first as it seems the easiest and I think would work? Appreciate your thoughts added detail that will be helpful.