Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Airgun world/archant

As a self confessed airgun fanatic ( my wife would have another name for this), I find reading anything airgun related of interest, even if it is something I already know. Sometimes its an encouragement to know there are others like myself who feel the same way. I grew up with Airgun world/Airgunner/Sporting air rifle, all these magazines made me the fanatic I am today, truth is I'd be richer in pocket if I hadn't gone down this airgun addiction route. I like to think of it as richer in knowledge for having read them and still reading them today.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve C. View Post
    Hmmm, letter confirming subscription, e-mail stating otherwise. Disappointed really and couldn't find the attached free post envelope!!

Steve C.
    Steve - I'm sorry if you've been inconvenienced by the subscription process, but if you still wish to subscribe please call me at the office - 01189 742 511 - on Tuesday and I'll sort it for you. I'll be there from 07.30 to 14.30, but if I'm out please leave your number and I'll get back to you, OK?
    If you don't know enough to judge - don't judge

Quote Originally Posted by nikonman View Post
    Quickly grew tired of all those formulaic photos. of characters giving mindless, orchestrated 'thumbs-up" gestures to the most banal articles ...
    Each to their own and all that, but the above statement has intrigued me. Could you elaborate on it a little, please? We have a policy of continual consultation with our readers and I'd honestly like to know more about what you obviously see as a major fault with AGW.

For the record, Air Gunner and Airgun World are shaped by what our readers tell us they want to see in them. We've studied and listened to literally thousands of opinions and considered every one. Obviously, we can't please everyone but we try really hard to please as many as we can, guided by reader input. The fact is, over 60% list hunting as their main interest, so that has to be catered for. That said, we're always keen to showcase new interests or fresh takes on established topics, so if anyone has anything constructive to offer, please get in touch.

All the best.

Quote Originally Posted by Portzy View Post
    Too much black stuff, PCP, esoterica etc and I never really understood the amount of kit a fella called Garvey hauled round the place just for a few woodies.
    If 'black stuff' is released, we're obliged to cover that, surely? See also, PCPs, and the odd bit of 'esoterica', purely out of interest value. If we stuck mainly to non-black, non-PCP and non-quirky content, our mags would have a bit of a narrow focus, don't you think?

As for Mick's pigeon-shooting gear, which bits of it do you consider superfluous? As ever, all constructive input very much welcome.

Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by Terry D View Post
    If 'black stuff' is released, we're obliged to cover that, surely? See also, PCPs, and the odd bit of 'esoterica', purely out of interest value. If we stuck mainly to non-black, non-PCP and non-quirky content, our mags would have a bit of a narrow focus, don't you think?

As for Mick's pigeon-shooting gear, which bits of it do you consider superfluous? As ever, all constructive input very much welcome.

Thanks.
    Terry, I don't feel that you are obliged to rule any product variant in or out of your magazine it's just that to me, a reader of long standing, (I still have the blue plastic pellet seater that came free with an issue in the early 80's/late 70's ), some, not all, of the coverage does not float my boat.

For example,

The DS Pulsar that's reviewed in the March issue. It's mainly black, it's very esoteric, nearly 2k, but of no interest to me but I accept that it is to some. Is it an air rifle or an electro mechanical device for the delivery of lead alloy projectiles?

The M4 looky likey BB gun. Very black, don't let the neighbours see it.

A 40ftlb+ Umarex Gauntlet. Very black, very long, very heavy and with limited appeal in the UK I would wager.

On a lighter note,

The reviews of the Winchesters in the previous month was great as was the "open sight revisit" to one of them this month.

The review / fettle of the BSA Shooting Star is brilliant as are Jims articles.

As I said earlier. I'm of extended years, I have a broad interest in shooting and firearms, am somewhat traditional in my tastes, I do own a singular PCP for a very specific need and it's simply a tool, everything else is wood and steel and springs and hammers and chokes and bolts.

Lastly, looking at p65, I would say pretty much all of it to be fair.

In my neck of the woods;

Ferrals in the barn? HW30/99 + Hawke 2-7x32 all day long. Woodies on stubble etc? HW99/95 + Hawke 2-7x32/3-9x40.

I'm of the opinion that there are no ferral or small game animals in the UK that cannot be humanely targeted with a 2-7 or 3-9 at air or rimfire ranges.

I know you have a tough call to make to appeal to a broad readership and I'm not knocking what you do, the angling mags have gone the same or similar ways, to me at least.

Thank you for giving me the opportunity to answer and can I also thank you for being such a champion for air shooters over the years, long may that continue.

Quote Originally Posted by Portzy View Post

Lastly, looking at p65, I would say pretty much all of it to be fair.

In my neck of the woods;

Ferrals in the barn? HW30/99 + Hawke 2-7x32 all day long. Woodies on stubble etc? HW99/95 + Hawke 2-7x32/3-9x40.

I'm of the opinion that there are no ferral or small game animals in the UK that cannot be humanely targeted with a 2-7 or 3-9 at air or rimfire ranges. .
    Thanks for the kind words and constructive input, Portzy, much appreciated.

As for Mick's pigeon shooting gear, like many, if not most, 'serious' vermin controllers, he prefers to use the best equipment available to him, under the conditions of the day. Yes, the hardware you suggest would do a fair job of it, but Mick trains with the gear he has the most confidence in. I do the same, these days, and I appreciate the increased efficiency it gives me.

Thanks again for the response, Portzy.

All the best.

Quote Originally Posted by p.j. View Post
    As a self confessed airgun fanatic ( my wife would have another name for this), I find reading anything airgun related of interest, even if it is something I already know. Sometimes its an encouragement to know there are others like myself who feel the same way. I grew up with Airgun world/Airgunner/Sporting air rifle, all these magazines made me the fanatic I am today, truth is I'd be richer in pocket if I hadn't gone down this airgun addiction route. I like to think of it as richer in knowledge for having read them and still reading them today.
    100% the case with me too.

Back "in the day", had Airgun World not been launched, I wouldn't dare to think how things may have turned out for me........

By the age of about 12 I wanted an airgun, but knew virtually nothing about them. There were some of the oiky lads who hung about on the canal side where I fished who used Webley Premiers and the like to shoot rats. Although my dad used a 12 bore (and I was his appointed rabbit carrier), all the grown ups I met and asked knew nothing about airguns and just regarded them as pointless toys. I did finally manage to find a few references in Exchange and Mart and The Shooting Times carried adverts for (I seem to remember) the Webley Hawk. I later then saw them for sale in various home shopping catalogues.

So the launch of Airgun World was most certainly a life altering and enrichening event for me. And, indeed, I believe for the airgunning world in general. At last, airguns were to be taken seriously and this new found enthusiasm helped drive development, especially once FT arrived. Prior to this I guess that the German market will have been strong for lower powered target weapons. The US market would have been awash with junior plinkers to launch shooting careers, with the exception of some rifles like the Sheridans. I'd say that their interest in "adult, precision airguns" was a spin-off from the surge in interest and knowledge from the UK and Dr Beeman drove this?

So I think we're greatly indebted to those pioneers of the airgun press of the late seventies.

Now, to rest on their laurels would have been so easy but I also believe that the Archant publications are top quality items, catering for many tastes and I await them dropping through the letter box each month with as much enthusiasm as I ever did.
    THE BOINGER BASH AT QUIGLEY HOLLOW. MAKING GREAT MEMORIES SINCE 15th JUNE, 2013.
    NEXT EVENT :- May 4/5, 2024.........BOING!!

Quote Originally Posted by TonyL View Post
    100% the case with me too.

Back "in the day", had Airgun World not been launched, I wouldn't dare to think how things may have turned out for me........

By the age of about 12 I wanted an airgun, but knew virtually nothing about them. There were some of the oiky lads who hung about on the canal side where I fished who used Webley Premiers and the like to shoot rats. Although my dad used a 12 bore (and I was his appointed rabbit carrier), all the grown ups I met and asked knew nothing about airguns and just regarded them as pointless toys. I did finally manage to find a few references in Exchange and Mart and The Shooting Times carried adverts for (I seem to remember) the Webley Hawk. I later then saw them for sale in various home shopping catalogues.

So the launch of Airgun World was most certainly a life altering and enrichening event for me. And, indeed, I believe for the airgunning world in general. At last, airguns were to be taken seriously and this new found enthusiasm helped drive development, especially once FT arrived. Prior to this I guess that the German market will have been strong for lower powered target weapons. The US market would have been awash with junior plinkers to launch shooting careers, with the exception of some rifles like the Sheridans. I'd say that their interest in "adult, precision airguns" was a spin-off from the surge in interest and knowledge from the UK and Dr Beeman drove this?

So I think we're greatly indebted to those pioneers of the airgun press of the late seventies.

Now, to rest on their laurels would have been so easy but I also believe that the Archant publications are top quality items, catering for many tastes and I await them dropping through the letter box each month with as much enthusiasm as I ever did.
    Agree with that.

Except, on the history, the US “adult airgun” market, heavily based on pushing German and, early on, British, springers as superior to BB guns and pumpers, really got going in the early-mid seventies through the rival efforts of Robert (Air Rifle Headquarters) Law and Bob (Beeman) Beeman. Slightly predating AGW, which I think emerged around 1978.

I don’t get the snark on here and elsewhere for the mags. They are what they are. I have subscribed to AGW for 20 or 30 years. About half the content (new special edition Daystate, yawn) is of no interest to me personally, but then some of Terry’s writing is really good - usually about shooting itself rather than shooting the new special edition Daystate- and, to take the current example, John M’s consistently good historic content, a nice piece on an old Tracker, a good piece by Phil Price on how to shoot a pistol, Jim’s tech bit. All good stuff. For me. But I’m probably not the core target market.

Yes, if you ask the right question and know the right people you can get better info on here on how to tune an 80 or sort an R10 regulator, but only probably 1% (my guess) of airgun people are members. The mags speak to a wider audience. And that is good.

Re the dating for the growth in popularity in the US, gotcha Geez.

I did once buy one of the Beeman catalogues, guessing around 1981, will have to have a little search for it. I seem to remember it being a very nice and glossy affair.
    THE BOINGER BASH AT QUIGLEY HOLLOW. MAKING GREAT MEMORIES SINCE 15th JUNE, 2013.

Quote Originally Posted by Geezer View Post
    Agree with that.

Except, on the history, the US “adult airgun” market, heavily based on pushing German and, early on, British, springers as superior to BB guns and pumpers, really got going in the early-mid seventies through the rival efforts of Robert (Air Rifle Headquarters) Law and Bob (Beeman) Beeman. Slightly predating AGW, which I think emerged around 1978.

I don’t get the snark on here and elsewhere for the mags. They are what they are. I have subscribed to AGW for 20 or 30 years. About half the content (new special edition Daystate, yawn) is of no interest to me personally, but then some of Terry’s writing is really good - usually about shooting itself rather than shooting the new special edition Daystate- and, to take the current example, John M’s consistently good historic content, a nice piece on an old Tracker, a good piece by Phil Price on how to shoot a pistol, Jim’s tech bit. All good stuff. For me. But I’m probably not the core target market.

Yes, if you ask the right question and know the right people you can get better info on here on how to tune an 80 or sort an R10 regulator, but only probably 1% (my guess) of airgun people are members. The mags speak to a wider audience. And that is good.
    Hi Geezer,

I recently obtained some original Air Rifle HQ literature from the 1960s and agree Robert Law was the true pioneer of adult airguns in the U.S. Most was target orientated but hunting and plinking arms were also included and reviewed. I hope to feature some of this content in a future review.

Thank you and Tony for the kind comments by the way.

Kind regards,

John M

I've had all three airgun mags since they came out until Sporting Air Rifle stopped, still have Airgunner and AGW on subscription and not missed a copy

Interesting thread though
    Custom BSA S10 .22 PAX Phoenix Mk 2 .22 Custom Titan Manitou .22 (JB BP) HW77 .22 FWB Sport Mk1 .22 Sharp Ace .22 Crossman 600 .22 Berretta 92 .20 Desert Eagle .177

Quote Originally Posted by Josie & John View Post
    Hi Geezer,

I recently obtained some original Air Rifle HQ literature from the 1960s and agree Robert Law was the true pioneer of adult airguns in the U.S. Most was target orientated but hunting and plinking arms were also included and reviewed. I hope to feature some of this content in a future review.

Thank you and Tony for the kind comments by the way.

Kind regards,

John M
    My pleasure, sir, and I always look forward to a reading of your articles.

A feature on the above mentioned literature will be most welcome and enlightening.

I used to read both the mentioned magazines until the News agents stopped selling them along with other gun related magazines. No disrespect but I didn't really miss them. I used to enjoy looking at the rifles spread over two pages and the Venom HW80 Hunter in their ad back in the day
    John Darling JD (1946-2004) was my inspiration to be the best i can and enjoy the sport i love. R.I.P
    A dedicated HW80 Fanatic and owner since 1986 to present.

I have a premonition coming.....its telling me keep reading Airgun World....there will be some heavy (HW80) content soon.

reading airgun magazines got me into shooting when I was in my 20's

only reason I don't read them now is that there isn't a DG section