Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Airgun world/archant

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Airgun world/archant

Well, I have sent 2 e-mails to them and not had the courtesy of a reply. I had always renewed my subscriptions annually at the MGF but since their non-appearance last year I let it lapse. However, I took a years subscription at the British Shooting Show and paid on the day by card. I received a letter dated the 28th February thanking me for renewing and quoting my details, the starting issue and dates.

All good so far..but it didn't last.

On Wednesday I received the following e-mail (apologies for the lack of cut/paste methods)

"Thank you for your order to Airgun World. Unfortunately, we were unable to process your payment as the card number or expiry date is invalid (What! I've used it several times since and expiry date is December 2019) Please provide a valid card number and expiry date in the space below and return this letter in the free post envelope enclosed (?? in an e-mail!!) or call us on +44(0) 1858 438 840

Card Number.. Expiry Date......

Please accept our sincere apologies for any inconvenience caused.
    Your sincerely,
    Customer Services Team"

So that is the situation to date. I will neither be e-mailing (and ignored again) nor renewing subscriptions to Airgun World and Air Gunner

Steve C.
    AirArms S400k L/H (.177)BTAS, tuned, AirArms S410k L/H (.177) walnut, BTAS tuned, AA MPR .177 L/H walnut (STOLEN) and...L/H EV2
    BASC

Coincidentally, I just changed my affiliation from AGW to Shooting Sports, (had Gunmart for a while and still do), due to having a broad interest in air, powder, and shotgun.

I was finding less to interest me to be fair, maybe my age. Too much black stuff, PCP, esoterica etc and I never really understood the amount of kit a fella called Garvey hauled round the place just for a few woodies.

Sorry if I upset a few folks but that's just how I see it.

By the nature reserve, in the Great Outwood, Wakef
    Card number or expiry date invalid? More than likely you’ve entered a wrong number when putting in your card details, it happens.

Suspicious of email origin

I’m always suspicious (paranoid) of fraud. Are you sure the email has come from the magazine?

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Valentine View Post
    Card number or expiry date invalid? More than likely you’ve entered a wrong number when putting in your card details, it happens.
    I didn't put the details in.

Steve C.
    AirArms S400k L/H (.177)BTAS, tuned, AirArms S410k L/H (.177) walnut, BTAS tuned, AA MPR .177 L/H walnut (STOLEN) and...L/H EV2
    BASC

By the nature reserve, in the Great Outwood, Wakef
    Ring them to find out instead of sulking?

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Valentine View Post
    Ring them to find out instead of sulking?

Hmmm, letter confirming subscription, e-mail stating otherwise. Disappointed really and couldn't find the attached free post envelope!!

Steve C.
    BASC

Quote Originally Posted by Portzy View Post
    Coincidentally, I just changed my affiliation from AGW to Shooting Sports, (had Gunmart for a while and still do), due to having a broad interest in air, powder, and shotgun.

I was finding less to interest me to be fair, maybe my age. Too much black stuff, PCP, esoterica etc and I never really understood the amount of kit a fella called Garvey hauled round the place just for a few woodies.

Do agree re. AGW. In the 3 years that I've read both AGW and AG, I much preferred the latter magazine. The editor who has (sadly) recently left, imbued it with a less 'personal'/biased stance and more inclusive feel than its sister title. Although I initially subscribed to both (I was a keen little bu**er then!), I soon dropped AGW. Quickly grew tired of all those formulaic photos. of characters giving mindless, orchestrated 'thumbs-up" gestures to the most banal articles/features and the interminable, regular cast of camo. be-decked hunters, looking like the extras from a "Wrong Turn" movie, posing heroically (!) in front of their bag of "tree rats, scaly tails" et al. Must appeal to some I suppose, but not me.....

Quote Originally Posted by nikonman View Post
    Quickly grew tired of all those formulaic photos. of characters giving mindless, orchestrated 'thumbs-up" gestures to the most banal articles ...
    Each to their own and all that, but the above statement has intrigued me. Could you elaborate on it a little, please? We have a policy of continual consultation with our readers and I'd honestly like to know more about what you obviously see as a major fault with AGW.

For the record, Air Gunner and Airgun World are shaped by what our readers tell us they want to see in them. We've studied and listened to literally thousands of opinions and considered every one. Obviously, we can't please everyone but we try really hard to please as many as we can, guided by reader input. The fact is, over 60% list hunting as their main interest, so that has to be catered for. That said, we're always keen to showcase new interests or fresh takes on established topics, so if anyone has anything constructive to offer, please get in touch.

All the best.
    If you don't know enough to judge - don't judge

I wouldn't worry Portzy, I doubt you'll upset anyone on here with your choice of reading material, as long as you're shooting and enjoying it --- that's all that matters.

I'd pay no attention to the retards on other forums who falsely claim that the BBS is run by Archant, in fact one deluded old twat has wasted the last eight years of his life blaming a publishing company for his removal from this forum.

I actually think it's highly commendable that the good people of Melbourne, Derbyshire, carry on with the ancient English tradition of having a village idiot.

Last edited by T 20; 29-03-2019 at 08:13 PM.

Your card expires before the subscription date ends
    ,AA , Magtech , Arnie, Sako, Ruger . plus the others .

Quote Originally Posted by B&W FOX View Post
    Your card expires before the subscription date ends
    Surely, an annual subscription would be taken as one payment at point of sale, in advance of delivery of said item?...

All this means is that they would not have a valid card on file for the purposes of renewal? (upon authorisation by the card holder of course)
    blah blah

Quote Originally Posted by DCL_dave View Post
    Surely, an annual subscription would be taken as one payment at point of sale, in advance of delivery of said item?... Precisely

All this means is that they would not have a valid card on file for the purposes of renewal? (upon authorisation by the card holder of course)

Steve C.
    BASC

Too much black stuff, PCP, esoterica etc and I never really understood the amount of kit a fella called Garvey hauled round the place just for a few woodies.
    If 'black stuff' is released, we're obliged to cover that, surely? See also, PCPs, and the odd bit of 'esoterica', purely out of interest value. If we stuck mainly to non-black, non-PCP and non-quirky content, our mags would have a bit of a narrow focus, don't you think?

As for Mick's pigeon-shooting gear, which bits of it do you consider superfluous? As ever, all constructive input very much welcome.

Thanks.
    If you don't know enough to judge - don't judge

Quote Originally Posted by Terry D View Post
    If 'black stuff' is released, we're obliged to cover that, surely? See also, PCPs, and the odd bit of 'esoterica', purely out of interest value. If we stuck mainly to non-black, non-PCP and non-quirky content, our mags would have a bit of a narrow focus, don't you think?

As for Mick's pigeon-shooting gear, which bits of it do you consider superfluous? As ever, all constructive input very much welcome.

Thanks.
    Terry, I don't feel that you are obliged to rule any product variant in or out of your magazine it's just that to me, a reader of long standing, (I still have the blue plastic pellet seater that came free with an issue in the early 80's/late 70's ), some, not all, of the coverage does not float my boat.

For example,

The DS Pulsar that's reviewed in the March issue. It's mainly black, it's very esoteric, nearly 2k, but of no interest to me but I accept that it is to some. Is it an air rifle or an electro mechanical device for the delivery of lead alloy projectiles?

The M4 looky likey BB gun. Very black, don't let the neighbours see it.

A 40ftlb+ Umarex Gauntlet. Very black, very long, very heavy and with limited appeal in the UK I would wager.

On a lighter note,

The reviews of the Winchesters in the previous month was great as was the "open sight revisit" to one of them this month.

The review / fettle of the BSA Shooting Star is brilliant as are Jims articles.

As I said earlier. I'm of extended years, I have a broad interest in shooting and firearms, am somewhat traditional in my tastes, I do own a singular PCP for a very specific need and it's simply a tool, everything else is wood and steel and springs and hammers and chokes and bolts.

Lastly, looking at p65, I would say pretty much all of it to be fair.

In my neck of the woods;

Ferrals in the barn? HW30/99 + Hawke 2-7x32 all day long. Woodies on stubble etc? HW99/95 + Hawke 2-7x32/3-9x40.

I'm of the opinion that there are no ferral or small game animals in the UK that cannot be humanely targeted with a 2-7 or 3-9 at air or rimfire ranges.

I know you have a tough call to make to appeal to a broad readership and I'm not knocking what you do, the angling mags have gone the same or similar ways, to me at least.

Thank you for giving me the opportunity to answer and can I also thank you for being such a champion for air shooters over the years, long may that continue.