Thread: BSA Cadet Major CB prefix?

BSA Cadet Major CB prefix?

Seen this gun a few times on freeads, listed as a BSA Cadet Major (1955) with rare serial number.

Apparently a CB prefix, which I have never seen before on a Cadet Major. Though the stamping looks odd to me, at least the 'CB' looks to be a different font. Anyone ever see one of these before?

Could be one of a kind(?)

https://www.freeads.co.uk/uk/buy-sel...w#.XNBVMo5KguU
    Last edited by Huttles94; 06-05-2019 at 03:54 PM. Reason: added link

I have been waiting for a logical explanation to the CB issue but none has appeared so have a 'bump' of sorts. Maybe it is a true rarity? Maybe a mix up at the factory? Maybe it was originally a different set of letters that have been overstamped (not very likely; you must ask why?).
    Was CB actually issued? I am guessing that people are referring to information on BSA issued by John Knibbs that does not list CB. But then the lists given in e.g. Golden Century are not complete ... for instance PB is not listed (Scorpion pistol .177) so I guess there could be more omissions.
    Does anyone have a definitive answer?
    Cheers, Phil

The CC pre-fix on my Cadet Major is the same size as the following sequence of numbers which is not the case on this example.

I'm no expert, but it maybe just the result of an attempt by someone knowing the lack of any other CB pre-fixed Cadet Majors to pass this off as one.

Brian

cb prefix,

i have several cadets early and later. certainly looks like number has been interfered with? who knows?