Thread: Daystate Air Ranger advice

tinbum is offline Killer Vampire Lesbians on scooters

Daystate Air Ranger advice

I saw one for sale today at what I think is a very tempting price. It's .22 (natch) with one mag, single shot tray and the 500cc bottle. There are a few dings and marks but nothing much to worry about. What should I be looking for? Are there different versions/ages with plus and minus points? What would you consider a good price for one?

Thanks all
    My ignore list: ​<Hidden information>

Quote Originally Posted by tinbum View Post
    I saw one for sale today at what I think is a very tempting price. It's .22 (natch) with one mag, single shot tray and the 500cc bottle. There are a few dings and marks but nothing much to worry about. What should I be looking for? Are there different versions/ages with plus and minus points? What would you consider a good price for one?

Thanks all
    I think a nice one would be a good buy at £600, I have the non regged one , mk2 2012 model, I prefer the mk2 without the reg, mine had the anti tamper screws fitted from new and the barrel support, With the right pellets they are a very accurate gun and a very high shot count. The early ones had a white pressure gage, Mine being a mk2 had the black gage, If not fitted or it's been removed you will need the barrel support, The condition above I would say anything between £450 and £550, Very good guns,

I had both mk1 & mk2
    The mk1 was better imo as the reg worked well over the full charge, mine was accurate and faultless and because it was so good I fell for the mk2 sales blurb saying It was updated and superior, well mine wasn't with poor consistency and a powercurve and a very fussy barrel, plus the action is very noisey and sounded like bits were flying around inside, I never liked the mk2 as I felt it sucked me in and made me sell my perfect mk1

Id say look for a mk1, the stock guards the trigger, the mk2 has a metal guard. There probably is good and bad in both versions but Ive never shot a bad mk1, a buddy has just bought one and hes very happy with it.

Prices are around 450/500

Chris
    bigtoe, Harry, hydroclamp, jpsnorton, gayle89, mark410, Stu83, smallholder1, wellhouse0, readingcop, sir-slots-alot, danco1987, Stevenb, DarylDiane, simpleSimon, Ratinator, Milek, Josh, Maxtich, Woodsie99, Ozzie, master_shriller, niloc, Drake267, deejayuu, shootingstars

Quote Originally Posted by 32:1 View Post
    I had both mk1 & mk2
    The mk1 was better imo as the reg worked well over the full charge, mine was accurate and faultless and because it was so good I fell for the mk2 sales blurb saying It was updated and superior, well mine wasn't with poor consistency and a powercurve and a very fussy barrel, plus the action is very noisey and sounded like bits were flying around inside, I never liked the mk2 as I felt it sucked me in and made me sell my perfect mk1

Id say look for a mk1, the stock guards the trigger, the mk2 has a metal guard. There probably is good and bad in both versions but Ive never shot a bad mk1, a buddy has just bought one and hes very happy with it.

Prices are around 450/500

Chris
    Never had a problem with mine in all the ears I've had it, You may have bought a lemon, More so if bits were flying about inside,

Quote Originally Posted by tinbum View Post

Thanks all
    Hi Nick,

I’ve owned a few Rangers over the years overall none had any significant issues.

As mentioned above there’s the Mk1 and Mk2, the earlier Mk1 version being regulated and easy enough to distinguish quickly by the stock forming the Trigger Guard as mentioned above the Mk2 has metal Trigger Guard.

If it is a Mk1 take the stock off and it’s easy enough to identify that there’s a regulator setup fitted.

Strangely I’ve read a few recent posts eluding to this barrel band setup I always thought it was a 500cc bottle thing when the band was fitted as I’m sure none of my rangers or wolfs using the 400cc bottle ever had a barrel band fitted and I never noticed any issues with accuracy on any of them

I know one of my previous Rangers from many years ago was used quite successfully in competition shooting from a chap up north and was a very accurate rifle I did a deal with a another chap on here and swapped that ranger and it ended up down south many years ago not sure if the chap still has that ranger but it was certainly awesome.

As with any pcp especially with the age of rangers getting on a bit now seals are the only thing I’ve ever had to do.

Think the only seal that drove me mad was the transfer port seals as the top of the action has a bit of a pattern to make sure it’s bolted back together correctly bit like doing a head gasket with head bolts being tightened in sequence the top of the action has little cap screws and the bigger slot head screws in the middle I spoke to daystate about it and it’s crucial there not over tightened and done in some pattern to avoid transfer port leaks and inconsistencies.

Regards prices that all depends really on age, model and condition plus if there’s any extras etc

Just to add if anyone needs the procedure for transfer port seals Wolf/Ranger

Just dug out my old notes:

Slot head breach screws first (centre), then forward left, rearward right, forward right, rearward left. Finger tight + 1/2 - 3/4 extra turns to finish. Do not over tighten as they strip very easily, especially the BA type. TP seals should be very slightly wet (silicon) when fitting.

Great rifles one of the best Daystate ones I have two one in .177 and one in .22 along with the LE Red Ranger. I have never had a single problem with mine. Very accurate with a good shot count, make sure that the rifle cycles the magazine correctly Daystate have a bad habit of changing magazine design which does catch people out I bought two new ones for my .22 and ended up sending them back as the indexing sucked. Other wise a good solid rifle.

Quote Originally Posted by madcarlos View Post
    Never had a problem with mine in all the ears I've had it, You may have bought a lemon, More so if bits were flying about inside,
    Both were new and I was told the noise was the hammer system. I could of put up with that but add the fact it just wasn't as accurate as the mk1 I was miffed that Id got sucked in the " NEW" version must be better speil. And yes it just could of been a Friday afternoon rifle, but I hated the poxy thing in the end
    bigtoe, Harry, hydroclamp, jpsnorton, gayle89, mark410, Stu83, smallholder1, wellhouse0, readingcop, sir-slots-alot, danco1987, Stevenb, DarylDiane, simpleSimon, Ratinator, Milek, Josh, Maxtich, Woodsie99, Ozzie, master_shriller, niloc, Drake267, deejayuu, shootingstars

Quote Originally Posted by 32:1 View Post
    Both were new and I was told the noise was the hammer system. I could of put up with that but add the fact it just wasn't as accurate as the mk1 I was miffed that Id got sucked in the " NEW" version must be better speil. And yes it just could of been a Friday afternoon rifle, but I hated the poxy thing in the end
    Hey of course there was something not right somewhere, Mine is quiet, I dont even use a silencer now, But hey maybe a manufacturer fault somewhere,