Thread: I.C.1 Martini Henry markings

I.C.1 Martini Henry markings

I recently acquired a nice 1879 Martini Henry Carbine, I understand that the I.C.1 means "Interchangeable Carbine Mark 1". And after a little research found out about them and that they were made in the 1870's for various cavalry, artillery and infantry units and were made so it was easier and more cost efficient to have one rifle for all three without the need to actually manufacture different style of firearm. So these carbines were made so that to chance a carbine from a Cavalry carbine to a Infantry one, all they had to do was switch over the front band to one that had a bayonet lug on it. Only made for a few years so kind of interesting.

What I dont know are the meaning of the various markings on the rifle. I have tried to take good pictures on my phone whilst having the camera look through my magnifying glass so I apologies if they are of bad quality. It is marked Enfield 1879 I.C.1 2, Enfield being a Enfield made rifle, I.C.1 (see above) and the 2 meaning second class firearm(?). I also recognize the Sold out of service marking (two arrow heads pointing at each other). There are also various other markings on the stock, most are number with two dates (one being 1891 above the Rawul Pindi stamp, probably the year it was shipped east? 1895, dont know why this is stamped, maybe when it had an inspection? and some other numbers such as 12 91, 15 and underneath the sold out of service mark on the stock, it is stamped 44).

I also will include a image of a marking on the stock which I think is for the rawalpindi arsenal the British had in Pakistan (stamp is actually rawul.pindi in a circle which I have been told is the old spelling?) so it must have been sent east at some point in its life.

The various marks on the metal work are unknown to me. Though underneath the woodwork on the barrel near the receiver it is stamped 5/79 which I guess is the date of manufacture? I dont have a photo of this marking sorry, forgot to get one before I put it back together.

So if anyone knows what any of these markings mean, do please tell.

It is a great little rifle, had to replace some parts such as the trigger spring and striker and there is some pitting on the underside of the barrel but the bore is near mint.

Here are the images:

https://imgur.com/gallery/CStDgKu

all the E stamps are inspector stamps
    you should 2 BP proof stamps
    your rifle was shipped out to far east.
    join british military forum as i am a member too and they will answer all your questions

Quote Originally Posted by Huttles94 View Post
    I recently acquired a nice 1879 Martini Henry Carbine, I understand that the I.C.1 means "Interchangeable Carbine Mark 1". And after a little research found out about them and that they were made in the 1870's for various cavalry, artillery and infantry units and were made so it was easier and more cost efficient to have one rifle for all three without the need to actually manufacture different style of firearm. So these carbines were made so that to chance a carbine from a Cavalry carbine to a Infantry one, all they had to do was switch over the front band to one that had a bayonet lug on it. Only made for a few years so kind of interesting.

What I dont know are the meaning of the various markings on the rifle. I have tried to take good pictures on my phone whilst having the camera look through my magnifying glass so I apologies if they are of bad quality. It is marked Enfield 1879 I.C.1 2, Enfield being a Enfield made rifle, I.C.1 (see above) and the 2 meaning second class firearm(?). I also recognize the Sold out of service marking (two arrow heads pointing at each other). There are also various other markings on the stock, most are number with two dates (one being 1891 above the Rawul Pindi stamp, probably the year it was shipped east? 1895, dont know why this is stamped, maybe when it had an inspection? and some other numbers such as 12 91, 15 and underneath the sold out of service mark on the stock, it is stamped 44).

I also will include a image of a marking on the stock which I think is for the rawalpindi arsenal the British had in Pakistan (stamp is actually rawul.pindi in a circle which I have been told is the old spelling?) so it must have been sent east at some point in its life.

The various marks on the metal work are unknown to me. Though underneath the woodwork on the barrel near the receiver it is stamped 5/79 which I guess is the date of manufacture? I dont have a photo of this marking sorry, forgot to get one before I put it back together.

So if anyone knows what any of these markings mean, do please tell.

It is a great little rifle, had to replace some parts such as the trigger spring and striker and there is some pitting on the underside of the barrel but the bore is near mint.

Here are the images:

https://imgur.com/gallery/CStDgKu
    Just a footnote to your interesting post. Rawalpindi was not in Pakistan, a place that did not exist until 1949, but in what was then called the Punjab district of NW British India. It is now one of the so-called 'twin-cities' of the capital of present-day Pakistan- Islamabad.

Do you intend too shoot this little carbine? If so, you are in for a real treat.

Quote Originally Posted by tacfoley View Post
    Just a footnote to your interesting post. Rawalpindi was not in Pakistan, a place that did not exist until 1949, but in what was then called the Punjab district of NW British India. It is now one of the so-called 'twin-cities' of the capital of present-day Pakistan- Islamabad.

Do you intend too shoot this little carbine? If so, you are in for a real treat.
    Ah right, thank you for that information, Granted I am no history buff! And yes I am planning on shooting it one day, hopefully. Though I will get it checked over by a professional gunsmith before I do so since there is pitting on the outside of the barrel (Mostly small patches but there is one somewhat large pit hole).

Quote Originally Posted by Huttles94 View Post
    Ah right, thank you for that information, Granted I am no history buff! And yes I am planning on shooting it one day, hopefully. Though I will get it checked over by a professional gunsmith before I do so since there is pitting on the outside of the barrel (Mostly small patches but there is one somewhat large pit hole).
    i shoot martini henrys so can give you advice if needed