Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: BSA r10 MK2 have I been lucky

BSA r10 MK2 have I been lucky

I recently picked up a 2015 made r10 MK2 VC in .177, now I've read so many horror stories regarding the regs failing all the time and having shocking barrels and consistency.

Well mine is very accurate and over a 30 shot string with exact 8.44 it had a low of 763fps and a high of 770fps with 26 shots been within 4fps which I'm happy about and it looks to have never been opened so it's 4/5 year old and still going strong

Nice one Matty ,
    In my experience you are one lucky chap.

Quote Originally Posted by Alakar View Post
    Nice one Matty ,
    In my experience you are one lucky chap.
    Yes I think it would seem that way, I was expecting to have to strip it and fiddle from the offset but this is staying as is till needs be.

There are a lot of horror stories about, but I have had no issues whatsoever with my Mk2 from 2014. Some Regs do seem to go after about 4 years so probably any day now for yours!

If it’s used regularly then it certainly helps to reduce problems. The worst thing you can do is not use it for months on end, which can lead to a build up of moisture inside that will cause issues.

Quote Originally Posted by Chubster View Post
    There are a lot of horror stories about, but I have had no issues whatsoever with my Mk2 from 2014. Some Regs do seem to go after about 4 years so probably any day now for yours!

If it’s used regularly then it certainly helps to reduce problems. The worst thing you can do is not use it for months on end, which can lead to a build up of moisture inside that will cause issues.
    That would be just my luck lol and yes I know regged rifles need using bud, its got the se reg so I'm guessing it was made right before the change from MK2 to se and I'm hoping the se reg is better ha.
    Last edited by mattyw1987; 17-03-2019 at 11:32 AM.

Jesim1 is offline Likes to wear driving gloves in the bedroom
    They are very hit and miss guns, some go for ages with no issues, others fall at the first hurdle being only weeks old. I personally would only have one if it had been worked on and had the paperwork for it, or I at least got it at a price where if it did go wrong (because I'd kind of expect it) that I could cover the cost of getting it sorted. So I'd say you have been one of the lucky ones as these guns do have a known history of failing, and predominantly it's regs and barrels.

James
    Making a mockery of growing old gracefully since I retired

Quote Originally Posted by Jesim1 View Post
    They are very hit and miss guns, some go for ages with no issues, others fall at the first hurdle being only weeks old. I personally would only have one if it had been worked on and had the paperwork for it, or I at least got it at a price where if it did go wrong (because I'd kind of expect it) that I could cover the cost of getting it sorted. So I'd say you have been one of the lucky ones as these guns do have a known history of failing, and predominantly it's regs and barrels.

James
    Yep I'm happy with it for sure and if and when the reg plays up stripping it cleaning and replacing the reg piston oring should be straight forward so happy days and I got it at a good price in a nice black pepper stock so smiles all around.

Thanks.

My R10 is one of the first MK2s and has so far worked as it should out of the box but yes it is hit and miss. My R10 will never be sold or traded in one hell of a great rifle.

Quote Originally Posted by sandyman1963 View Post
    My R10 is one of the first MK2s and has so far worked as it should out of the box but yes it is hit and miss. My R10 will never be sold or traded in one hell of a great rifle.
    Good to know that good ones are out there if you look around online all you here is horror stories.

I think that the problem with the R10 is that BSA used the public as Quality Control .
    As I picked my R10 up from the RFD , the BSA rep was actually there .
    " Great choice "he said " you'll have no problems with that "
    " Give me your mobile number , just in case " I said .
    He wouldn't.
    I got home , filled the rifle and went to the range . I got 8 shots .
    I returned home checked the rifle on my dive bottle , still full , got 8 more shots .
    The rifle spent 3 weeks at BSA , came back exactly the same and was traded in.
    I will never buy another BSA.

Quote Originally Posted by Alakar View Post
    I think that the problem with the R10 is that BSA used the public as Quality Control .
    As I picked my R10 up from the RFD , the BSA rep was actually there .
    " Great choice "he said " you'll have no problems with that "
    " Give me your mobile number , just in case " I said .
    He wouldn't.
    I got home , filled the rifle and went to the range . I got 8 shots .
    I returned home checked the rifle on my dive bottle , still full , got 8 more shots .
    The rifle spent 3 weeks at BSA , came back exactly the same and was traded in.
    I will never buy another BSA.
    Yes that really is shocking is that and shows the level of q.c or lack thereof, it's a shame aswell as they are nice if working correctly.

I bought a brand new R10 Mk2 that had problems right from the off so back to BSA it went.
    It came back with a note saying it had had a different Reg and Internals fitted.
    It still wasn't fixed so back it went to BSA again.
    They fitted ANOTHER Reg (3rd one in total) and this time all was well with the gun but, having lost all faith in the R10 at this stage, I traded it in.
    Won't be buying another BSA again.

Jesim1 is offline Likes to wear driving gloves in the bedroom
    I think reading this thread it highlights the need to get an R10 at the right price, even if it's working properly, because there is a high probability you will have to spend £150 getting it sorted by replacing its original reg with an aftermarket one somewhere down the line - plus the hassle of doing so.

It's a real shame as they are great guns when working, I have no idea why BSA don't just sort the bloody things and install a decent reg from the word go and charge the extra £20 it would cost at production level.

A great gun wasted in my opinion.
    Making a mockery of growing old gracefully since I retired

Quote Originally Posted by Jesim1 View Post
    I think reading this thread it highlights the need to get an R10 at the right price, even if it's working properly, because there is a high probability you will have to spend £150 getting it sorted by replacing its original reg with an aftermarket one somewhere down the line - plus the hassle of doing so.

It's a real shame as they are great guns when working, I have no idea why BSA don't just sort the bloody things and install a decent reg from the word go and charge the extra £20 it would cost at production level.

A great gun wasted in my opinion.
    Yes I think you are right bud, I mean I don't mind stripping it and cleaning the reg and sorting it out when needed but it's a used rifle if it was new or only a few months old it would be a different matter.

It will play up, they all do that wo worries ��