Thread: Breaking News. 77 world record spring!!

Breaking News. 77 world record spring!!

Just taken apart a 77k action I've had for a while to discover it had a 39 coil spring fitted. Over the years I've seen some long springs come out of a 77 but at 12.5 inches long this takes the record!!! Mach 1.5

What was it shooting like?
    Last edited by p.j.; 17-03-2019 at 02:21 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Mach 1.5 View Post
    Just taken apart a 77k action I've had for a while to discover it had a 39 coil spring fitted. Over the years I've seen some long springs come out of a 77 but at 12.5 inches long this takes the record!!! Mach 1.5
    Believe it or not, Paul, that sounds like the early standard 77 Spring.

The MK1 and early MK2 HW77s had about 4 inch of preload.

http://www.airgunbbs.com/showthread....83#post5864483

HW77 Spring

Really Mick!! This came out of mk2 77k. Bl**dy big bugger. Mach 1.5

Quote Originally Posted by Mach 1.5 View Post
    Really Mick!! This came out of mk2 77k. Bl**dy big bugger. Mach 1.5
    Yep, that's sounds the same as the springs my two MK2 77ks came with as standard, Paul.

Haha!

And I'll never forget you recounting the tale of the one you stripped when researching spring dimensions for Jim, Mick.

Must admit, "back in the day" I'd always use my spring compressor when working on 77s. In recent years I've done them quite easily without......end block protected by cloth, up against a solid wall whilst supporting the muzzle into my body and leaning into it.
    THE BOINGER BASH AT QUIGLEY HOLLOW. MAKING GREAT MEMORIES SINCE 15th JUNE, 2013.
    NEXT EVENT :- May 4/5, 2024.........BOING!!

Quote Originally Posted by T 20 View Post
    Believe it or not, Paul, that sounds like the early standard 77 Spring.

The MK1 and early MK2 HW77s had about 4 inch of preload.

http://www.airgunbbs.com/showthread....83#post5864483
    I've just measured the original spring from my 1987 mk2 full length 0.22" rifle that I replaced after about a year of purchase.
    It is 11.5" long with 32 coils and around 4" of preload.
    The original splayed metal guide and absence of a top hat provided a little more room for it!

I am now using a V Mach spring and Tinbum guides. This required me to collapse one coil to keep it legal but the end block now screws on halfway before contacting the much shorter spring!
    Last edited by Scubashot; 17-03-2019 at 11:04 PM.

Did they come from Germany with those springs, or did hull cartridge put them in? Atb Daz

Quote Originally Posted by BAD DAZ View Post
    Did they come from Germany with those springs, or did hull cartridge put them in? Atb Daz
    I'm pretty sure they came from Germany with those springs Daz, my gun showed no signs of being opened up until I took the spring out 28 years after I bought it.

Edit :- I actually doubt if Hull Cartridge even see the guns before they're delivered to gunshops.

If you think about it, the guns come in boxed up from Weihrauch, all Hull Cartridge should have to do is send the boxes out to The correct RFDs who'd ordered them --- testing and final inspection being done at the factory before packaging.
    Last edited by T 20; 18-03-2019 at 07:23 PM.

I know that some FAC springs for these guns have 39 coils, so it sounds standard.

Quote Originally Posted by T 20 View Post
    I actually doubt if Hull Cartridge even see the guns before they're delivered to gunshops.

If you think about it, the guns come in boxed up from Weihrauch, all Hull Cartridge should have to do is send the boxes out to The correct RFDs who'd ordered them --- testing and final inspection being done at the factory before packaging.
    That surely is the case. And the “Hull cartridge” stamps are put on in the HW factory.

Not going to derail this thread into one about HC and their “grey imports” thing.... going away now.