Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: FT scopes - why so high?

Quote Originally Posted by bozzer View Post
    "... Now I'm being asked to lean back a few degrees to shoot a target up a tree ... Someone invent a contraption that can be adjusted so that I can just stay in my 'easy' position, and still get the rifle on target ... Ah ... Thank you Rowan."
    Made me chuckle - 2017 GP at Iceni, there was an 11 yard 25mm target that was certainly set to 'lean back a few degrees' (think that the angle was something like 60 degrees up, target cut & shut so that the aperture was at 90 degrees to the lane) funnily enough, both myself & son shoot at Iceni, so had shot it on 'normal' weekends, both of us never missed it - despite not having Rowans finest fitted, but simply by altering our shooting position to both elbows on knees & stock into shoulder (made a great stable tripod) - watching the GP shooters trying to keep in their seated position & altering everything to fit to get the shot was entertaining - especially as the other target on that lane was placed about a foot off the ground, meaning that it all had to be adjusted within the time limit for the lane - quite a few moaned about that Last week, the course setters decided to put that target out again, but designated that lane as a 'kneeling lane' - that was fun (we still got it though)

Quote Originally Posted by RobF View Post
    I've got zero pulse, and no pads.

But as someone that has shot prone .22, I don't us a sling, and slings are not commonly found in FT because they're not so practical as you need to adjust them for each target to get a natural point of aim, something as a county coach I'm acutely aware of.
    Not if you have a bull pup Rob . and the sling can be used in a fixed position for standers as well . ??? HOLLY
    " BE YOURSELF , EVERYBODY ELSE IS TAKEN "

Is there any recommended trajectory software (free) for the PC, other than Chairgun?

Quote Originally Posted by RobF View Post
    The good news is that despite everyone thinking they can bolt on a solution and win comps, the Grand Prix series has been won by someone with a £1000 value rig lacking any said wizardry.
    Rob

All of my posts are tongue in cheek ... but that's actually the drum I've been banging for many years ... the gadgets and top end gear don't knock targets down ... good shooters do.

I've also noticed that a lot of the top FT shooters are younger guys who are in reasonable shape. It makes sense. Decent eyes and decent core strength and decent cardiac health. I've seen a similar thing, to a degree, in HFT.

The point I tried to make above was ...

Even if the sports try and drive the rules towards a more shooting skill discipline ( tightening up on gadgets and maybe even introducing more positionals ) then there would be an uprising from the masses, that would not want to be dragged out of their comfort zones ... and a high percentage of those masses are not young and athletic. The elite need the masses to make these sports work.

Quote Originally Posted by bozzer View Post
    Rob

All of my posts are tongue in cheek ... but that's actually the drum I've been banging for many years ... the gadgets and top end gear don't knock targets down ... good shooters do.

I've also noticed that a lot of the top FT shooters are younger guys who are in reasonable shape. It makes sense. Decent eyes and decent core strength and decent cardiac health. I've seen a similar thing, to a degree, in HFT.

The point I tried to make above was ...

Even if the sports try and drive the rules towards a more shooting skill discipline ( tightening up on gadgets and maybe even introducing more positionals ) then there would be an uprising from the masses, that would not want to be dragged out of their comfort zones ... and a high percentage of those masses are not young and athletic. The elite need the masses to make these sports work.

I kind of just want masses in the sport because I enjoy it and think others would. But from a structural point of view it offers certain benefits to the sport if it's larger because there's an efficiency of scale and also because these days there's a baseline of work that needs to be done, and that's easier with more people to share it.

Quote Originally Posted by SuffolkRifle View Post
    Made me chuckle - 2017 GP at Iceni, there was an 11 yard 25mm target that was certainly set to 'lean back a few degrees' (think that the angle was something like 60 degrees up, target cut & shut so that the aperture was at 90 degrees to the lane) funnily enough, both myself & son shoot at Iceni, so had shot it on 'normal' weekends, both of us never missed it - despite not having Rowans finest fitted, but simply by altering our shooting position to both elbows on knees & stock into shoulder (made a great stable tripod) - watching the GP shooters trying to keep in their seated position & altering everything to fit to get the shot was entertaining - especially as the other target on that lane was placed about a foot off the ground, meaning that it all had to be adjusted within the time limit for the lane - quite a few moaned about that Last week, the course setters decided to put that target out again, but designated that lane as a 'kneeling lane' - that was fun (we still got it though)
    But what was your final score compared to the top boys as I have heard these bullshit statements before. The winner is the top score and not the awkward one which by your statement is a regular target which you know where to aim
    ISP Airstream mk3 March F 2.5/25mml. Sportsmatch GC2 mk3 leupold 20/50 Steyr 2014 hft March x 5/50 MTR3 ISP Airstream MK3 March x 8-80 silver, fx impact m3 element helix Ripley AR4 blue Burris 8/32 Steyr 2014 hot all .177

I love shooting. Used to shoot competitively, sadly no longer. I don't shoot FT or HFT, but delighted it has such a following. Air Rifle shooting is on the up and long should it continue as its a great pastime.

It has to compete with all the other leisure activities.
    Good facilities help, but its the fun of the targetry that counts. The targets need to be hittable, achievable, and not just my having £££££ of kit. The targetry can't be so impossible it comes down to luck either.
    I think the measure of targetry is that with application then the better shots do end up at the top of the score board. Young eyes and fit may well be at the top as would deep experience. Good enough kit and loads of skill should compete to the very top.
    Just like clay pigeon shooters will have the "Stars" that win prizes, but the fun of the shooting should be enough on its own to keep people shooting in the sport. Numbers participating does matter. Its got to be kept fun, entry level not too expensive, and plenty of the social side to support it all.
    Not so easy to get the balance right.
    Good luck.

Quote Originally Posted by Sportsmatch View Post
    But what was your final score compared to the top boys as I have heard these bullshit statements before. The winner is the top score and not the awkward one which by your statement is a regular target which you know where to aim
    Considering that both myself & son are BFTA graded 'C' (i.e. the bottom of the pile), any shot that we get and the 'top shots' don't is a bonus and we don't shoot GPs, just spectate/marshal our areas events
    Edit I will add though, 11 - 12 yards is my usual 'ratting' distance - so I also know where the POI is for that distance
    Last edited by SuffolkRifle; 22-03-2019 at 07:45 PM.

Almost 90% of the shots taken in FT comps are from a sitting position with the rifle resting on the elbow and the knee. At this position the shooter's head is well above the bore of the gun and therefore the scope needs to sit high if the shooter is not to suffer a bent neck by the fifth shot. That is why the scopes sits high. In addition, in FT once the target is aquired and in sharp focus the range is dialled in by the tarret so the target is always at the cross section of the cross hairs, hardly ever mildots are used, so it makes no difference how near or far the target is as the POI is always at the center of the scope. The trajectory of the pellet has nothing to do with the hight of the scope I am afraid. In HFT 90% of the shots are taken from a prone position and since no adjustments of the scope are allowed the scopes sitting low on the gun can offer some advantage so far as mildot compensation is concerned.

A.G