Thread: QUERY re: THE LINCOLN JEFFRIES 'H. THE "LINCOLN" AIR RIFLE' BRANDING

CLOGGER is offline Ex proud Yorkshireman, Now soft southern shandy drinker

QUERY re: THE LINCOLN JEFFRIES 'H. THE "LINCOLN" AIR RIFLE' BRANDING

Bear with me on this one please!
    As we know, onwards from 1905 when the first of the George Lincoln Jeffries underlever rifles came on the market (as opposed to the BSA branded ones), they were branded on the cylinders with H. THE "LINCOLN" AIR RIFLE.
    Lincoln Jeffries had also been branding with similar wording the break barrel Millita style rifles he had been importing from Germany (probably Langenhans, and possibly "improved" a little in his own workshops).

My questions are these:

When the first of his underlevers were received from BSA and released for sale, did he stop using the "H THE LINCOLN AIR RIFLE" branding on his imported guns, and keep it exclusively for his own underlever rifles?

Did GLJ still import and sell the Millita style guns once his new underlever rifles were released for sale?

Would one of his "H THE LINCOLN AIR RIFLE" branded Millita style guns have to pre-date production-wise the mid 1905 onwards manufactured underlever rifles?

My curiosity has arisen because I have an LJ "H THE LINCOLN AIR RIFLE" branded Millita type gun, and wondered if it could only have been made before mid 1905, or could LJ still have been retailing, AND importing them - rather than just selling his old stock, in parallel with his own new wonderful underlever rifles.

Any help on this from the experts would be gratefully received and appreciated.

Best regards, Clogger

We don't know for sure Clogger but once the underlever had been launched, there was probably little point in promoting the Millita style breakdown models, especially as one of the primary advantages marketed by GLJ and BSA was the fixed barrel over the breakdown breech. Undoubtedly there would have been some crossover as old stock of Millita types was sold off.

Kind regards,

John