Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Is this iris useful?

MrChipShoulder,

There is also a transparent 'Crystal' fore-sight tunnel, that is paired with the 'Crystal' iris, to give a more 'ideal' sight picture.

'Current thinking' makes for a rear-sight & iris that are as small as possible, and as transparent to vision as is possible, to mimimise occlusion of vision.

Great emphasis is place on having both eyes open, and both eyes having the same light input. This is said to improve both aiming precision & balance.

The same for the front sight - all leading makers now seem to offer tunnel-less foresights - again for the ideal of the sight picture 'floating' on thin air with no other visual disturbance/occlusion.

Have fun & a good weekend

Best regards

Russ

RobinC is offline Awesome Shooting Coach and Author.

Small is beautiful!

Thanks Russ

Beautifully put, and saved me answering! Hope you are well and enjoying your shooting.

Both the wife and I use the MEC Cube fore sight on our small and full bores because of the tremendous light gathering of them, they are totally clear. We found the skeleton types ones a bit too fragile with recoil so they have been relegated to our air rifles.

We use the smallest rear sights we can get, my wife has discovered, and uses, the Precise sight marketed by Anschutz, and she now has two, one on her small bore, and one on her 300 mt rifle, they are superb, very well made, and produce a sight picture with the centra crystal iris of virtually no visible sight, they also have the advantage prone of having both the adjusters on the same low plane so can be adjusted with no movement of position.
    The down side is they are £450 each, but you would not expect a lady shooter to find the cheapest would you!

Hope you are well, and have Fun
    Robin
    Walther KK500 Alutec expert special - Barnard .223 "wilde" in a Walther KK500 Alutec stock, mmm...tasty!! - Keppeler 6 mmBR with Walther grip and wood! I may be a Walther-phile?

Thank you for your comments.

I will finish Robins book and try and piece everything together. I fear I have been asking too many questions already. The league I shoot in tends to be all old rifles with old sights, shot by old people in an old way, so I'm not going to get great advice from them!

My LG400 has been bought to shoot 99.9% 7 yard bell target every week and that has a whole different set of problems with the target and lighting as I have tried to explain in post 6. I don't think the same sight principles apply to 7 yard bell as 10M

Here is a pic of the lit boxes. https://ibb.co/W32VkLB

My fore sight is as big as the cut hole in the back stop so I cannot get a nice primary outer ring by moving the rear sight. All I see is black until the sight is so close I see the whole target and the back room wall, an absolutely useless sight picture. This is why I thought a smaller fore sight tube would work.

Anyway, thanks for your help thus far and especially Robin