Thread: Is this iris useful?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    MrChipShoulder,

For me, I would have :

#1 Centra 1.8 Crystal https://www.intershoot.co.uk/acatalo...-Iris-431.html

#2 Centra 1.8 Basic https://www.intershoot.co.uk/acatalo...-Iris-644.html

I doubt whether you would ever need an aperture greater than 1.8 mm.

Have fun

Best regards

Russ

I'll go for the Centra 1.8 Crystal, thanks,

What made you chose the Centra basic over the Gehmann basic iris just out of interest?

MrChipShoulder,

The Gehmann Basic (Anschutz Basic 9775 is the same iris, made by Gehmann) gives range 0.5 --> 3 mm - I do not need an aperture to open so large.

The Centra Basic 1.8 gives range 0.5 --> 1.8 mm, which is the range I most need for target shooting.

I do have the Anschutz Basic 9775 on two (2) of my field rifles, as I sometimes need to use a very large aperture when conditions are gloomy - my field rifles are fitted with 3mm front posts.

Have fun

Best regards

Russ

Thank you Russ, the Centra 1.8 Crystal was ordered yesterday with the rifle

Hi,

The Centra 1,8 Crystal is here now but I can't really see the difference between the Gehmann 0.5-3 iris and this Centra 1,8 Crystal. In my mind I think the Centra 1,8 Crystal is brighter at the smallest setting compared to the Gehmann, but is that just in my mind? Also the Centra is very small so my iris cup no longer fits.

Am I missing something, or is the Centra just very expensive and very small?

To a degree a hole is a hole...

The advantage of the Centra Crystal is its size. Small means that you can see more of the range around the sight. In recent years there is a thought that this can help with natural alignment, as you settle your head. For 50m Smallbore a small iris lets you see more windflags.

Eyecups, chuck 'em away. I always found these came loose and blocked the aperture.

MrChipShoulder,

There is also a transparent 'Crystal' fore-sight tunnel, that is paired with the 'Crystal' iris, to give a more 'ideal' sight picture.

'Current thinking' makes for a rear-sight & iris that are as small as possible, and as transparent to vision as is possible, to mimimise occlusion of vision.

Great emphasis is place on having both eyes open, and both eyes having the same light input. This is said to improve both aiming precision & balance.

The same for the front sight - all leading makers now seem to offer tunnel-less foresights - again for the ideal of the sight picture 'floating' on thin air with no other visual disturbance/occlusion.

Have fun & a good weekend

Best regards

Russ