Thread: Slugs

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Slugs

What’s the point of these, they cause so much friction in the barrel and problems with loading.

The improved BC barely makes it up for the initial loss of power.
    When I calculated one would have to shoot over 120yards to overtake the current pellets!

Quote Originally Posted by krisko View Post
    What’s the point of these, they cause so much friction in the barrel and problems with loading.

The improved BC barely makes it up for the initial loss of power.
    When I calculated one would have to shoot over 120yards to overtake the current pellets!
    They are quick at shredding my hosta...

Quote Originally Posted by Big Seth View Post
    They are quick at shredding my hosta...
    And they'll strip out a seed tray of Nicotiana seedlings overnight

Apart from shell-less gastropod molluscs, what do you mean by “slugs”?

I suspect he is referring to air bullets as used in other territories with no power restrictions. I believe the answer lies in the need to cope with velocities over 900+FPS and/or the power pulse of an air rifle designed to give 3 shots with say a .357 lump of lead.
    I cannot see such rifles having any real application in the UK even for FAC shooters.
    Rich.
    WANTED: Next weeks winning lottery numbers :-)

arnie2b Guest
    Slugs are still in it's infancy Edgun posted a recent video about them which is worth a watch.

There are people buying slug liners in .25 for the impact but they can't hit the proverbial barn door at a 100 with them at the minute.

If you have to get an fac you might aswell get a rimfire which are far cheaper to buy and at the moment far cheaper to run looking at the price of the NSA ammo (50% more expensive for a 100 .22 23gr compared to 100 40gr .22rimfire).

If you cast and size them yourself and they work in your gun you're on to a winner. That ain't easy for the smaller calibers.
    Casting for big bores is easier and with the umarex hammer coming out it becomes a bit more affordable for the masses.

Once the big companies follow suit the prices might come down and the quality goes up.

A cz 452 with match ammo will outshoot a Huben K1 self loading .22 any day of the week at present.

About slugs - Edgun
    There are uses and advantages for them even at present. To explain that fully will take some time though.

etc..
    Last edited by arnie2b; 19-03-2019 at 01:03 AM. Reason: spelleeing