Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: Slugs

Quote Originally Posted by zx10mike View Post
    i have some nielson 19 grn .22 slugs on there way to me .i'll be using 35 ft lbs daystate wolf and testing out to 100 yards or more if they are good.last time i took the 18.1 grn jsb pellets out that far they grouped about 1.2" at 80 yards but opened up at 100 even in still conditions.95% landed in 2.5" but the smallest of breezes (un detectable ) or flyers meant real groups where more like 4 ". using 18.1 jsb i'll rabbit head shoot to 60 yards and take pigeons to 80 but after that there would have to be luck involved and that is for paper punching.i'll giving an honest opinion on the 19 grn slugs asap.
    For best accuracy you should slug your barrel and use bullets sized for 0.0002-0.0004" under.
    Viking Mk2 .177/.22 bullpup, BSA Scorpion SE .177, BSA Scorpion .25 100M gun, BSA Scorpion .224 100fpe 100M gun,
    Evanix Blizzard .257/.357 200M BR, Evanix Sniper X2 .45 at 270 fpe

Alicante, Birmingham and sometimes Munich
    Quote Originally Posted by Geezer View Post
    At the risk of pretending to be ballisticboy, I must point out that BC changes with velocity.
    I'm not pretending to be Ballisticboy either but if the Ballistic Coefficient is calculated to be changing at different velocities then you're calculating against the wrong/inappropriate Drag Curve ... or perhaps you're using a 'constant Cd' approximation.
    Maybe you're thinking about the Drag Coefficient - which does indeed vary substantially with velocity.

George
    Last edited by GPConway; 29-03-2019 at 06:45 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by riku View Post
    For best accuracy you should slug your barrel and use bullets sized for 0.0002-0.0004" under.
    How do you measure that?

Quote Originally Posted by greenwayjames View Post
    How do you measure that?
    With micrometer.
    Viking Mk2 .177/.22 bullpup, BSA Scorpion SE .177, BSA Scorpion .25 100M gun, BSA Scorpion .224 100fpe 100M gun,
    Evanix Blizzard .257/.357 200M BR, Evanix Sniper X2 .45 at 270 fpe

arnie2b Guest
    The Ultimate Guide to FX SLUG LINERS deffo worth a watch if you're the slightest bit interested in slugs.

Quote Originally Posted by arnie2b View Post
    The Ultimate Guide to FX SLUG LINERS deffo worth a watch if you're the slightest bit interested in slugs.
    Actually, that was an interesting piece to watch, thanks for posting
    Custom BSA S10 .22 PAX Phoenix Mk 2 .22 Custom Titan Manitou .22 (JB BP) HW77 .22 FWB Sport Mk1 .22 Sharp Ace .22 Crossman 600 .22 Berretta 92 .20 Desert Eagle .177

As I said on another forum (and was accused of being arrogant by a fan boy) I do wish he would check his facts on basic aerodynamics and external ballistics before making statements or presenting diagrams which are fundamentally flawed. It makes one wonder how much of the other data is also of the same standard.

arnie2b Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by ballisticboy View Post
    As I said on another forum (and was accused of being arrogant by a fan boy) I do wish he would check his facts on basic aerodynamics and external ballistics before making statements or presenting diagrams which are fundamentally flawed. It makes one wonder how much of the other data is also of the same standard.
    Have you ever experimented with different twist rates/grooves?

What according to you would make the slug guns accurate?
    I'm just curious like.

I watched the whole video and it seemed very interesting, can you let me know what statements he made were wrong ?

Please don't think is a pop at you as it's not but would be interested to know, feel free to PM if you prefer
    Custom BSA S10 .22 PAX Phoenix Mk 2 .22 Custom Titan Manitou .22 (JB BP) HW77 .22 FWB Sport Mk1 .22 Sharp Ace .22 Crossman 600 .22 Berretta 92 .20 Desert Eagle .177

Near Wimbledon, SW London, or Lusaka, Zambia

I'm just curious like.
    I recall BB has played with some much larger calibres
    Always looking for any cheap, interesting, knackered "project" guns. Thanks, JB.

I'm just curious like.
    Slug guns can be accurate but you need to match the bullet to the rifle. The twist rate needs to be sufficient to provide stability but no more. Too much twist will reduce accuracy not improve it through making the slug slower to react to problems because of excessive stability.

Quote Originally Posted by MartynB View Post
    I watched the whole video and it seemed very interesting, can you let me know what statements he made were wrong ?

Please don't think is a pop at you as it's not but would be interested to know, feel free to PM if you prefer
    Many of the problems stem from the previous video on pellet stability which he attributes to drag. Pellets are not drag stabilised so any diagrams or statements based on that premis are incorrect. There are also diagrams showing airflow at right angles to the pellet producing Magnus effects which give the wrong impression, the diagram at 37.50 is particularly bad. This is just one of a number of points, some minor and some not so minor but most of it comes down to his basic lack of understanding of how pellets fly.

Quote Originally Posted by Shed tuner View Post
    I recall BB has played with some much larger calibres
    1000mm is the largest calibre I have had to deal with (no prizes for guessing what that was involved with). In practical terms 155mm was the usual maximum.

Many of the problems stem from the previous video on pellet stability which he attributes to drag. Pellets are not drag stabilised so any diagrams or statements based on that premis are incorrect. There are also diagrams showing airflow at right angles to the pellet producing Magnus effects which give the wrong impression, the diagram at 37.50 is particularly bad. This is just one of a number of points, some minor and some not so minor but most of it comes down to his basic lack of understanding of how pellets fly
    Thanks for explaining, ballistics isn't an area I know much about so it's interesting to hear from someone that knows

Edit: Have you done any videos ? Be interested to watch if you have
    Last edited by MartynB; 20-04-2019 at 08:37 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by MartynB View Post
    Edit: Have you done any videos ? Be interested to watch if you have
    If I made a video it would become compulsory watching for insomniacs.

If I made a video it would become compulsory watching for insomniacs.
    I'd still be interested if you decided to do one

I have an AWT prototype rifle (the Beast) which shoots Eley Magnum.22 bullet heads very accurately at 50 fpe. The barrel is just a regular Lothar Walther 24 inch.
    Last edited by lionel; 22-04-2019 at 01:47 AM.