Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Slugs

eyebull is offline Even a stopped clock is right twice a day
    Quote Originally Posted by ballisticboy View Post
    Diabolos will only give you a one hole group at 40 yards if you have managed to find the correct batch number and there is no wind blowing. But if you are happy to use the ammunition equivalent of a Model T Ford in your gun, albeit a well made Model T Ford, then that is fine. Other people are not.
    Well, when you find a slug that gives 40 yd one-hole groups out of any old barrel with any old twist rate at sub-12 fpe, do let us know.
    Until then it's all rather hypothetical.
    Good deals with these members

Quote Originally Posted by eyebull View Post
    Well, when you find a slug that gives 40 yd one-hole groups out of any old barrel with any old twist rate at sub-12 fpe, do let us know.
    Until then it's all rather hypothetical.
    We did 30 years ago with Gerald Cardew, I designed them and he made them so not hypothetical at all.

arnie2b Guest
    daySTATE of the ART
    Now someone mentioned that the gun is doing 50ft/lbs it's got to be a slug right? 26grain at 940ft/s would give you around that.
    They call it the slow twist barrel, which logically one would assume to be a pellet barrel.

This is what people are waiting for.
    Last edited by arnie2b; 21-03-2019 at 07:18 PM.

eyebull is offline Even a stopped clock is right twice a day
    We did 30 years ago with Gerald Cardew, I designed them and he made them so not hypothetical at all.
    Why are they no longer in production? Do you have any pictures?
    Good deals with these members

Is any of this in the book trigger to muzzle ?
    Custom BSA S10 .22 PAX Phoenix Mk 2 .22 Custom Titan Manitou .22 (JB BP) HW77 .22 FWB Sport Mk1 .22 Sharp Ace .22 Crossman 600 .22 Berretta 92 .20 Desert Eagle .177

Quote Originally Posted by eyebull View Post
    Why are they no longer in production? Do you have any pictures?
    They were never put into production. Some private finance was put into their development to pay for Gerald's time (I was not paid at all) but after the development work nothing was done with them. Some of the pellet manufacturers wanted us to give them the work for nothing and I think they were worried even then by the negative reactions by shooters to anything other than a conventional pellet. Back then it was too much of a gamble.

Quote Originally Posted by MartynB View Post
    Is any of this in the book trigger to muzzle ?
    This was after that book was written but before the book from trigger to target. Nothing was ever included in the book.

What air rifles were used to try them in and at what power levels?

Quote Originally Posted by greenwayjames View Post
    What air rifles were used to try them in and at what power levels?
    The energy was around 12FPE on all tests. The pellet was not designed for higher speeds. Gerald carried out all the testing so I am not sure exactly what was used in .22 or .177.

The energy was around 12FPE on all tests. The pellet was not designed for higher speeds. Gerald carried out all the testing so I am not sure exactly what was used in .22 or .177.
    What make and model air rifles were used to confirm your theories and wind tunnel work with models and prototypes for the design of a slug.
    Confirmation that your slug made waisted pellets look like "the ammunition equivalent of the Model T Ford" in most available air rifles must have been of interest to you? Thats what takes it from being hypothetical to being a winner in the real world. You seem a bit p* ssed that pellet manufacturers didnt want to know at the time. A practical demonstration of its superiority over good commercial waisted pellets in any old barrel with any old twist rate would have opened their eyes.

You seem a bit p* ssed that pellet manufacturers didnt want to know at the time.
    Actually I wasn't at all p* ssed that no manufacturer wanted to continue as I was more in it for the science. To me it was just an exercise in applying proven ballistic and aerodynamic design which I worked with every day. There was nothing hypothetical or novel in what was done, it was all proven many years ago and used in the evolution of ammunition design since the 1920s. This is why bullets, shells, cannon and tank ammunition all look and are so different to how they were 100 years ago. We just applied those same principles to something suitable for air guns.
    Our first attempts were not exactly successful.

Glad you took my post in the manner it was intended. As a shooter I am more interested in the air rifles they were tried in and the results that were obtained using them. Were they everyday airifles as sold in gunshops at the time?

https://www.airgunnation.com/topic/2...-lots-of-pics/

I don’t think slugs group even at high power just look at this report, JSBs one hole group at that distance.

There is no more pin point accuracy we would prefer.

The Current state of affairs and that’s with a special slug barrel or what they claim it is. idon’t know what the authors aim is but for me all that is unacceptable precision. Sorry

Pellets excellent at short airgun distances, slugs are apparently poor both short and long range. it is your choice lol

What is this craze about irresponsibly pushing the distance? Does not make any sense to me. If you can’t hit a bottle cap repeatedly, that’s where you stop FFS!
    Last edited by krisko; 24-03-2019 at 12:38 PM.

arnie2b Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by krisko View Post
    https://www.airgunnation.com/topic/2...-lots-of-pics/

I don’t think slugs group even at high power just look at this report, JSBs one hole group at that distance.

There is no more pin point accuracy we would prefer.

The Current state of affairs and that’s with a special slug barrel or what they claim it is. idon’t know what the authors aim is but for me all that is unacceptable precision. Sorry

Pellets excellent at short airgun distances, slugs are apparently poor both short and long range. it is your choice lol

What is this craze about irresponsibly pushing the distance? Does not make any sense to me. If you can’t hit a bottle cap repeatedly, that’s where you stop FFS!
    The guy says
    I ended up polishing my slug liner. I used 320 grit, 400 grit, 1000 grit and finally with 2000 grit. I did the whole barrel but focused a lot of my effort on the choke
    Are these liners chocked?
    If these slug liners are chocked you have to size the slugs to the choke if that can be done and they're not too small already.
    1/21 twist rate makes it a slow twist, slugs generally like to have spin in the smaller calibers.

.25 is a pistol calibre never known for it's accuracy in slugs same as 9mm.
    .257 on the other hand can be accurate I posted a link above of what can be achieved but it still isn't quite pin point accuracy. I mentioned above too that they guys with fx slug liners in .25 can't hit the proverbial barn door at a 100 yards.

Makes me wonder if the art barrels from daystate are shooting the jumbo heavy's or another heavy pellet...
    Last edited by arnie2b; 24-03-2019 at 02:35 PM.

Glad you took my post in the manner it was intended. As a shooter I am more interested in the air rifles they were tried in and the results that were obtained using them. Were they everyday airifles as sold in gunshops at the time?
    In early work Gerald used his projector but I really don't know what else was used later on, all the data and records went years ago. I used a HW35 and a Vulcan I had at the time, mainly the HW, and I have fired a few from a TX200 but not many as there are very few in existence now and many of them are slightly different, all in .22. The ones fired from the TX were coming out around 11.4FPE with a velocity loss over 30 yards of just 40ft/sec.

In early work Gerald used his projector but I really don't know what else was used later on, all the data and records went years ago. I used a HW35 and a Vulcan I had at the time, mainly the HW, and I have fired a few from a TX200 but not many as there are very few in existence now and many of them are slightly different, all in .22. The ones fired from the TX were coming out around 11.4FPE with a velocity loss over 30 yards of just 40ft/sec.
    Interesting reading, what was the accuracy like in the TX ?
    Custom BSA S10 .22 PAX Phoenix Mk 2 .22 Custom Titan Manitou .22 (JB BP) HW77 .22 FWB Sport Mk1 .22 Sharp Ace .22 Crossman 600 .22 Berretta 92 .20 Desert Eagle .177