Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: John Darling hw80

Quote Originally Posted by TonyL View Post
    I'd have to dig the old magazines out to remind myself what it was like. So, was it a Vantage stock, or the Hunter, or, more likely, something totally different?

And, although I had HWs back then with Venom tunes, JD's writings and Terry's test on the Lazaglide 80 spurred me on to getting the Predator Lazaglided.

There's a description in this thread, Tone. :- http://www.airgunbbs.com/showthread....n-darling-hw80

Cheers Mick.
    THE BOINGER BASH AT QUIGLEY HOLLOW. MAKING GREAT MEMORIES SINCE 15th JUNE, 2013.
    NEXT EVENT :- May 4/5, 2024.........BOING!!

Quote Originally Posted by T 20 View Post
    There's a description in this thread, Tone. :- http://www.airgunbbs.com/showthread....n-darling-hw80
    Interesting suggestion in that thread that Jim from Jim and Carl in AGW of years gone by acquired JD’s 80. Anyone know Jim?

I think jim wyatt shot a bsa goldstar underlever. It was his cousin carl who had the hw80. It would be interesting if it was jds 80 though

Quote Originally Posted by TonyL View Post
    I'd have to dig the old magazines out to remind myself what it was like. So, was it a Vantage stock, or the Hunter, or, more likely, something totally different?

And, although I had HWs back then with Venom tunes, JD's writings and Terry's test on the Lazaglide 80 spurred me on to getting the Predator Lazaglided.
    if i remember rightly it was a Hunter stock

venom

isn,t that jds old venom 80

used by ,carl, as in carl and jim airgun hunting writers
    looks like it to me, even fitted with the moonlighter

ping

Quote Originally Posted by Zomboid View Post
    I found that the Vantage equivalent today (CS500) was too chunky so I got CS to slim it down to my own specification.

Very similar to JD's 80.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/k4nLDW6EQBbUBwmz5
    Does the CS500 fore end not cover the breech block or was that part of your instructions to Custom Stock of Sheffield?

Found this pic of the 80 Hunter in my file. Sent by Ivan in 1998.

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

I believe that's the lazahunter, a much later model, very nice though, atb Daz

Jd hw80

You need a copy of Airgun World Sept 83 to see John, Ivan and Dave with 80 mentioned. Mach 1.5

Only tuned into the air-rifle scene and the comics in 1996, so am not terribly au fait with the earlier history.
    Had a look through JD's book as well and the only break barrel I can see is on page 88. If that's the one, I don't know what all the fuss is about.

Quote Originally Posted by Rustam Bana View Post
    Does the CS500 fore end not cover the breech block or was that part of your instructions to Custom Stock of Sheffield?
    I did indeed. I requested something similar to the dimensions of the Mk1 stock but with the dressing of the CS500. I found I can mount this a lot quicker than the normal CS500 and the balance is better too (for me).

Thanks, Zomboid.

JD didn't spend shed loads on his rifles. Think his first was a Crosman 766?? because it was cheap; he had just left the Army. He just got very familiar with the few he had.
    The HW I believe was a Hunter stock Venom tuned with the Super Moonlighter Scope. Whatever the Hunter stock was in 1983 wasn't repeated exactly nor ever done in anything other than small batches. The market was small and developing, and for Venom it was early days with no two rifles being exactly the same. I suspect they tuned away until they got the right result. Stocks in house until that got too much.
    Others know more about the history of Venom, but my view is they were probably barely making a living as they were spending too much time on any one rifle and still finding their way.

JD's rifle was a .22 12ft/lbs and consistent, forgiving in his hands. The scope was a good one for its time and not break the bank. JD knew his drop/dope. He did head and body shots, often shooting with the farm dog; think he had a lurcher. He didn't go for wildly long shots and range was dictated by the conditions. On a good day he could stretch to 45m from skill. His interest was the bag rather than target shooting. The shooting part was to get the results in the field, which takes practice.

Anyhow, without having his rifle and taking it apart then its hard to know really what it was. It could be replicated easily enough, but would just be a well sorted rifle. Much the same could be said of his Rapid 7. Nothing special just his skill getting the most out of a combo. .22 because if you can get the shot placement right they do smack more. .177 is better if you are less good at reading wind and range.
    Today Gun Writers have kit thrown at them; wasn't the same in those days.

Quote Originally Posted by Rustam Bana View Post
    If that's the one, I don't know what all the fuss is about.
    LOOKING FOR A BSA ULTRA IN .177 and .25