Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The demise of older springers

The demise of older springers

Has anybody else noticed the sales section increasingly used to sell rifles that have obviously been bought to break and sell on.
    Part of me thinks this a sad end to an old rifle, but then part of me thinks it’s a useful source of spares when I need them.

So is it the demise of old springers, or just the old springers out there being fewer, but of a higher quality?

Doesn't seem exclusive to old springers though. You regularly see the likes of a 99s being broken down and sold as parts.

I've noticed there has been a hell of a lot of guns for sale on the free ads site recently and there's been a few bargains as well but as usual they are miles away if I can't go and do the deal/check out the item in question personally I'm not one for buying I've heard of one or two people paying for a gun off free ads and not receiving it. You just don't know who you're dealing with and then when it comes to "Bargains, there's the other general consensus of opinion, if it sounds or seems too good to be true it generally is .. and should be steered clear off.

I not long ago sold a old hw50 , had a lovely stock but action needed bluing, sold it for most probably what the barrel alone would have sold for on that auction site, I believe the old chap is going to restore it, Also got a old mk1 80 which the action is looking its age, It hadnt been used for years but it shoots great and below legal limit, lucky to pick this up very cheap, I will not break it and sell to gain extra money, I've decided to keep it in fear of it being broken to sell for spares, May sound stupid but its staying in one piece,

look no hands is offline Even better looking than a HW35
    I've got a couple of old 'bitsa' rifles, that I tried to sell recently, both are complete and shoot well, I know I could get a decent price in spares on that auction site but do I keep them for future spares or break them.

Pete
    Far too many rifles to list now, all mainly British but the odd pesky foreigner has snuck in

I suppose you could categorise purchaser of old (maybe beat up) air rifles in three categories:

1. I don't care what it looks like, I always fancied shooting one of those (me sometimes)

2. I reckon I can refurb the old girl back to her former glory (me quite often, but not always successful!)

3. I could break that fugly thing down and sell it in parts to No.2 (me hardly ever, although I will sell other refurbers bits from my spares stash)

At the end of the day, all of the above options give owners some degree of satisfaction.

I totally agree with the above I think sometimes selling the older rifles for parts is a good idea as some of my old weihrauchs I've got are very beat up from feild work so the parts are some use to somebody

Quote Originally Posted by slugs.22 View Post
    I totally agree with the above I think sometimes selling the older rifles for parts is a good idea as some of my old weihrauchs I've got are very beat up from feild work so the parts are some use to somebody
    Funnily enough, it was your recent glut of broken HW’s that got me thinking about it. Don’t have a HW35 trigger guard by chance do you?

Quote Originally Posted by charub View Post
    Funnily enough, it was your recent glut of broken HW’s that got me thinking about it. Don’t have a HW35 trigger guard by chance do you?
    I do.

Quote Originally Posted by Hughlle View Post

Doesn't seem exclusive to old springers though. You regularly see the likes of a 99s being broken down and sold as parts.

Unfortunately the 99 seems to be worth more dead than alive.

Stock £55
    Barrel £50
    Rekord unit £45
    Trigger guard £10

And then you still have the action and fittings to sell.

If the 99 had been fitted with the Perfekt trigger then breaking them wouldn't be such an attractive proposition.

Quote Originally Posted by T 20 View Post
    Unfortunately the 99 seems to be worth more dead than alive.

Stock £55
    Barrel £50
    Rekord unit £45
    Trigger guard £10

And then you still have the action and fittings to sell.

If the 99 had been fitted with the Perfekt trigger then breaking them wouldn't be such an attractive proposition.
    I am so upset to see a 99 broken up best place for them is scrap now an 80 id hate to be seen scrapped as that is still the springer flag ship of weihrauch
    Last edited by WILBA; 11-10-2019 at 12:50 PM.

You'll usually be left with an unwanted compression tube,unless it's an old BSA.

Quote Originally Posted by charub View Post
    Has anybody else noticed the sales section increasingly used to sell rifles that have obviously been bought to break and sell on.
    Part of me thinks this a sad end to an old rifle, but then part of me thinks it’s a useful source of spares when I need them.
    We used to have a couple of members here who were buying guns and full rigs to break for profit, the guns were being knocked out on Gstar, Gtrader or another forum, the scopes slings and other accessories ended up on the Bay --- both are now ex members.

We accept there'll be a few guns broken and sold on here, but if we see a member continually buying in and breaking for financial gain then they'll lose sales access --- just saying like.

All the best Mick

Quote Originally Posted by piggy589 View Post
    You'll usually be left with an unwanted compression tube,unless it's an old BSA.
    Not necessarily, with the 99's gauling problem the compression tubes seem to sell as well.

Quote Originally Posted by T 20 View Post
    We used to have a couple of members here who were buying guns and full rigs to break for profit, the guns were being knocked out on Gstar, Gtrader or another forum, the scopes slings and other accessories ended up on the Bay --- both are now ex members.

We accept there'll be a few guns broken and sold on here, but if we see a member continually buying in and breaking for financial gain then they'll lose sales access --- just saying like.

All the best Mick
    I’m glad to see nothing gets missed. Just saying like.