Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Happiness is a BSA Supersport.

Happiness is a BSA Supersport.

Okay then, my first experience of the Supersport was back in 1988. One that I bought for my ex-wife () in .177. A snappy, snarling, hold sensitive little beastie. Did the "old school lube tune" back then which, although it improved its manners slightly, the firing cycle left much to be desired. Ended up trading it in for another HW80.

Fast forward a fair few years to about 2012 (I think). I bought an as-new Lightning for £110 including scope. Very, very consistent. Accurate, at least at the close ranges I tested it at, but very twangy. I was all set for treating it to a V-Mach kit, but then I thought the better of it and put the extra money to another HW95 instead.

Fast forwards a few more years and I still had fond memories of my old Super Meteor Mercury and thought I ought to seek out an older, cheaper Beesa break barrel.

Well, it got better than that as, about 14 months ago I was given an early Supersport. It has a very "distinctive" customised stock. Barrel and cylinder externals rough and a few gouges out of the stock. Broken foresight and the rear sight is missing. But it wears a 4x32 BSA scope that's very clear, so that's fine. The vertical adjustment turret is sort of hanging out, but seemingly all working okay.

Chrono check revealed a very modest 9.5ft.lbs. Cocking effort was very low.

Removing the stock revealed a broken cocking link. Looking on Chambers and part no longer available. And the BBS's super-hero Mick, T20, came to the rescue with a free "exchange" link.

On stripping the gun, the cause of the low power output quickly became apparent, with the mainspring being broken in three places. And the barrel detent spring was broken too. Guess what? Detent spring no longer available. Then that lovely man Pete, looknohands, stepped up to the mark with the two springs. And also a Tinbum guide and top hat.

Thank you Mick and Pete.

It didn't have a wobbly breech, which was a huge bonus.

Cylinder internal finish was very, very good and I must say I was pretty impressed with the quality and finsh of the piston. Everything polished up and refitted new components with a sparing lube.

Firing manners very good, accuracy very good, smooth cocking. But she was a little warm so I whipped the spring out and it stood for a while.

This January I shortened the spring (two coils off and ground flat and polished ends etc). Just a smidge under 12 with Hobbies, a little less with Jumbo RS and a foot pound or so less with all other pellets tested.

And it's sweet. As in very, very sweet. I posted on my original thread about how accurate it is. It positively loves the Hobbies. At ten yards it'll print a hole with five shots barely larger than a single pellet hole shooting sat. But it's the effortless way it achieves this that really impresses.

This afternoon I had a very pleasurable plink in the garden at about 14 yards. Just wanting to tweak the zero a little more before I try it out at longer range at The Boinger Bash.

Now, although I say so myself, I used to be okay at standers. These days I'm hopeless. So I thought I'd get a little practice in. After the first few shots I bottled it and leant on the wall with my shoulder. Nice, loose hold. Result? Five shot groups easily smaller than a 5p piece. I then tried totally free standing and the groups only increased a tad. Absolutely lovely.

I think one of the reasons why I found it so easy was the trigger. That nice and crisp single stage affair seems to work in harmony with your reflexes. Even when virtually "snap shooting" where you don't hesitate.....once the aim point is on, "fire" and she's away. Sometimes when shooting sitting I find myself checking, double-checking and taking far too long. But this quicker style certainly worked today and the little Supersport loved it.

It almost feels like the quick feeling shot cycle is also contributing to this ease of achievable accuracy, a "snapping glass" sensation and the shot's off.

All this in a freebie, cosmetically challenged package. I am absolutely loving this little rifle. Unassuming, purposeful looks, lightweight and feeling like a "proper sporting rifle". Don't get me wrong, if I were to only have one rifle it would be a HW. But I'm developing a strong bond with this rifle. And it is a definite keeper.

Now, amongst one or two others that I want one day, I really feel like I want another of these. Have I just got lucky with this one? Is there actually much difference between pure Brum ones and Gamo ones? I wouldn't be going out and buying a new one (I still feel that there's not enough price difference to sway me from a HW99 or 95 if buying new), but I'd certainly be up for another of these or a Lightning if one were to become available cheaply.

Cheers for looking in, peeps.
    THE BOINGER BASH AT QUIGLEY HOLLOW. MAKING GREAT MEMORIES SINCE 15th JUNE, 2013.
    NEXT EVENT :- May 4/5, 2024.........BOING!!

With you on this one Tony. Always had a soft spot for the Supersport, and as you say they can vary in their shooting manners, even when some work is done.
    I have an early Lightning here, which was the subject of an AGW article - cost £70, and all finished just over £100, shots really nicely, and so compact and fast handling.
    They are a nice fuss free springer, if you get a decent one hold on to it.

Great read and I’m glad you got it all sorted mate. Enjoy yourself pal.
    Put on heading 270, assume attack formation

With you on that, Tone. I have a Brum one that a previous owner must have worked on. Nice shot cycle, and very good trigger. I’m pretty sure it didn’t come out of the factory like that. I still slightly prefer my Webley Xocet (far better stock), but the fettled Supersport is impressive for what was a low-cost no-frills springer.

Quote Originally Posted by Craig-P View Post
    Great read and I’m glad you got it all sorted mate. Enjoy yourself pal.
    Your opinions will be valued when you get to shoot it in a couple of weeks or so, Craig.
    THE BOINGER BASH AT QUIGLEY HOLLOW. MAKING GREAT MEMORIES SINCE 15th JUNE, 2013.

Cheers for the input so far, chaps.

Regarding barrels, I've often seen it said that the earlier barrels were better? Any truth in this or is it a case of pot luck / pellet compatibility?

The rifle I wanted as a youth. And a bit of me still does.

I have my Grandfather's Supersport - to my shame I was thinking of selling it. The factor limiting me from working on it is the amount of pre-load on the mainspring & the need to source/construct some sort of compression device.

I was given one of the first Supersports as a 15th birthday present & spent hours with it in the garden (Grandad helped my parents buy it for me).

It had to go back to BSA three times with failed piston seals & they ended up fitting the custom 2-stage trigged & an upgraded piston seal as compensation. Open sights I could bop squirrels headshot at 30 yards every time with that gun.

Quote Originally Posted by arjimlad View Post
    I have my Grandfather's Supersport - to my shame I was thinking of selling it. The factor limiting me from working on it is the amount of pre-load on the mainspring & the need to source/construct some sort of compression device.

I was given one of the first Supersports as a 15th birthday present & spent hours with it in the garden (Grandad helped my parents buy it for me).

It had to go back to BSA three times with failed piston seals & they ended up fitting the custom 2-stage trigged & an upgraded piston seal as compensation. Open sights I could bop squirrels headshot at 30 yards every time with that gun.
    The compression "device" is quite simple to make actually.

I recall I used a piece of metal pipe with a "U" cut out of it for my old Meteor. Others use the end of a broom handle or dowling with a "U" cut. If I still had mine I'd send it to you!

eyebull is offline Even a stopped clock is right twice a day
    Lightnings are extremely variable in quality and shootability and some of them are absolute dogs - try before you buy is my advice. They are much better in .22 because the action has less work to do to get power through the tiny barrel.

BSA have always made a good .22 barrel, even post-Gamo. The .177's are a bit more pot luck though.

End of a broomhandle with a notch cut out did nicely for compressing the spring, some are under a lot of tension though so best done with a sash cramp.
    Good deals with these members

Thanks for the tips. This one is a .22 flavour. Tinbum kit will make a difference.

My old one used to eject scope mounts off the back & needed an arrestor block. I have a one-piece mount on the current gun. Perhaps a tuning kit will preserve the scope somewhat.

look no hands is online now Even better looking than a HW35
    Tony have you hit your head mate

Like I often say, my Supersport Custom with a .25 Lightning barrel is a joy to shoot, I was sending some big old lumps of leads done the garden the other weekend and the .25 AA pellets where grouping very well, although the "one hole group" was pretty large, you do have to remember that .25 pellets are pretty big in the first place, I'm pretty lucky with mine as it has the Superstar two stage trigger and the barrel pivot bolt, so no sloppy breech for me.

As Tony says they can be really nice to shoot if you manage to find a good one, I also have to admit that I also prefer it over my Mercs

Pete
    Last edited by look no hands; 20-03-2019 at 12:38 PM.
    Far too many rifles to list now, all mainly British but the odd pesky foreigner has snuck in

Quote Originally Posted by eyebull View Post
    Lightnings are extremely variable in quality and shootability and some of them are absolute dogs - try before you buy is my advice. They are much better in .22 because the action has less work to do to get power through the tiny barrel.

BSA have always made a good .22 barrel, even post-Gamo. The .177's are a bit more pot luck though.

End of a broomhandle with a notch cut out did nicely for compressing the spring, some are under a lot of tension though so best done with a sash cramp.
    Agree with all of the above apart from I haven't had experience of lots of examples.

The .22 Lightning I bought about seven years ago did seem accurate enough.

The experience I had with the .177 I had back in '88 would substantiate your comments re .177 vs .22, and pretty much as you'd expect when comparing efficiency and taking into account the relatively high power output for such a lightweight springer.

And, yes, an old shooting friend of mine who was mainly into shooting .22 rimfire but also FAC air, always spoke very highly of the .22 barrels and often used them for one-off projects.

Quote Originally Posted by arjimlad View Post
    Thanks for the tips. This one is a .22 flavour. Tinbum kit will make a difference.

My old one used to eject scope mounts off the back & needed an arrestor block. I have a one-piece mount on the current gun. Perhaps a tuning kit will preserve the scope somewhat.
    In my limited experience with this one, with power set sensibly using Tinbum guides and shortened standard spring, you'll be rewarded with an easy cocking and well-mannered little boinger. Be sure to also replace the breech seal.

Quote Originally Posted by look no hands View Post
    Tony have you hit your head mate

Like I often say, my Supersport Custom with a .25 Lightning barrel is a joy to shoot, I was sending some big old lumps of leads done the garden the other weekend and the .25 AA pellets where grouping very well, although the "one hole group" was pretty large, you do have to remember that .25 pellets are pretty big in the first place, I'm pretty lucky with mine as it has the Superstar two stage trigger and the barrel pivot bolt, so no sloppy breech for me.

As Tony says they can be really nice to shoot if you manage to find a good one, I also have to admit that I also prefer it over my Mercs

Pete
    Haha! I just knew you'd love this thread, Pete. But I have been very complimentary on previous posts about this little gun, remember.

Fully know where you're coming from when looking at group sizes when comparing smaller and larger calibres.

Trigger - if you remember, this one has a "custom" trigger blade as fitted by a previous owner. I guess it's a copy of the Superstar one, but swept back also. It has the little notch in the back that, when I've looked at Superstar parts drawings, houses the tiny spring, but this one's missing. So you don't get that "springy first stage", just a little bit of movement, then a definite stop followed by a nice, crisp release.

And I was so glad that the breech jaws weren't sloppy. I'd have just nipped them up if they had been, but no need.

Firing cycle wise. Funny you should mention the Mercury. The firing cycle on this one very much reminds me of when the above mentioned friend and I once fitted Titan springs to our Challengers. Very nice and quick firing cycle and super-quick perceived "lock time". The only thing is, they were doing 14.5ft.lbs. My friend had an FAC. I never have, so mine got de-tuned.

I'll say it again for the extra "Pete Grin Factor" - I love it!