Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Happiness is a BSA Supersport.

Quote Originally Posted by look no hands View Post
    That sort of sounds a little sarcastic(I know it isn't) but I can just see you sat there thinking "he's off on one again"

Pete
    Quite correct, Pete. Not a hint of sarcasm and enjoyed reading that.
    THE BOINGER BASH AT QUIGLEY HOLLOW. MAKING GREAT MEMORIES SINCE 15th JUNE, 2013.
    NEXT EVENT :- May 4/5, 2024.........BOING!!

Quote Originally Posted by louisvanhovell View Post
    Really nice reading material, this thread
    Nice that you love this relatively simple and cheap airgun so much, and that you shoot so well with it.
    Personally I find that most BSA's have a bit more character to them than the German offerings. Just this nice Englishness, like a Land Rover and a Barbour waxcoat.
    Although I've never owned a Supersport, I have just bought a Lightning in .22 for 120 pounds posted. I was happy with that deal.
    It's in great condition, but the trigger needed some attention (I swapped the trigger mech from a Spitfire donor/repair gun, and now it's spot on).
    Perhaps that's the reason why it's so clean, who knows.
    I'm loving it. Not pretty, no, but as written above: a very comfortable stock. Much like the one on Ultra mmc's.
    Used to have a Welsh Willy tuned Lightning in a wooden stock - nicer to look at. I regret selling that one. It was lovely.
    Cheers and enjoy

Very nice and purposeful looking brace of rifles there, sir.
    THE BOINGER BASH AT QUIGLEY HOLLOW. MAKING GREAT MEMORIES SINCE 15th JUNE, 2013.

look no hands is offline Even better looking than a HW35
    Quote Originally Posted by TonyL View Post
    Quite correct, Pete. Not a hint of sarcasm and enjoyed reading that.
    Phew! that's a relief, I wouldn't want to think I'm boring you

Just in case you've not seen mine before

If BSA had kept making the Supersport/Lightning like this one, then I'd think they'd still have a good following and a bit more respect.

Pete
    Far too many rifles to list now, all mainly British but the odd pesky foreigner has snuck in

Looks nice does that, Pete.

I'm downright hopeless at uploading images. When I get some piccies taken of mine, I'll ask my IT guru New Paul if I can e-mail some photos on so that he can post them.

Be warned, though. The "custom" stock is, er, very unique and the 'scope looks hideous with the top turret all skew-whiff and the very individual pressed on white plastic cover on the windage turret!

As I've said before, it has all the hallmarks of a proper "knock-about" gun, but once you've got to know the internals intimately and witnessing how well it shoots, it somehow becomes so much more than that and really something quite special.

Looks nice does that, Pete.

I'm downright hopeless at uploading images. When I get some piccies taken of mine, I'll ask my IT guru New Paul if I can e-mail some photos on so that he can post them.

Be warned, though. The "custom" stock is, er, very unique and the 'scope looks hideous with the top turret all skew-whiff and the very individual pressed on white plastic cover on the windage turret!

As I've said before, it has all the hallmarks of a proper "knock-about" gun, but once you've got to know the internals intimately and witnessing how well it shoots, it somehow becomes so much more than that and really something quite special.
    I was having a look through some spares today and found a .22 carbine barrel with ZD serial no stamped on it (which makes it a Challenger barrel), gawd knows where that came from but I know what rifle it's going on

Pete
    Far too many rifles to list now, all mainly British but the odd pesky foreigner has snuck in

I was having a look through some spares today and found a .22 carbine barrel with ZD serial no stamped on it (which makes it a Challenger barrel), gawd knows where that came from but I know what rifle it's going on

Pete
    Isn't it nice when you re-find such lovely little surprises?

Now, let me guess........

Isn't it nice when you re-find such lovely little surprises?

Now, let me guess........
    I'll give you a clue......it begins with a 'C'

Actually I've just realised that I can make a Challenger carbine with the proper barrel and serial number

Pete

I'll give you a clue......it begins with a 'C'

Actually I've just realised that I can make a Challenger carbine with the proper barrel and serial number

Pete
    Sorted!

Maybe scope for a slight de-tune also, Pete.

Sorted!

Maybe scope for a slight de-tune also, Pete.
    Now then me old mate Tone, prey do tell, why would I want to de-tune it?

Yours confusingly.

Pete

Well, unless I've guessed wrong, Pete, you'd be switching it with the .177 barrel?

So, if the power output was already healthy with the tiddler bore, switching to the more efficient .22 would raise muzzle energy too high, creating the need to de-tune and bringing with it the benefits of lower cocking effort and a sweeter firing cycle.

Well at least one Suoersport will be at KP tommo

Well, unless I've guessed wrong, Pete, you'd be switching it with the .177 barrel?

So, if the power output was already healthy with the tiddler bore, switching to the more efficient .22 would raise muzzle energy too high, creating the need to de-tune and bringing with it the benefits of lower cocking effort and a sweeter firing cycle.
    Sorry for any confusion Tone, I have a few Challenger/Mercury S based rifles, I've had so many over the years and have bought other stocks and parts and have made hybrids, I've also got a couple of untouched Challengers/Merc S's, I've just realised I need to change my rifle list below as my .177 hybrid now has a Merc S stock on it not the Challenger stock it once had and the .177 barrel is a Lightning barrel, so a right old mix of parts.

I think I need to take stock of what rifles I have and how they've evolved over the years.

Pete

Quote Originally Posted by Binners View Post
    Well at least one Suoersport will be at KP tommo
    Who's might that be?

Pete

Who's might that be?

Pete
    ah just some old fat bloke

Sorry for any confusion Tone, I have a few Challenger/Mercury S based rifles, I've had so many over the years and have bought other stocks and parts and have made hybrids, I've also got a couple of untouched Challengers/Merc S's, I've just realised I need to change my rifle list below as my .177 hybrid now has a Merc S stock on it not the Challenger stock it once had and the .177 barrel is a Lightning barrel, so a right old mix of parts.

I think I need to take stock of what rifles I have and how they've evolved over the years.

Pete
    Yep, it's all too easy to think that you'll remember all the guns and bits you have and details of what you've done to them rather than writing it down.......only to forget!