Okay then, my first experience of the Supersport was back in 1988. One that I bought for my ex-wife () in .177. A snappy, snarling, hold sensitive little beastie. Did the "old school lube tune" back then which, although it improved its manners slightly, the firing cycle left much to be desired. Ended up trading it in for another HW80.

Fast forward a fair few years to about 2012 (I think). I bought an as-new Lightning for £110 including scope. Very, very consistent. Accurate, at least at the close ranges I tested it at, but very twangy. I was all set for treating it to a V-Mach kit, but then I thought the better of it and put the extra money to another HW95 instead.

Fast forwards a few more years and I still had fond memories of my old Super Meteor Mercury and thought I ought to seek out an older, cheaper Beesa break barrel.

Well, it got better than that as, about 14 months ago I was given an early Supersport. It has a very "distinctive" customised stock. Barrel and cylinder externals rough and a few gouges out of the stock. Broken foresight and the rear sight is missing. But it wears a 4x32 BSA scope that's very clear, so that's fine. The vertical adjustment turret is sort of hanging out, but seemingly all working okay.

Chrono check revealed a very modest 9.5ft.lbs. Cocking effort was very low.

Removing the stock revealed a broken cocking link. Looking on Chambers and part no longer available. And the BBS's super-hero Mick, T20, came to the rescue with a free "exchange" link.

On stripping the gun, the cause of the low power output quickly became apparent, with the mainspring being broken in three places. And the barrel detent spring was broken too. Guess what? Detent spring no longer available. Then that lovely man Pete, looknohands, stepped up to the mark with the two springs. And also a Tinbum guide and top hat.

Thank you Mick and Pete.

It didn't have a wobbly breech, which was a huge bonus.

Cylinder internal finish was very, very good and I must say I was pretty impressed with the quality and finsh of the piston. Everything polished up and refitted new components with a sparing lube.

Firing manners very good, accuracy very good, smooth cocking. But she was a little warm so I whipped the spring out and it stood for a while.

This January I shortened the spring (two coils off and ground flat and polished ends etc). Just a smidge under 12 with Hobbies, a little less with Jumbo RS and a foot pound or so less with all other pellets tested.

And it's sweet. As in very, very sweet. I posted on my original thread about how accurate it is. It positively loves the Hobbies. At ten yards it'll print a hole with five shots barely larger than a single pellet hole shooting sat. But it's the effortless way it achieves this that really impresses.

This afternoon I had a very pleasurable plink in the garden at about 14 yards. Just wanting to tweak the zero a little more before I try it out at longer range at The Boinger Bash.

Now, although I say so myself, I used to be okay at standers. These days I'm hopeless. So I thought I'd get a little practice in. After the first few shots I bottled it and leant on the wall with my shoulder. Nice, loose hold. Result? Five shot groups easily smaller than a 5p piece. I then tried totally free standing and the groups only increased a tad. Absolutely lovely.

I think one of the reasons why I found it so easy was the trigger. That nice and crisp single stage affair seems to work in harmony with your reflexes. Even when virtually "snap shooting" where you don't hesitate.....once the aim point is on, "fire" and she's away. Sometimes when shooting sitting I find myself checking, double-checking and taking far too long. But this quicker style certainly worked today and the little Supersport loved it.

It almost feels like the quick feeling shot cycle is also contributing to this ease of achievable accuracy, a "snapping glass" sensation and the shot's off.

All this in a freebie, cosmetically challenged package. I am absolutely loving this little rifle. Unassuming, purposeful looks, lightweight and feeling like a "proper sporting rifle". Don't get me wrong, if I were to only have one rifle it would be a HW. But I'm developing a strong bond with this rifle. And it is a definite keeper.

Now, amongst one or two others that I want one day, I really feel like I want another of these. Have I just got lucky with this one? Is there actually much difference between pure Brum ones and Gamo ones? I wouldn't be going out and buying a new one (I still feel that there's not enough price difference to sway me from a HW99 or 95 if buying new), but I'd certainly be up for another of these or a Lightning if one were to become available cheaply.

Cheers for looking in, peeps.