Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Happiness is a BSA Supersport.

Near Wimbledon, SW London, or Lusaka, Zambia
    Quote Originally Posted by TonyL View Post
    ... One that I bought for my ex-wife () . A snappy, snarling, hold sensitive little beastie. Did the "old school lube tune" back then which, although it improved its manners slightly, the firing cycle left much to be desired.
    she sounds scary, even after lubing her up, no wonder you parted company
    Always looking for any cheap, interesting, knackered "project" guns. Thanks, JB.

Hi jacking here I wonder what a .22 in good nick would fetch?

Quote Originally Posted by Shed tuner View Post
    she sounds scary, even after lubing her up, no wonder you parted company
    Abserbleedinglutely, Jon Boy!

I had a very lucky escape there.
    THE BOINGER BASH AT QUIGLEY HOLLOW. MAKING GREAT MEMORIES SINCE 15th JUNE, 2013.
    NEXT EVENT :- May 4/5, 2024.........BOING!!

Quote Originally Posted by Binners View Post
    Hi jacking here I wonder what a .22 in good nick would fetch?
    Brum Supersport, complete and in good, original condition?

Don't know for sure, but maybe £125-£140?
    THE BOINGER BASH AT QUIGLEY HOLLOW. MAKING GREAT MEMORIES SINCE 15th JUNE, 2013.

Not a lot then, for such a fine rifle, thank you

Quote Originally Posted by Binners View Post
    Not a lot then, for such a fine rifle, thank you
    Bearing in mind that I'm no expert, Pete.

If I owned one in fantastic condition I wouldn't be selling it for that sort of money; just guessing at a valuation in that area.

Maybe a boxed, truly superb example closer to the £200 mark?

look no hands is offline Even better looking than a HW35

You can never tell with a Supersport, I bought mine for £90 from a gun shop down the west country and had it sent to the RFD I use, my local gun shop has one for £150 (not sure what age or condition), I may pop in and have a look, I suppose it all depends on condition and if it's had anything done to it.

I agree with you regarding the Mercury/Challenger style shot cycle, I always thought a Challenger with a Lighting barrel was the best 'pointable' rifle I'd used but when I swapped the Lightning barrel from the Challenger to the Supersport (I know I basically just made a Lightning) it just instantly changed my mind, I'd forgotten how much lighter the Supersport was (I had a Brum Lightning years ago) compared to the Challenger, the thing that really swings it for me is the Supersport Customs stock, that extra high cheekpiece really does make a difference (the same as the Challenger stock is better than the Mercury stock).

I still find it a bit strange when you pay compliments to anything non HW, I know you shoot and own other rifles and you probably blow your mind when you're at a boinger bash shooting what ever you can get your hands on but normally it's blah blah HW this and blah blah HW that, so it sort of throws me a little when you stray from your HW safe zone.

Pete
    Far too many rifles to list now, all mainly British but the odd pesky foreigner has snuck in

Quote Originally Posted by look no hands View Post
    You can never tell with a Supersport, I bought mine for £90 from a gun shop down the west country and had it sent to the RFD I use, my local gun shop has one for £150 (not sure what age or condition), I may pop in and have a look, I suppose it all depends on condition and if it's had anything done to it.

I agree with you regarding the Mercury/Challenger style shot cycle, I always thought a Challenger with a Lighting barrel was the best 'pointable' rifle I'd used but when I swapped the Lightning barrel from the Challenger to the Supersport (I know I basically just made a Lightning) it just instantly changed my mind, I'd forgotten how much lighter the Supersport was (I had a Brum Lightning years ago) compared to the Challenger, the thing that really swings it for me is the Supersport Customs stock, that extra high cheekpiece really does make a difference (the same as the Challenger stock is better than the Mercury stock).

I still find it a bit strange when you pay compliments to anything non HW, I know you shoot and own other rifles and you probably blow your mind when you're at a boinger bash shooting what ever you can get your hands on but normally it's blah blah HW this and blah blah HW that, so it sort of throws me a little when you stray from your HW safe zone.

Pete
    Ah, you see, Pete.......although my "later safe zone" may well be more HW biased, my earlier zone was well and truly BSA fuelled. My first "proper" air rifle was a Meteor Super (I sort of conveniently like to ignore the Relum 822) and I loved that little rifle. Joined a club where they shot rimfire at 25 yards, listened and learned and we got on very nicely together. And took a few bunnies and woodies and hundreds of rats.

I also later had a Mercury and the Mercury Challenger. For a good few years, that earlier Mercury was my only gun and we grew to know each other very well.

In the years that I haven't owned BSAs I've missed that great big gaping breech arrangement (especially with the larger 5.6mm bores). I know mine is a 5.5 and Hobbies are actually quite a tight fit when loading. Your .25 must be SO easy (as long as the fit isn't too tight).

Now, and I have also said this many times......in my opinion many UK sporting air rifles are more graceful in their lines and handle more naturally as "walk about field guns" than many of their German counterparts. The German tackle, in my eyes, bestowing more of a "deliberate, targetty feel", if that makes any sense? And I love the stock of Joffy's Airsporter Carbine. That really is a thing of graceful boingery beautifulness.

The early HW77K does feel very neutral and natural, though.

And I also have that Gamo that you also kindly let me have those lovely bits for. By the way, have you forgotten to do something??

Like my TX a lot too, but sorta more in a clinical way. And my Slavia 634 is a keeper, too.

So, I will always love and respect my HWs. Love every one of them. But that doesn't mean that love is exclusive to one brand, in'it? And I love all things boingery and could easily envisage (when funds allow) a Webley or two and an Air Arms sidelever or two too. As well as a LJ Light Pattern.

eyebull is offline Even a stopped clock is right twice a day
    Agree with all of the above apart from I haven't had experience of lots of examples.

The .22 Lightning I bought about seven years ago did seem accurate enough.

The experience I had with the .177 I had back in '88 would substantiate your comments re .177 vs .22, and pretty much as you'd expect when comparing efficiency and taking into account the relatively high power output for such a lightweight springer.

And, yes, an old shooting friend of mine who was mainly into shooting .22 rimfire but also FAC air, always spoke very highly of the .22 barrels and often used them for one-off projects.
    One thing I do really like about the Lightning is the synthetic stock. Even if plastic stocks aren't your thing it has to be tried at least once; it has a good high comb and vertical grip, and shoulders very nicely indeed.
    It's most of the reason I put so much effort into salvaging a bad rifle (eventually achieved by swapping the .177 barrel out for a .22 supersport one and toning down the spring).
    Good deals with these members

Quote Originally Posted by eyebull View Post
    One thing I do really like about the Lightning is the synthetic stock. Even if plastic stocks aren't your thing it has to be tried at least once; it has a good high comb and vertical grip, and shoulders very nicely indeed.
    It's most of the reason I put so much effort into salvaging a bad rifle (eventually achieved by swapping the .177 barrel out for a .22 supersport one and toning down the spring).
    Well, I do actually like synthetic stocks and did kinda think that I might try and source one one day, with the stock that it currently wears looking a little like a dog's dinner! But then, you know once you've lived with it for a while, had a bit of a tinker, got to know it inside out and that bond builds........? Well, this stock has kinda grown on me now!

Ah, you see, Pete.......although my "later safe zone" may well be more HW biased, my earlier zone was well and truly BSA fuelled. My first "proper" air rifle was a Meteor Super (I sort of conveniently like to ignore the Relum 822) and I loved that little rifle. Joined a club where they shot rimfire at 25 yards, listened and learned and we got on very nicely together. And took a few bunnies and woodies and hundreds of rats.

I also later had a Mercury and the Mercury Challenger. For a good few years, that earlier Mercury was my only gun and we grew to know each other very well.

In the years that I haven't owned BSAs I've missed that great big gaping breech arrangement (especially with the larger 5.6mm bores). I know mine is a 5.5 and Hobbies are actually quite a tight fit when loading. Your .25 must be SO easy (as long as the fit isn't too tight).

Now, and I have also said this many times......in my opinion many UK sporting air rifles are more graceful in their lines and handle more naturally as "walk about field guns" than many of their German counterparts. The German tackle, in my eyes, bestowing more of a "deliberate, targetty feel", if that makes any sense? And I love the stock of Joffy's Airsporter Carbine. That really is a thing of graceful boingery beautifulness.

The early HW77K does feel very neutral and natural, though.

And I also have that Gamo that you also kindly let me have those lovely bits for. By the way, have you forgotten to do something??

Like my TX a lot too, but sorta more in a clinical way. And my Slavia 634 is a keeper, too.

So, I will always love and respect my HWs. Love every one of them. But that doesn't mean that love is exclusive to one brand, in'it? And I love all things boingery and could easily envisage (when funds allow) a Webley or two and an Air Arms sidelever or two too. As well as a LJ Light Pattern.
    Not forgotten Tone, just not been able to get to the bank recently, should be going in today as have another cheque to bank, I have to admit I was put off Airsporters for a while because of their awful accuracy, although my faith in them has been rekindled since the arrival of my Airsporter S carbine, which luckily seems to be pretty accurate, with modern pellets as well (so no searching for old 5.56 Wasps) for an old tap loader.

Like you, I also had a lovely Challenger (my first one which cost me £40 but was in awful condition and needed a lot more money spent on it) that was worked on by Tony Wall and that was used for many years and has put more rabbits in the pot than any other rifle I've owned since, I stupidly traded it in for a AA Pro Elite, which strangely I struggled selling (it went for £160 posted in the end) but which I could probably sell ten times over now for a stupid amount, I have had a few HW's, which I have to admit the 95's have been excellent but the 77/97's I've never got on with.

The .25 is a dream to use now but the first .25 barrel I got from Knibbs was one of their cheap 'seconds' barrels and was as tight as a nuns chuff to get pellets in, the only real thing I don't like about it is the cost of the pellets (and the amount you get) and you could quit easily chuck £15 worth of pellets down range without thinking, it's that addictive to shoot, my neighbour (who luckily shoots) was working in his garden and didn't hear me shooting my .177 Prosport but wondered what the hell was going on when he could hear the .25 lumps hitting the target, I have to go and put the metal paper target holder straight again after about 5 shots, they hit that hard.

Pete
    Far too many rifles to list now, all mainly British but the odd pesky foreigner has snuck in

In my limited experience with this one, with power set sensibly using Tinbum guides and shortened standard spring, you'll be rewarded with an easy cocking and well-mannered little boinger. Be sure to also replace the breech seal.
    Thanks for the tip ! These days I never get through a whole tin of Bulldog pellets on a Saturday though

Quote Originally Posted by look no hands View Post
    Not forgotten Tone, just not been able to get to the bank recently, should be going in today as have another cheque to bank, I have to admit I was put off Airsporters for a while because of their awful accuracy, although my faith in them has been rekindled since the arrival of my Airsporter S carbine, which luckily seems to be pretty accurate, with modern pellets as well (so no searching for old 5.56 Wasps) for an old tap loader.

Like you, I also had a lovely Challenger (my first one which cost me £40 but was in awful condition and needed a lot more money spent on it) that was worked on by Tony Wall and that was used for many years and has put more rabbits in the pot than any other rifle I've owned since, I stupidly traded it in for a AA Pro Elite, which strangely I struggled selling (it went for £160 posted in the end) but which I could probably sell ten times over now for a stupid amount, I have had a few HW's, which I have to admit the 95's have been excellent but the 77/97's I've never got on with.

The .25 is a dream to use now but the first .25 barrel I got from Knibbs was one of their cheap 'seconds' barrels and was as tight as a nuns chuff to get pellets in, the only real thing I don't like about it is the cost of the pellets (and the amount you get) and you could quit easily chuck £15 worth of pellets down range without thinking, it's that addictive to shoot, my neighbour (who luckily shoots) was working in his garden and didn't hear me shooting my .177 Prosport but wondered what the hell was going on when he could hear the .25 lumps hitting the target, I have to go and put the metal paper target holder straight again after about 5 shots, they hit that hard.

Pete
    Cheers for sharing that, Pete.

Cheers for sharing that, Pete.
    That sort of sounds a little sarcastic(I know it isn't) but I can just see you sat there thinking "he's off on one again"

Pete

Really nice reading material, this thread
    Nice that you love this relatively simple and cheap airgun so much, and that you shoot so well with it.
    Personally I find that most BSA's have a bit more character to them than the German offerings. Just this nice Englishness, like a Land Rover and a Barbour waxcoat.
    Although I've never owned a Supersport, I have just bought a Lightning in .22 for 120 pounds posted. I was happy with that deal.
    It's in great condition, but the trigger needed some attention (I swapped the trigger mech from a Spitfire donor/repair gun, and now it's spot on).
    Perhaps that's the reason why it's so clean, who knows.
    I'm loving it. Not pretty, no, but as written above: a very comfortable stock. Much like the one on Ultra mmc's.
    Used to have a Welsh Willy tuned Lightning in a wooden stock - nicer to look at. I regret selling that one. It was lovely.
    Cheers and enjoy