Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Encyclopedia Of Spring Air Pistols By John Griffiths

Encyclopedia Of Spring Air Pistols By John Griffiths

Bit the bullet and paid the price to get Griffiths book that was in the Alm’s Auction. Your starting to see bits and pieces come onto the secondary market now. It is just a amazing work. So detailed and you have to wonder if it will ever be topped? I am constantly reminded how really small the Airgun collecting world really is. This was written just 10 years ago, but many prime collectors were all there willing to be a part of the effort. Alm’s collection is now disbursed. You have to wonder what will eventually become of Beeman’s collection? Great intentions often come into conflict with the heirs who have other things in mind.

The “collectors notes” on each pistol has so much insight. The amount of detail here is just insane, and just 300 copies.

You can thank our friend 'ccdjg' on this forum for his years (decades?) of research to bring the Encyclopedia to the world.

Don R.

To answer your question. I'm not sure John's labour of love will ever be equalled or repeated, although I would dearly love to see an air rifles equivalent. Despite several distinguished airgun writers, such as Trevor Adams, D T Fletcher, John Walter, Chis Thrale etc, the only effort I know of that comes close to rivalling the ESAP is the combined body of John Atkins' magazine writing over nearly 40 years - and it is not nearly as compact a read!
    Vintage Airguns Gallery
    ..Above link posted with permission from Gareth W-B
    In British slang an anorak is a person who has a very strong interest in niche subjects.

I was lucky enough to buy a copy last year, only just finished reading it all.
    Amazing book that I’ve turned to again and again whenever an obscure air pistol comes up for sale.

I also doubt it’ll ever be topped, so glad I bought one.

Cheers John!

I was reading the Robert Beeman biography in the Blue Book of airguns, a truly fascinating guy.
    I’m not sure if they had children, there was no mention of it in the book.

Made me wonder if anyone would carry on the good work....

arnie2b Guest
    That's one book that won't command a sensible price, it must be worth it.

Quote Originally Posted by draitzer View Post
    You can thank our friend 'ccdjg' on this forum for his years (decades?) of research to bring the Encyclopedia to the world.

Don R.
    Had no idea who ‘ccdjg’ was! It is a small Airgun world!

Quote Originally Posted by arnie2b View Post
    That's one book that won't command a sensible price, it must be worth it.
    Problem is any collector that has one will probably not want to give it up. So you first have to find one. I wonder how many are actually in the US. Alm had two, the seller is keeping one.

micky2 is offline The collector formerly known as micky
    Quote Originally Posted by 45flint View Post
    Problem is any collector that has one will probably not want to give it up. So you first have to find one. I wonder how many are actually in the US. Alm had two, the seller is keeping one.
    Yes the best book on air pistols ever, and the amount of information in it is invaluble. l did think twice about buying my copy when new as it was quite expensive at the time. but l am so glad l did.

If I could sleep with "The Encyclopedia of Spring Air Pistols" under my pillow I would. I am always referring to my copy of this outstanding reference book. I have been fortunate to own four copies of this historic publication. I sold a used copy of this book at the Hickory airgun show in August-2017 for $240. If you plan on attending the Findlay Ohio show in April, I will have an autographed copy of this book on my table, pricey--but well worth the price.

Steve - make sure you check out page 169 for the Model 75.

A copy sold on in the US for over $300 last week.
    I paid £120 for mine but knew it was a good investment.
    Very glad I got it.

Quote Originally Posted by ptdunk View Post
    Very glad I got it.
    Wonder what nut bought that one?

arnie2b Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by ptdunk View Post
    Very glad I got it.
    I think I know who bought that copy, could be wrong.

Is it true that only 300 copies were ever printed? If it is not true not many more were printed I think.

When you look at how rare that book is that is quite a sensible price.
    There are certain fly fishing/tying and firearms/shotguns books which had a run of at least 3000 copies and the prices asked for the collectible one's exceed almost 10 times, sometimes more than 20 times the original asking price.

The original asking price of this books was nearly 50 squid.

If you buy these books wisely who ever gets the inheritance, as long as they know what they've inherited, will be grateful to you.

Golly was that really ten years ago? Where do the years go?

I got it when it came out and would never sell mine. It’s incredible how comprehensive it is, and also well written

I wonder why they never reprinted it.

Quote Originally Posted by Jerry Cornelius View Post
    Golly was that really ten years ago? Where do the years go?

I got it when it came out and would never sell mine. It’s incredible how comprehensive it is, and also well written

I wonder why they never reprinted it.
    I would imagine that the demand among airgun collectors would be great but I think there are not a lot of us and 300 are out of the mix. I really saw that at the Alm Auction this year. Yes it’s a online world now but maybe 15 people in the hall? Nothing close to the action on the firearms. But given my sense of timing I’m assuming it will now come out in paperback?

Quote Originally Posted by 45flint View Post
    I would imagine that the demand among airgun collectors would be great but I think there are not a lot of us and 300 are out of the mix. I really saw that at the Alm Auction this year. Yes it’s a online world now but maybe 15 people in the hall? Nothing close to the action on the firearms. But given my sense of timing I’m assuming it will now come out in paperback?
    Well the author and self-publisher is a regular visitor to this forum, so you may not have long to wait to find out!

As for the number of collectors out there, my feeling is that the number attending an auction in person in the US is not a very good guide to the global figure. The internet has certainly brought a lot of collectors out of the woodwork, but a lot like to stay in the shadows and possibly even more are old school and don't participate in forums - and even may not be online at all!

There seems to be a parallel online collectors' fraternity (if you can call it that) to we 'visible collectors', who don't make themselves known but do seem to buy collectables (often at vastly inflated prices) from the likes of the auction site, JC Militaria and Gunstar.

Also, look at the numbers attending Kempton, even if most look from the pics to be 50+!
    Last edited by Garvin; 30-03-2019 at 01:08 PM.
    Vintage Airguns Gallery
    ..Above link posted with permission from Gareth W-B
    In British slang an anorak is a person who has a very strong interest in niche subjects.