Thread: Two underlevers. Any detail info. please

Two underlevers. Any detail info. please

Thanks for looking. Asked to look at these for possible resto. A BSA and Relum as you see. BSA rear sight, back to front, on the Relum. Any other info./value please.

The best resto yo can do on the Hungarian Swamp Donkey (Relum) is cut 6" off the muzzle.

Then it fits in the bin easier.

Hope That Helps.
    Ian
    Founder & ex secretary of Rivington Riflemen.
    www.rivington-riflemen.uk

Gareth W-B is offline Retired Mod & Airgun Anorak Extraordinaire
    Quote Originally Posted by I. J. View Post

The best resto yo can do on the Hungarian Swamp Donkey (Relum) is cut 6" off the muzzle.

Hope That Helps.
    Ian
    Said it before, and I'll say it again. Ian Jones, you am de bad bad (but very funny) man.

Done my bit for the BBS: http://www.airgunbbs.com/showthread....-being-a-mod-… now I’m a game-keeper turned poacher.

The BSA looks well worth a sympathetic restoration. I would love one like that to give some TLC.
    Those more knowledgeable than me can offer a valuation particularly if you provide the serial # and calibre.

The BSA sight on the Relum looks to be off a small rimfire rather than an air rifle to me?
    WANTED: Next weeks winning lottery numbers :-)

Relum, well its a Relum. Some like them, most do not. The bsa sight on the Relum is off a .22 rifle. I would not bother doing too much to it, just get rid of that sight and try and get an original. Price wise, in good condition they go for less than £100.

The BSA on the other hand looks good. My favorite air rifle (I have a few myself). Early Bayonet/spade under lever so would date from around 1906 to 1914 though with the P pat tap cover and metal butt plate, id say more likely 1907/8. If you tell us the serial number we can get the date for you. Looks to be in good condition, metal wants a bit of a clean but wood looks good. Front sight looks odd to me, might not be original or a rare barley corn type? Does not look to need much work, just a clean and it should be good (cosmetically that is, no idea what the insides look like!).

Value on the BSA would be in the general area of around £150 to £250. What caliber is it? This matters mainly because if there is a number 3 above the loading port then boy its worth a bomb! 3 would mean its a .25 caliber and is incredibly rare. But more than likely is a .177

So yeah, BSA is worth some money the Relum not so much.

Thanks for the input all.
    Huttles 94 sorry this should have been where the duplicate was.

Hello,

Mr John Knibbs gives the production date of the BSA as April to Sept 1909, and these guns were dispatched from the factory during the period April 1909 to January 1912. They were all 43.5 inch Standard Pattern guns, and were a combination of .177 and .22 models. .22 pre-war guns command a premium in price, as most were .177. Your gun was produced just after the period when most of the .25 guns were made in 1908. Fine wire wool, and light oil will improve the outside of the metalwork. A cloth, and some warm soapy water will remove some grime from the stock, but make sure you polish it dry again. It could probably benefit from a thorough strip down and re-lube if you are going to shoot the gun, also while you are at it deep clean the barrel, as you will be surprised how much filth gets into the barrel in over 100 years. Check the piston washer, as a lot break up over time, and need replacing. Plenty of info on BSA's on Danny Garvins excellent Gallery.

Value of the BSA - around £160 if .177, but nearer £200 if .22

Thanks Lakey for full, informative, support. Not my rifle. I can see, through the slot, the spring is damaged. Just asked to assess for repair.
    Looked worth the effort to me and now confirmed by pals on here. So thanks again all. Will update on any progress.

ggggr is offline part time super hero and seeker of justice
    Well----the Bsa is worth the trouble and it does not look bad so assumng it is cocking ok and the trigger is working, apart from a bit of time (DO NOT RE BLUE IT!) , it will probably come down to a mainspring and piston washer.
    Re the Swamp Donkey---It looks like someone has put a foresight from something else on it as well as the rearsight. A foresight will be about £15 and protek do the rears for £6 + post so you are looking at £25 there. If all the screws are ok, that should just be a mainspring and piston washer.
    Check one of the tangs of the trigger spring is not broken off. Another thing to check is the rubbing pad on the cocking arm if it is rubbed right down. You can get the fibre now or lift the old one out and put some epoxy in the hole and replace it , leaving it proud.
    A single mainspring and a bit of tube for a guide is better than the double spring set up.
    One more thing to watch out for. When you are placing the action back in the stock is to pull the trigger when you are putting the rear stock screw in, otherwise they can feel like they are going in properly when they are not.
    Cooler than Mace Windu with a FRO, walking into Members Only and saying "Bitches, be cool"

Quote Originally Posted by I. J. View Post

Hope That Helps.
    Ian
    All know the Beeza is the money. But the Relum is or was a good workable East Block rifle. I had one as a kid.I was very good.. .You would get a good 50 -70 ish(asthe photo) at a car boot sale. Always a buyer.

I like Relum. For £60 I would buy it even to just hang it on the wall after little TLC