Thread: Westlake S2

Westlake S2

I have acquired one of these today for the princely sum of £0!

The little thing has far exceeded my expectations and is a joy to use. Simple, seemingly robust spring pistol fun. Trigger far better than I would have guessed and the firing cycle is extremely civilised.

Does anyone know of any strip down guides / schematics? It's dieselling heavily and I think would generally benefit from a strip, clean and re-lube?

Thank you in advance.
    THE BOINGER BASH AT QUIGLEY HOLLOW. MAKING GREAT MEMORIES SINCE 15th JUNE, 2013.
    NEXT EVENT :- May 4/5, 2024.........BOING!!

Seemingly very little information on these.

However, I came across a video earlier and just about wet myself laughing watching this guy's antics!

It was a foreign video so I couldn't understand him talking. The pistol was already in bits and he was at the stage of re-fitting the piston and spring.

The spring was crudely chopped at both ends with lovely, sharp jagged ends. No spring guide. He poured quite a liberal amount of oil all over the piston and a good measure more into the cylinder. Fitted piston. Then inserted spring. There wasn't a guide, just a washer at the back of the spring. Now, there was only minimal preload, but he has this washer resting on the spring and then compressing it with a screwdriver which is trying to slip off. He needs to get the washer far enough down so that the cross pin (Meteor stylee) can be inserted and he keeps making a proper old mess of it. The pin, once eventually inserted, just rests on the plain washer. Plenty of scope for improvement methinks, then, when I have a tinker.

I'm thinking degrease, clean, inspect seal and action accordingly, source a suitable spring and alter and finish properly, spring guide and top hat and then a more suitable design of retainer for the mainspring so that you haven't got a fairly narrow round pin up against the flat washer. Thinking along the lines of the part as fitted to a Supersport / Lightning.

Should improve this remarkably civilised feeling budget pistol even more.

Oh yes, at the end of the video he has a dirty great big hammer and isn't half whacking the hell out of the end plug to refit it!

Haven't laughed and cringed in equal measure so much in years!!
    THE BOINGER BASH AT QUIGLEY HOLLOW. MAKING GREAT MEMORIES SINCE 15th JUNE, 2013.

I bought one of these Chinese break barrel pistols about 20+ years ago. Mine was rough and inaccurate but was only about £25 new.
    WANTED: Next weeks winning lottery numbers :-)

I understand that build quality will be variable, but my experience so far has been very different.

I was given it for free. The owner told me it was rough and that it fired when returning the barrel after cocking. So my expectations were very low and I had had no first hand experience of them.

It certainly looked rough but I quite warmed to the rugged solidity and the styling of the breech block and foresight arrangement. I cocked it but didn't load and whacked it really hard a fair few times and it was fine. I kept cocking, de-cocking, cocking and whacking and all good. So then decided to have a plink.

And I was pleasantly surprised.....trigger fine, not heavy, but quite crisp and predictable. And the fring cycle very refined. So it far, far exceeded my expectations. It's the .22 smoothbore version. I tried it at just three yards to start with and then moved to between six and seven yards and, if I did my bit, was grouping at about an inch and a half. Dieselling, as mentioned. And not one hint of the gun going off by itself. I even treated it to an oiling with 3-in-1 and the metalwork looks okay. Prior to that it was caked in stuck on gunge.

I thought I'd be taking it home, trying it out and maybe just stripping for fun and then lobbing it, but I'm now quite intrigued as to how nicely I can get it to shoot with a low budget fettle.

Plenty of holdunder!

I have one of these which I purchased in the early nineties. It's the .177 version, with a rifled barrel. I've tried adjusting the sights but it's still wildly inaccurate; at six yards I have to hold under by about six inches and slightly to the left. When I do that, it's perversely satisfying watching the pellet curve up and strike the target. I hear that its muzzle power is only about 2 ft/lbs. I'm not entirely sure what to do with it. Even my son and young cousin are giving it a swerve!
    Air Arms Pro-Sport .22 cal walnut stock (2019), BSA Supersport .177 cal (1999), British Diana Model 27 .177 (1950s), Umarex 850 M2 .22, Webley MkVI Service Revolver .177 pellet (2019), Sig Sauer XFive .177 pellet, Colt 1911 pellet.