Thread: Addition to the Zella-Mehlis collection EM-GE Herkules

Addition to the Zella-Mehlis collection EM-GE Herkules

Couldn’t resist now that I have a recently acquired Zella-Mehlis fetish. Funny I usually like perfect examples but loved this cause it was just full of character? I’m assuming they made nickel versions not that there’s much left? Also came out of the Alm Auction, on a auction sight from a guy who won a 14 gun lot.

Has anyone seen a nickle finish on one of these?

ccdjg is offline Airgun Alchemist, Collector and Scribe
    I have researched the EM-GE Herkules pistol from several German catalogues of the period and none mentioned it being available with a nickel finish. However it is always possible that a few were made but not in sufficient quantities to warrant advertising, and your example looks very authentic. That great matt- silver type nickel finish is what one would expect from a gun of that age, so even if it is not a factory finish I would say it was probably plated from new. IMO that makes it more valuable than a blued example.

Yes.

I figure who ever brought them out to NZ considered it would be worth while bringing the shiny version!

Here is the lot it came from. Alm had about all the variations. The winner has only put up for sale the nickle EM-GE, and a few of the other pistols. I noticed too that the nickle version had a thinner handle than some of the blued ones. Assumed it may be the earlier version? I remember looking at the one with the unusual site when I was at the auction, had cross hairs and glass lense.

He payed $1380 for the lot of 14 pistols. $100 a piece!

Last edited by 45flint; 26-03-2019 at 10:59 AM.

Somebody got a real bargain there! It would take the average collector at least 10 years and a hell of a lot more money to put that little collection together.

The Herkules with the unusual sight, like the Diana 5 Target furher down, was an arcade or shooting kiosk gun. It is a reversed telescopic sight, designed to make the target look farther away and so increase the challenge to the shooter in a restricted space. The open sights can be seen clearly in the field of view and are used in the normal way.

This silver/matt finish is seen on Ingvar's Bisley too. I thought it could have been vapour-blasted. Incidently John, a crack in the cylinder was noticed.

micky2 is offline The collector formerly known as micky
    Quote Originally Posted by 45flint View Post
    Here is the lot it came from. Alm had about all the variations. The winner has only put up for sale the nickle EM-GE, and a few of the other pistols. I noticed too that the nickle version had a thinner handle than some of the blued ones. Assumed it may be the earlier version? I remember looking at the one with the unusual site when I was at the auction, had cross hairs and glass lense.

He payed $1380 for the lot of 14 pistols. $100 a piece!

What another bargain from that auction. l wished it had been in the UK, but haveing said that l don't think l would have been able to have afforded anything. as l am sure they would have gone for a lot more money over heer.

I just purchased John Griffiths book, another Alm auction resale. It says “a nickelled version is known (presumed to be original)”. Given Alm’s status as a collector I can’t help but wonder if this is that gun?

Yes, indeed it is. Ingvar was a valued contributor of data for the book, particularly for the gallery-type pistols.

Quote Originally Posted by ccdjg View Post
    Yes, indeed it is. Ingvar was a valued contributor of data for the book, particularly for the gallery-type pistols.
    That is kind of cool.