Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Webley MK3

Quote Originally Posted by tikkapaul View Post
    another reply mentions how to load it I have always cocked a rifle and then put in the pellet, why should this make a difference.
    I think the difference mentioned earlier refers to tap position when cocking. i.e. if the tap is in load mode cocking can create a "vacuum" so when loaded and moved to "fire" position the pellet may i) prevent full charging of compression chamber
    or worse still ii) inhale the pellet into the chamber 'cos the transfer port is same size as barrel calibre
    Dim but willing. J

Quote Originally Posted by deejayuu View Post
    I think the difference mentioned earlier refers to tap position when cocking. i.e. if the tap is in load mode cocking can create a "vacuum" so when loaded and moved to "fire" position the pellet may i) prevent full charging of compression chamber
    or worse still ii) inhale the pellet into the chamber 'cos the transfer port is same size as barrel calibre
    Dim but willing. J
    As they say you learn something new every day ,good point thankyou.

Quote Originally Posted by deejayuu View Post
    Dim but willing. J
    Quote Originally Posted by tikkapaul View Post
    As they say you learn something new every day ,good point thankyou.
    I’ve never measured the transfer ports on my MkIIIs, but I have read that they can be as large as 5.6mm - the same or bigger than a .22” pellet. Which is nuts and can indeed with the wrong manual of arms cause the pellet to be ingested into the cylinder followed by slam bang thank you (not) ma’am. Most efficient 10-12ft-lbs springers have TPs around 2.8-3.2mm. I believe that some shed tuners have successfully reduced the port size and got better results.

Hope I can help with this. Strangely for some reason Webley actually made the transfer port bigger in dia. than the bore, so it's not unknown for pellets to get trapped in there, worth a look. Also as has been said the actual cycle of cocking and loading is specific, the gun should be cocked with the tap empty and in the firing position, allowing free air into the gun; the tap opened for loading whilst tightly holding the stock and cocking lever open, the cocking lever returned and locked, [ the reason for holding the gun as described and opening the tap, is that if the sear breaks there is an air block in front of the piston and the cocking arm shouldn't slam shut]; load a pellet and fire.
    This was standard procedure on inspection. As to lubrication, for the piston head Neatsfoot oil without doubt; for the tap standard grease was light lithium in later years, earlier on I'm not sure. Silicone as such in basic form is not a lubricant as such and will cause damage if left and used.
    If you know the piston washer is pretty good you can impregnate it with oil very easily. Open the tap, put a couple of drops of oil into it, close it and cock the gun, sucking the oil into the cylinder, re open the tap again as if to load, while holding every thing tightly as before, close the cocking lever as normal and fire the gun, with the tap causing an ''air lock'' the oil will be forced into the leather piston head parts, also as a bonus if the tap is air tight the piston will only close in stages, slowly; a slam shut means an air leak somewhere.
    Finally take a look at the stock fixing plate screw holes; it was not uncommon for leaks to happen there and the cure was old fashioned bubble gum; some people on stripping MKIII' s have commented on pink loctite in these holes; it wasn't loctite just gum. It was chewed and a tiny blob of soft gum was put in the hole, then the plate and screws fitted, the gun put aside for a while for the gum to set and it usually solved the problem. Info gained from works factory experience.
    Mainspring sizes from official Webley charts is AR3/40; O/D 0.820"; O/A 9.500"; wire 0.120"; coils 30 closed both ends. Given the tolerances of the time my measurements from actual mainsprings at the end of production was an average of:- O/D 0.835"; O/A 9.750" > 10.000"; wire 0.125"; coils 30. Given the number of spring makers used over the years it's not surprising some differences occurred.
    Hope this helps somewhat, and when operating the gun please be very aware of the huge forces involved in carrying out any of the advised operations, my advice is just that, but comes from factory experience. DO TAKE CARE.

A most informative post, sir.
    THE BOINGER BASH AT QUIGLEY HOLLOW. MAKING GREAT MEMORIES SINCE 15th JUNE, 2013.
    NEXT EVENT :- May 4/5, 2024.........BOING!!

Thanks Abellringer.

Thanks guys very interesting points, I will keep you up to speed with my progress when I have had another look.

Following my earlier post including a safe method of cocking the MKIII. I have been reminded, [very nicely may I add] that other makers used different methods that were just as safe, BSA for instance rarely had the same level of air tightness in their loading taps, and loading levers went into the stock fore end; so they cocked the rifle, put the cocking hand into a totally flat position and used the flat hand under the cocking arm, to close it, likewise for the original importers with the OR Mod 50.
    The message being, basically there is more than one way to safely cock an underlever gun, just be aware of the dangers involved in getting fingers or hands caught in the mechanism.
    The same level of care must also be applied to some imported side lever guns with no or badly designed safety systems, where fingers can get caught inside cylinders, I know this is non MKIII related, but I don't think safety can be over emphasised.

I love the airsporter mk2 for easy rapid fire fun.. down and up with the under lever, drop in a pellet, close tap, fire.. all in only takes about 3 or 4 seconds once you get into the swing of it.. I'm sure someone mention a fusilade competition on here a while back.. or was it a salvo? Whatever, I'd love to part of a group of 5 or more mk2 airsporter shooters blasting targets as quick as we could in some kind of competition
    Donald