Thread: Webley Senior

Webley Senior

DO NOT REMOVE or NOT TO BE REMOVED.... that is the question.

Today I purchased a Webley Senior at Kempton Park. Fantastic show and great stuff there.

I am a complete newbie to Webleys, and was wondering why my new piece has NOT TO BE REMOVED on the rear of the pistol, whereas, many I have been looking at on line have the words: DO NOT REMOVE. Can anyone enlighten me?

Best regards to all.

Quote Originally Posted by Arminius View Post
    DO NOT REMOVE or NOT TO BE REMOVED.... that is the question.

Today I purchased a Webley Senior at Kempton Park. Fantastic show and great stuff there.

I am a complete newbie to Webleys, and was wondering why my new piece has NOT TO BE REMOVED on the rear of the pistol, whereas, many I have been looking at on line have the words: DO NOT REMOVE. Can anyone enlighten me?

Best regards to all.
    NOT TO BE REMOVED = pre-war.

DO NOT REMOVE = post-war.

Variants with no markings are known, including early post-war production.

Other pre-war identifiers are (a) no knurling on the barrel, (b) thin trigger (compared to post-war), (c) post-war grips have “Webley” moulded into the top, pre-war don’t.

Quote Originally Posted by Geezer View Post
    NOT TO BE REMOVED = pre-war.

DO NOT REMOVE = post-war.

Variants with no markings are known, including early post-war production.

Other pre-war identifiers are (a) no knurling on the barrel, (b) thin trigger (compared to post-war), (c) post-war grips have “Webley” moulded into the top, pre-war don’t.
    Interesting, thank you.

This pistol has 'Not to be removed', on the rear, but it does have the knurling on the barrel, which I understood was a post war feature. It also has "Webley" folded into the grips. Perhaps it is immediately post war, so there were variants and cross overs?

Thanks. Mine definitely says: 'Not to be removed'. However, it (a) has knurling on the barrel, (b) it does have a thinner trigger compared to later examples, and (c) It has Webley moulded into the grips. I really don't think its a parts pistol, but I could be wrong, mainly because all parts have the same ageing and wear. Were examples known in the 1940's that had a combination on pre and post war features?

Webley were renowned for using parts from a previous model on a new model/variant until all old parts were used, so anything's possible.
    They did the same with some of the boxes.

Quote Originally Posted by Arminius View Post
    Thanks. Mine definitely says: 'Not to be removed'. However, it (a) has knurling on the barrel, (b) it does have a thinner trigger compared to later examples, and (c) It has Webley moulded into the grips. I really don't think its a parts pistol, but I could be wrong, mainly because all parts have the same ageing and wear. Were examples known in the 1940's that had a combination on pre and post war features?
    Quote Originally Posted by Troubledshooter View Post
    Webley were renowned for using parts from a previous model on a new model/variant until all old parts were used, so anything's possible.
    They did the same with some of the boxes.
    Indeed.

So most likely is, Arminius, that you have an early post-war pistol that was made up with an older style of end plug.

Many thanks, theres such knowledge on this forum.
    I'm enjoying shooting the senior! Having fun and games adjusting the site though!!!

Much variation in post war start up. I have a early post war Senior with blank end cap, slim trigger and one plain and one Webley Grip.