Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Quiet pistol?

career707lover is offline His one man drag act at the dog and duck sells out every friday

Quiet pistol?

I'm thinking of getting a new pistol. I've owned many over the years but don't actually have any at the moment. It will just really be for plinking and informal target work. However it needs to be 177 (never saw the point of a .22 air pistol) and most importantly quiet! So things like HW45, Tempest etc are out. I was wondering are there any effective suppressors for co2 pistols or are they just really for show? I like the thought of multishot but without the muzzle blast?

Thanks in advance

eyebull is offline Even a stopped clock is right twice a day
    You can get moderator adaptors for quite a few of the CO2 pistols, and they are effective. Obviously the width of a good silencer does often force you to use a red dot or scope rather than the irons.
    I have moddy adaptors for my Umarex 1911 and S+W 586. The 1911 gets away with it because it has tall target sights, but I needed to mount a red dot to the 586.
    Good deals with these members

New Webley Nemesis with a HW silencer on .
    Very quiet

career707lover is offline His one man drag act at the dog and duck sells out every friday
    Quote Originally Posted by eyebull View Post
    You can get moderator adaptors for quite a few of the CO2 pistols, and they are effective. Obviously the width of a good silencer does often force you to use a red dot or scope rather than the irons.
    I have moddy adaptors for my Umarex 1911 and S+W 586. The 1911 gets away with it because it has tall target sights, but I needed to mount a red dot to the 586.
    Quote Originally Posted by Alakar View Post
    New Webley Nemesis with a HW silencer on .
    Very quiet
    Thanks guys definitely some food for thought there. I quite fancied a Makarov, had one before and really liked it and it seems there is low profile moderator available but it only seems to be from a russian site and I think you have to buy a new barrel that is threaded and possibly an adapter which pushes the price up quite a bit. I was considering a Crosman 1377 (obviously no moderator) but with lower pumps I was thinking it might be quieter?

Quote Originally Posted by career707lover View Post
    Thanks guys definitely some food for thought there. I quite fancied a Makarov, had one before and really liked it and it seems there is low profile moderator available but it only seems to be from a russian site and I think you have to buy a new barrel that is threaded and possibly an adapter which pushes the price up quite a bit. I was considering a Crosman 1377 (obviously no moderator) but with lower pumps I was thinking it might be quieter?
    1377 is very quiet on one or two pumps. Crosman say use two as the minimum, but mine works fine at close ranges on one. Six to eight is definitely noisy though.

Most of the SSPs (eg Nemesis, FAS604, HW40, HW75, Gamo PR15/45/AF10/Compact) are quite quiet. As are mid-power springers like the older Diana LP5/5G.

My Alecto is *super* quiet with a moderator, I actually thought the gun was broken the first time I used it. Same thing when I made a mod adaptor for my Beeman P17. I presume it is because pneumatics are very efficient with air and the knock open valve itself is quiet in operation..

A 1377 will not be that straightforward to get a moddy onto, unless you get a longer barrel, and then it will be a piece of cake - Crosman adaptors are everywhere.

The thinner profile moderators that you can get - and I suspect this is the same thing you are talking about for the Makarov - are not nearly as effective as a full size moderator, although they do take the sting out of it. Their big plus is still allowing you to use low profile iron sights. I picked one up from Versandhaus Schneieder and it now languishes in my airgun bits box.
    If the weight of a full size HW moderator is too much on the end of a pistol, I would suggest the Pax carbon fibre moderator, which is very light and only a tiny bit less efficient than a HW mod. That's what I have on the Alecto.

Oh, and the 'foresight posts' that you can supposedly screw onto the crosman moderator adaptors in place of the set screw, are a load of old shite imo. Don't bother.

Thanks for the info guys. I had a Gamo compact and i was reasonably quiet, as was the AF10 probably because they have similar or possibly even the same internals. I think I just like the idea of silencer

Smk cp2 with the supplied silencer is super quiet.

Cp88 with the adapter and a moderator is very quiet, certainly quiet enough to use in the garden without disturbing the neighbours.

Atb
    Chris
    BSA Ultra Multi .22 ( Falcon Merlin 10x42T, `Tweaky` reg, HW mod, Cobra Merlin+Dipol L3 ), Skan M32 .177 (3-12x44 mini SWAT), Alros Trailsman .177 (Simmons WTC 1.5-5x20 , `Tweaky` reg ), Steyr Evo 10e and a Daystate Pulsar. 177..

Quote Originally Posted by grahamdiesel View Post
    Smk cp2 with the supplied silencer is super quiet.
    I can definitely second that.

Sound off

Quote Originally Posted by nikonman View Post
    I can definitely second that.
    The Daisy 700 series SSP's are one of the quietest pistols. I also have an Alecto with a moderater,silencer,LDC....... It's scary quiet.
    Pneumatics, C02 and PCP's work the best with these devices. Imagine a 747 with some sound suppression! A spring piston gun will moderate the
    least.

Quote Originally Posted by eyebull View Post
    My Alecto is *super* quiet with a moderator, I actually thought the gun was broken the first time I used it. Same thing when I made a mod adaptor for my Beeman P17. I presume it is because pneumatics are very efficient with air and the knock open valve itself is quiet in operation..

A 1377 will not be that straightforward to get a moddy onto, unless you get a longer barrel, and then it will be a piece of cake - Crosman adaptors are everywhere.

The thinner profile moderators that you can get - and I suspect this is the same thing you are talking about for the Makarov - are not nearly as effective as a full size moderator, although they do take the sting out of it. Their big plus is still allowing you to use low profile iron sights. I picked one up from Versandhaus Schneieder and it now languishes in my airgun bits box.
    If the weight of a full size HW moderator is too much on the end of a pistol, I would suggest the Pax carbon fibre moderator, which is very light and only a tiny bit less efficient than a HW mod. That's what I have on the Alecto.
    Hi. I have some P3's I wouldn't mind moderating. Tell me about your adaptation for your P17.

My Alecto combined with a swift stumpy moderator is the quietest gun I've shot, quieter than HW 100.

My pp700 (I believe it is called Zasdar in the UK) is really quiet with a moderator.

Love that pistol (.22). Especially with the folding stock. Whisper-silent, great grouping as far as 60 meters. A coca cola can @ 94 meters proved to be (repeatedly) possible as well. 40 pellets at 188 m/s with JSB express (with very little wind offcourse).