Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Airgun licensing in England and Wales

Airgun licensing in England and Wales

Last year there was a commotion regarding the possibility of an airgun licence being introduced into England and Wales. I believe they were also trying to ban .50 caliber weapons as well.

I assume the proposals were all dropped?

look no hands is offline Even better looking than a HW35
    There's been a lot of discussion on here about it, I can't remember what the outcome was but I don't think it will be happening very soon, the police don't have enough officers to govern it all (or the resources) and I'd say that there are bigger things to worry about at the moment like Brexit and more importantly knife crime.

The other problem will be trying to find out who has an air rifle, they are like push bikes, they have never been licenced or properly controlled in the past, so trying to trace them all will be impossible, it's also down to the individual, some of us will be honest enough to get one but many others won't bother and as per usual, it will be the honest law abiding shooter/citizen who will get picked on and the trouble makers will just sink into the shadows.

Pete
    Far too many rifles to list now, all mainly British but the odd pesky foreigner has snuck in

The .50 cal legislation was dropped.
    No legislation for airgun licensing was proposed.

The Home Office are carrying out a review of airgun law.
    But are probably very busy with more important stuff.

But I see in today’s mail that pellet guns have been used in a youth bust up.
    So we can imagine what’s going to happen.

I love the fact that my hobbies are only allowed as long as criminals in London behave themselves.

I was very surprised to read on another thread that in Scotland there is still a power limit

Quote Originally Posted by DukesArcher View Post
    I was very surprised to read on another thread that in Scotland there is still a power limit
    The power limit still stands as it comes from the 1968 Firearms Act which is a UK law, not devolved to the Scottish Government. Frankly, I'm quite glad, because it were devolved I suspect it would be a lot lower.

Alan

Why are you surprised ? They are still low powered airguns so they are on a AWL . Once over 12 ft lbs they are FAC as they are in England and Wales . Northern Ireland puts airguns over a certain limit on FAC over there (energy in excess of one (1) Joule (0.737 ft lbs) and then there is no limit on power.

Airguns not Requiring a Firearm Certificate

In Northern Ireland airguns and CO2 guns having a discharge kinetic energy in excess of one (1) Joule (0.737 ft lbs) require to be held on a firearm certificate.

Quote Originally Posted by bighit View Post
    Why are you surprised ? They are still low powered airguns so they are on a AWL . Once over 12 ft lbs they are FAC as they are in England and Wales . Northern Ireland puts airguns over a certain limit on FAC over there (energy in excess of one (1) Joule (0.737 ft lbs) and then there is no limit on power.

Airguns not Requiring a Firearm Certificate

In Northern Ireland airguns and CO2 guns having a discharge kinetic energy in excess of one (1) Joule (0.737 ft lbs) require to be held on a firearm certificate.
    It would have made more sense to have all airguns on a AWL.

Non of our firearms laws make sense to be fair. At least the Scots kept up that tradition
    Danny
    My collection = Ratworks BSA Scorpion T-10 .177, HW100KS .177 (tweaked by me), PP750, Crosman 1322 and 1377

Quote Originally Posted by gingernut View Post
    But I see in today’s mail that pellet guns have been used in a youth bust up.
    it said on the BBC's website shotgun pellets. There seems to be an effort among the tabloids to blur and erase any difference.

edit: https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-47688811
    Last edited by YorkshireDave; 25-03-2019 at 08:06 PM.

I just hope we don't see the same here. I was under the impression that any proposals for future licensing had been dropped.

robby is offline Whos the odd one out now
    Scotland got the airgun license due to a mass outcry and long campaign from an airgun shot dead child's mother!.

No it wouldn't because if it included sect 1 firearms the AWL would have to have the same rules as getting a FAC.

It wasn't possible. The UK government only passed the power to legislate on sub 12ftlb air weapons to the Scottish Government. The Scottish Government have no power to change the rules on FACs or the guns held on them.

The chap who originally proposed the AWC is now a convicted criminal.

Quote Originally Posted by YorkshireDave View Post
    it said on the BBC's website shotgun pellets. There seems to be an effort among the tabloids to blur and erase any difference.

edit: https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-47688811
    Just Dumbass journalist.

Quote Originally Posted by distantcamera View Post
    It wasn't possible. The UK government only passed the power to legislate on sub 12ftlb air weapons to the Scottish Government. The Scottish Government have no power to change the rules on FACs or the guns held on them
    Good job, the AWL is a mess in Scotland
    Custom BSA S10 .22 PAX Phoenix Mk 2 .22 Custom Titan Manitou .22 (JB BP) HW77 .22 FWB Sport Mk1 .22 Sharp Ace .22 Crossman 600 .22 Berretta 92 .20 Desert Eagle .177