Thread: Phoenix Arms Company England-who were they?

Phoenix Arms Company England-who were they?

Hi Guys,

Whilst digging through a box of scopes I found a revolver made by the Pheonix arms Co. England. It looks full sized with wooden grips but obviously did not fire a pellet or even a blank. The action seems seized and I don't want to force it as I don't even know what it was meant to do!

Is this just a prop? I recall they were sold by Sussex Armoury but again not sure, maybe mad Jackal collectors will know?

Sussex Armoury went bankrupt in about 1983. The guy who owned it, Richard Marriott-Smith, then set up an almost identical business called Phoenix Arms, continuing to sell airguns, blank firers, replica guns, knives, etc.

His big mistake was starting manufacture of the Hy Score pistol, including buying the production line for it from America. Which didn’t sell very well over here, and, lacking a safety, did not get officially imported into the States.

They also made Gat variants, including, IIRC, the worlds only production .22” Gat.

They went bankrupt again a few years later.

It sounds to me like you have one of the replicas. Or maybe a blank firer.

Thanks Geezer, I suspected Sussex Armoury involvement! I have no idea if it fires blanks etc... mystery solved though. Thank you for the infor mate I now know where it originated.

Some good information here

http://www.jackals-lair.com/sussex_armoury_10.html

It is a great shame that the British Hi-Scores didnt work out as they were nice pistols in my opinion.

Lakey

Thanks for the link Lakey-Star wars connection, can't believe it. What a great company Sussex Armoury was-my Jackal is my favourite rifle and its nice that there is a tenuous connection with the pistol that has turned up.
    Again thanks for the link which is now saved.

JRH is your man and a local lad to Phoenix, SA etc - the video below was made for you! A great YT channel to follow too:

Not sure how to embed video on here but:

The History and Products of the Phoenix Arms Company | Air Armoury:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FeM8xaMjd1A
    Max; looking for: Baikal IZH 61 side lever rifle

Thanks for the link, that is an excellent vid. The guy certainly knows his stuff! Really useful for Jackal enthusiasts

Phoenix arms co

Prior to Pheonix Arms the family ran a business in the village where I grew up in Kent, amazingly called Kent Sales, selling militaria and vintage weapons etc. Always had a small mouthwatering display in the window of what was once our village coop. The business later moved in to the village Manor house. This was all years ago (mid 70s). But the family are still in the village and live in the same road I live in. Strangely their house is the house my mum was evacuated to during the war. Small world!
    Theoben Fenman, Theoben Scirroco 2000, BSA Cadet Major, Webley Premier MK2, ASI Sniper!

Thumbs up

I believe this HyScore mk2 sporter was made by Phoenix Arms (May be wrong though!)..

This huge starting pistol is marked as Phoenix Arms too!, It came to me with no grips so I started making a set out of antler, Actually got them finished apart from drilling the holes for the screws!!

John
    for my gunz guitarz and bonzai, see here
    www.flickr.com/photos/8163995@N07/

That Hy Score is probably one of the best preserved examples! Amazing work on carving the antler...what is it like? Similar to carving wood? The grips will look amazing...the pistol I have is a short barrel version of yours though I doubt that it ever fired a blank, more of an acting prop I think.

Quote Originally Posted by Gamocfx View Post
    That Hy Score is probably one of the best preserved examples! Amazing work on carving the antler...what is it like? Similar to carving wood? The grips will look amazing...the pistol I have is a short barrel version of yours though I doubt that it ever fired a blank, more of an acting prop I think.
    Hi Carl

The antler is treated like wood, Same tools to shape it basically, The inside is like a Crunchy bar though and will need stabilising with cyano glue to make the honeycomb solid and hard!!

I'll have to dig it out one day and finish it!!

Mine has wear by the way and will only index the next chamber if pointing down!!, I think there may be a return spring missing too!!

Some more pics of the HyScore, These were the sellers pics although I swapped two Webley pistols for it (Mk1 and a Webley Senior)..

John
    for my gunz guitarz and bonzai, see here
    www.flickr.com/photos/8163995@N07/

Quote Originally Posted by johnbaz View Post
    I believe this HyScore mk2 sporter was made by Phoenix Arms (May be wrong though!)..

John
    Yes, that was definitely made by Phoenix Arms company / Hy-Score UK. Probably around 1990.