Thread: Theoben evo

Theoben evo

Any way of reducing the kick on these rifles and best silencers
    Thanks

Make sure the piston/breech seals are good and it's hard to beat a weihrauch mod bud.

I can almost guarantee that the ram is overpressured. These rifles are VERY sensitive to this and the remedy is simple. One tap on the Schrader valve with a drift pin is usually enough to reduce the internal pressure enough to make a difference.
    Personally I prefer a muzzle weight to a moderator as the noise is mainly from the action of the piston slamming forward not an air blast as found from a precharged rifle.
    'It may be that your sole purpose in life is to serve as a warning to others'.

Quote Originally Posted by Scoob32 View Post
    Any way of reducing the kick on these rifles and best silencers
    Thanks
    Recoil.

If it’s set up properly inside, you just have to get used to it, and hey presto, you are hitting stuff. For example, my old HE Sirocco has the characteristic fast/snappy shot cycle, much different from and more noticeable than a well put-together springer, but is in good nick mechanically and shoots very straight.

Problem is, some owners over-pump the ram. That briefly increases power, but the piston seal starts to melt, causing power to drop off. So they pump it up more, causing the seal to melt even more. And so end up with something that makes 7 ft/lbs, is a total bar steward to cock, and kicks like a 7.62 NATO.

Hard to diagnose over the internet which of these conditions applies to your rifle. If it is a bit harder to cock than an equivalent springer, but not stupidly so, makes power and is consistent over a chrono, and hits stuff, it’s probably the former, and I’m afraid the answer is to learn to love the “recoil”. If not, it’s rebuild time.

Silencer.

I think the Theoben ones are fine, and visually and historically correct for the rifle. You could doubtless do a little bit better with a more modern design, but I would bother myself.

Edit: left this window open for ages and missed the 2 posts above, with which I obviously agree on the internal stuff.

Evo

Thanks for the reply think I’m just used to pcp rifles shoots great but seemed a little more snappy then my old hw80 , I’m sure I will get used to it in no time 👍

gas rams are always snappy mate, bear with it and you'll soon get the knack of 'em. The fast lock time soon pays dividends with accuracy. Springers are lazy/ sedate in comparison, unless they are short stroked. Just a different experience. Is it 22 or 177? If its 177 i've found that backing off the power a bit as suggested above does help - if its 20 then its compulsory that you stick with it lol
    The evo mod, though very good lookin', is ok'ish tbh - ukneil used to do internals upgrade for them, but he's retired now. Get the end off with a bit of heat, its easy to add some more washers/ spacers (inserts to create more air expansion chambers) with addition wadding like hair curlers wrapped in felt in the chambers between the washers/ spacers - and it does make a difference, especially if you size the washer apertures to the calibre (+ add a few mm).
    stick with it bud....
    'Windage & Elevation, Miss. Langdon - Windage & Elevation!'

evo

maybe a full service as those mods are pretty good

By the nature reserve, in the Great Outwood, Wakef
    Chrono it before doing anything else. As has already been said, people over pressure them to get more power out of them.

The .22 I had was an absolute joy to shoot when set at around 10.5. I tried it at very near the limit and it was indeed snappy.

Set at 10.5 it was just a gentle nudge in the shoulder and incredibly accurate. I disagree that they are ‘all’ snappy. When set at the right pressure they are fantastic rifles.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Valentine View Post
    Chrono it before doing anything else. As has already been said, people over pressure them to get more power out of them.

The .22 I had was an absolute joy to shoot when set at around 10.5. I tried it at very near the limit and it was indeed snappy.

Set at 10.5 it was just a gentle nudge in the shoulder and incredibly accurate. I disagree that they are ‘all’ snappy. When set at the right pressure they are fantastic rifles.
    I agree these rifles are much better to handle running at under 11ft.lb rather then trying to extract a level close to the limit.
    Regards,
    Dave.