Thread: Bsa cadet major

Bsa cadet major

Help stripped to service it and a little spring fell out of trigger not sure if it fits near trigger adjustment bit anyone got a picture or diagram of how trigger is please

The spring most likely fits into a recess on the rear top face of the trigger with the other end of the spring fitting into a small recessed hole in the end block. To fit, you may find it best to put spring in the trigger, held with a bit of grease, then locate the other end into the block while you use the trigger to compress the spring as you move the trigger into the block to insert the pivot pin. I use a parallel punch first to hold it then add the pin. Note spring guide mentioned here.
    Idiots Guide in Collectables may help ... post 30/31, part reproduced here:

The following applies to both Cadet and Cadet Major: The Cadet and Major have the same trigger lever. Knock out the trigger pin and remove trigger, its spring and the little spring guide that looks like half a nail. You now need to unscrew the trigger block and may need a vice if the gun has not been apart for many years (or ever). It may help to use a vice to hold the (padded) cylinder, place a piece of thick flat bar in the trigger housing slot and lever it. (this was after plus-gas and heat treatment). This was why we removed the trigger--to allow this. Once undone, remove guide, mainspring and piston. Piston washer is leather held on by a special threaded nut. The piston rod used to be listed as a spare part but I don’t know if it still is. Clean bits. See if trigger block will screw right home and slot line up with cocking slot. If not, you can file a touch off end of cylinder so you are not forcing thread on block. Lube and replace piston, mainspring and guide and screw in trigger block. If you can’t get a proper mainspring replacement then a Meteor one cut to about 19.5 cm will do. Put guide pin in spring and locate and refit trigger and pin. On the Major refit sear and spring. Locate cylinder plunger and spring, refit barrel and then cocking arm. Replace action in stock and tighten stock screws.

Cheers, Phil

Quote Originally Posted by Phil Russell View Post
    The spring most likely fits into a recess on the rear top face of the trigger with the other end of the spring fitting into a small recessed hole in the end block. To fit, you may find it best to put spring in the trigger, held with a bit of grease, then locate the other end into the block while you use the trigger to compress the spring as you move the trigger into the block to insert the pivot pin. I use a parallel punch first to hold it then add the pin. Note spring guide mentioned here.
    Idiots Guide in Collectables may help ... post 30/31, part reproduced here:

The following applies to both Cadet and Cadet Major: The Cadet and Major have the same trigger lever. Knock out the trigger pin and remove trigger, its spring and the little spring guide that looks like half a nail. You now need to unscrew the trigger block and may need a vice if the gun has not been apart for many years (or ever). It may help to use a vice to hold the (padded) cylinder, place a piece of thick flat bar in the trigger housing slot and lever it. (this was after plus-gas and heat treatment). This was why we removed the trigger--to allow this. Once undone, remove guide, mainspring and piston. Piston washer is leather held on by a special threaded nut. The piston rod used to be listed as a spare part but I don’t know if it still is. Clean bits. See if trigger block will screw right home and slot line up with cocking slot. If not, you can file a touch off end of cylinder so you are not forcing thread on block. Lube and replace piston, mainspring and guide and screw in trigger block. If you can’t get a proper mainspring replacement then a Meteor one cut to about 19.5 cm will do. Put guide pin in spring and locate and refit trigger and pin. On the Major refit sear and spring. Locate cylinder plunger and spring, refit barrel and then cocking arm. Replace action in stock and tighten stock screws.

Cheers, Phil
    Its the sear spring thats broke on mine i think it fits near the trigger adjustmant sear john knibbs has them in stock

Cadet

Hi
    Don't know if this will help

https://i.imgur.com/IhG7GHA.jpg

Apologies ... memory took me to the wrong rifle ... senior moment. But the bit from Idiots is correct.
    Cheers, Phil