Thread: newbie questions

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

newbie questions

hello guys,

just picked up a second hand rcbs reloading kit and set myself up for .308 win to feed my howa 1500 varmint, been looking and thinking about this dark path for a while went to get some ammo from the gun shop and came away the kit.

after an initial problem with the Full-Length re-sizing die -Decapper I have de primed my cases and full length resized , my hand case trimmer was tightened to much and trimmed the first few to below 1.950 ish so not going to use these

my first newbie question is max and min case length have seen 2.005 min 2.015 max do the cases have to all be exactly the same length or as long as they are within the max and min length ? most of my resize cases are between 2.009 to 2.013 will these be ok to use as is and move on to primers ( after pocket clean case and neck clean )

extra info i have smk 168 gr heads ( howa loved these ) and Hodgdon - BL-C(2) powder these are just for target plinkin.

thanks guys

the length of case will be safe but if you want consistency sort them in to batches of equal length . there are some great you tube videos that will take you through every step. take your time and double check every thing
    KEEPING THE FAITH

as above......its not critical but try and be consistant as you can....my 308 loves 175gn vlds whilst my 30-06 likes 168 smk lol

thanks so the closer the better ( as i can by hand ) is best and im double checking everything

next question
    some of my cases are crimped the primers came out ok and have seen you can chamfer the primer hole to fit the new primer in ( using the de-burring tool ) ok to do or a no no ? ( all the brass is once fired by me from the howa )

post a pic of primer hole.....
    is the brass GGG military or did you prime the cases before you fired them in your howa ? if so just de cap and re prime etc

ggg nato rounds ex countryman derby

first time of firing them