Thread: Best Rapid Mk2 FAC .22 accuracy?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Question Best Rapid Mk2 FAC .22 accuracy?

Been speaking to the remarkable helpful and knowledgeable Ben Taylor about 40ftlbs Rapid Mk2s and have a question for those of you guys on here that have them.

Wondered if i could have a no BS accuracy chat with those of you with experience of the Rapid MK2 at 38 or 40 ftlbs with Bismags/Barracuda Match. Are we talking 1" at 75yards? Or are we talking two inches at 65? ....

Mr Taylor has assurred me that we'll get the gun perfect and i trust him that we will get it spot-on.
    I am also aware that the R2 is CAPABLE of stunning groups....I've just seen a few that weren't so brilliant as others (not from him, mind....!)

You experiences with that rifle, those pellets and those powers please. I am not asking for a debate on pellets, ftlbs etc.

The gun will be fired almost exclusively off a big bipod. It will be 19" Weihrauch-barrelled, fitted with the 500cc bottle and the Taylor reg. What can i expect from it? Presuming perfect shooting and perfect shooting conditions, what can i expect, accuracy-wise? I'm sure getting one from Ben Taylor will ensure i get the very best from what is already a fine rifle.

Thanks for your comments, Richard
    Marksmanship = Accuracy, Consistency, Observation and a little of The Force
    SharpshootingUK www.sharpshootinguk.com

not if it helps but i have managed groups just slightly bigger than 1" with 5 shots at 70 yards with 30ft/lb MK2 with bis mags in windless conditions off a bench and thats with a theoben barrel.
    m8 has same gun but a bsa barrel and air arms pellets grouping slightly less than an 1" at 70 yards.
    we tried both guns at 100 yards and 10 shot groups were being placed inside the lid of a tin of bis mags.
    shooting was inside a long chickenhouse that was cleared of chickens!!
    He who never made a mistake never learned anything!
    He who never missed never shot!

Chr!st that's impressive Thank you for your comments.
    Anyone else?

(trying to keep stupid grin off face )

verminhunter is offline The founder of the FAC .25 Big Boys Fan club
    Got the same barrel as your having,19ins HW barrel,guns doing 34ftlb 850fps bis mags with 72 reged shots,very accurate and tight grouping at 70 yards,also at 100 yds the gun was accurate,my tests were done rested,to my findings firstly the rifle is far accurate then I'll ever be ,will out shoot any shooter by far so it's not how accurate the gun is but how good of a shooter are you?,secondly I've turned the power right up to see how the gun preforms and turned the power down to see,at 36,38 and 40ftlb yea great but not as tight the groupings with bis mags .22.AA's not bad but any wind and their off,also if you hunt you'll find you dont need that power,waste of air and pellet's going so fast it just overkills unless it's hit a vital part of your prey, the lower level say at 32ftlb 820fps was amazing,nice tighter groups with 84 reged shots and gun felt it was running sweet,my prey were hit with more success,I found that 32ftlb-34 ftlb was a nice level,still alot more power then you'll ever need,also find at 32ftlb gun's not as loud as when you start going 34's and above,as a vermin contoller and a hunter I've got to find what my gun likes and what's the sweetest spot for my rifle,found 32ftlb with lots of shots,as said before if your shooting at doors and steel tins as to see the deepest dents then yea36,38 and 40ftlb and lots of air,if your huntting then try 32ftlb,hope I've been of some help,say hello to Ben and Dan and happy shooting mate.
    Last edited by verminhunter; 06-10-2005 at 07:03 PM.

ady williams Guest

just dropped mine

just dropped the power on mine after a lot of trial and error and found it shoots best at 28-32ftlbs1/2 groups at 50m and 3/4 at 70m still plenty of energy to dispatch bunnies or corvid he he.at this range i use a harris bipod.

Angry

Don't be aloof. He's trying to help.
    Thank you Verminhunter.

Gary C, I know you're well respected on here and fair enough but that sort of talk is not called for.

Cheers, Richard

Whatever mate. You're out of order. That's all.

Quote Originally Posted by Gary C
    Put this in google and every known language and still can't find an English version....
    Was going to be rude but never mind,you've always had a dig at me no matter what,you always get the one that spoils it ,and there's me welcoming you back.
    What a sad case.
    Last edited by verminhunter; 04-10-2005 at 11:00 PM.

With the .22 16" theoben barrel I am getting ragged hole 5 shot groups at 50 yds with my MkII

Had the gun set at 28ftlb initially but found I was wasting air and was causing a tad too much muzzle lift with the jetting. Took it back to 26ftlb which is much more quite and less wasteful. I have nearly 100 shots out of a fill.
    Plenty of energy left at 60 yds to kill rabbits with provided you are accurate enough.

Am about to try a 20" BSA barrel on the gun which I have been assured will tighten up the groups even further. Which will be nice

One thing I have noticed with the BSA barrels, they can be very pellet fussy, not all of them mind you

Baz

What did you tidy up Baz I missed it?
    Any one banned?

Ben

monkey hanger Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by baz
    One thing I have noticed with the BSA barrels, they can be very pellet fussy, not all of them mind you

Baz
    I have two Fac rapids one is set up @40lbs with a bsa 19.75 barell awt silencer etc will group at 45 yards less size than a 20p piece I have no probs firing prone at 70 to 100 yards very accurately I use bismags and nothing else on this gun recntly put a busnell elite 4200 4x 16x50 on this? better than a trip to an optician wonderfull scope trully opens up the guns capability!!

Other gun was set up with at 30 lbs "had" (waiting for another bsa 20" barrel)a standard anshults 16" barrel would still fire "anything" accurately found it as accurate as my HW100 (12lbs) using superfields or ftt's should be incredible with the bsa barrel (when I eventually get it????)
    cheers Mh

brockly Guest

barrels

Quote Originally Posted by baz

Baz
    The AWT barrels are lightly choked and not pellet fussy,tried all the other makes but found much tighter groups with this one and cheaper

5thplaceron Guest
    Thanks Baz,I am certain lots of shooters are put of from posting,afraid of being pulled apart by persons with a better understanding of Engilsh I know I was.Cheers, Ron.

Hope we all learn from all this
    Last edited by verminhunter; 06-10-2005 at 10:51 PM.