Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What one?

What one?

Looks like my Steyr Evo10 is on it's way to being sold as I don't use it to its fullest potential and need to turn it back into cash.

But I don't want to be without a pistol as I still want to shoot at 10m at my club on the postal comp we enter during the year.

So I'm already looking for a replacement for the Evo!

Gamo Compact
    FAS 6004
    HW45 Silver Star
    HW75

I know all these pistols are a HUGE step down to my PERFECT Steyr, but I need to down size to something a little more cost affective for what I now do with a pistol!

Any thoughts on the above?
    Last edited by MrChipShoulder; 26-07-2019 at 10:08 PM.

All your suggested pistols are not to be sneezed at but I wouldn’t put the HW 45 in the target category.....great fun but not a match winner.
    To be honest, you won’t go far wrong with a FWB 65 or 80......a little bit more money but accuracy is on par with a PCP and in my opinion it’s easier to cock than your listed SSP pistols.

Eric.

The FWB 65 or 80 would be OK, but finding a good one wouldn't be easy.

I read about the older 604 being much better than the newer 6004.
    I read about the older compact being much better than the newer compact.

Is the Artemis PP700-W worth a look at only £220ish ??
    Or maybe the Lov 21at only £100 ??

I know people fiddle with the Lov 21, how much better can the Lov 21 be if looked at in the right places?
    Last edited by MrChipShoulder; 27-07-2019 at 08:40 AM.

RobinC is offline Awesome Shooting Coach and Author.

None of them

Rob

None of them, if you can get a not messed about with original FAS 604, its better than any of them, and a real target pistol, and there are a few about.
    A FWB 65 or 80 are a bit dated, a Walther LPM-1 or FWB 100 are nice and very usable, but cost more, and are rare.

Have Fun
    Robin
    Walther KK500 Alutec expert special - Barnard .223 "wilde" in a Walther KK500 Alutec stock, mmm...tasty!! - Keppeler 6 mmBR with Walther grip and wood! I may be a Walther-phile?

Quote Originally Posted by MrChipShoulder View Post

I know people fiddle with the Lov 21, how much better can the Lov 21 be if looked at in the right places?

Going from a Evo10 to a Lov 21 would be like going from a Rolls Royce to a clapped out Morris Minor, however, although the Lov 21 is a very simple design it shoots better than it's price point would suggest. It's CO2, so relatively recoiless, powerful enough to cut clean holes in the target and it has a decent barrel.

Although the sights are adjustable, they're not anything like a target pistols click adjustable sights. The trigger is poor with no adjustment but can be improved with a bit of tinkering.

My Lov 21 will group 5 shots in 12mm at 10m from a clamped rest (outside edge to OE) which easily holds the 10 ring of the 10m pistol targets.

My impression is of a vague similarity to my BRNO B96 pistol, very similar cocking system etc. and it wouldn't surprise me one bit to find CZ supplied the barrel

I've designed and 3d printed some upgrades for the Lov 21 (adjustable palm shelf, extended sight base/barrel weight etc.) that make it quite fun to shoot.

This shot one hand, open sights, 10m.

So email to Robin aside, looks like I'm looking for a good 604 :-)

Or what about an Original TAU BRNO match?

Come to think of C02, are there any new to buy now, good quality regulated C02 pistol options out there?
    Last edited by MrChipShoulder; 27-07-2019 at 09:38 PM.

I agree with Robin that the FWB 100 series would be the way to go but the problem is they’re about as common as hens teeth and when one does come up for sale they’re at Steyr prices.........I gave up trying to find a 100 and bought a FWB 80, had it serviced by Dave (DM80) and now have a superb target pistol which will see me out and requires no C02 or bottled air.....sorted!!

Eric.

I keep reading the 6004 is under powered. The 604 is the original and better version, but again, not easy to find. All this hunting for a 30 year old pistol is getting very tedious. This isn't the first time I've tried.

Surly somebody makes an off the shelf half decent target pistol thats not too expensive?

I've been offered an Original TAU BRNO match with the laminate grip, again, an old pistol, but are they any good ?
    I've also been offered a Baikal IZH46M with :-

Custom made walnut anatomical grip.
    Steyr compensator and front sight.
    Custom trigger rail and a Morini lookalike gold trigger.
    New piston washer fitted 3 weeks ago.

Of the two offered to me above, what one would be the better overall pistol for club 10m comps?
    I'm interested in accuracy, consistency, reliability and usability (up to a point, serviceability)

Cons on the Tau is C02 needs to be used up, so committed to a set number of shots per 'fill' or waste C02.
    IZH nose heavy and needs cocking effort, may add up over a shoot?

Don't worry about how good 'these exact' offered pistols are as any Second Hand item may have hidden problems. I'm just interested in the pistol type as a whole.
    Thanks.
    Last edited by MrChipShoulder; 27-07-2019 at 11:41 PM.

MrChipShoulder,

WRT the Baikal MP-46-M ; for me, this is a superb pistol. I do not find it 'muzzle heavy', and its cocking stroke is among the lightest of the SSP pistols I have used, including the classics from Walther & FWB. If I were to be restricted to using just this pistol, I would be quite happy

My Tau 7 Match is also, for me, a superb pistol : I get ca. 60 - 70 shots per 12g CO2 caplet - a lovely shooting pistol

As 1066 has said, the LOV21 is a good pistol, which for some reason is very much under-rated in its shooting abilities. The finish of the bore on mine is absolutely stunning. Excellent value for money, and a very good 'starter' pistol.

Have fun & a good Sunday

Best regards

Russ

The MP-46-M is a lovely pistol to shoot, and although I have not owned one I was able to borrow one for a while and really enjoyed using it.
    I like the rugged simplicity of the pistol, the easy cocking action and the accuracy that it gives.
    The pistol gives the impression that it was designed to be easy to strip and service - essential if you live in the middle of Russia miles away from everything - and very handy for us in the U.K. too!
    For some time there has been a problem getting seal sets for this pistol as the U.K. importer does not support the pistol properly with spare parts and that put me off of actually buying one of my own, but Russ recently gave me a link for them on “the bay” and so this problem is “sorted” as genuine seal sets are now freely available.
    Much as I also like the FAS 604 (mk2 especially) I would personally go for the Russian SSP as it is built like a tank but feels like match pistol !
    Rossendale Target Shooting Club. Every Tuesday and Thursday evening 7 - 10pm.

Quote Originally Posted by PhatMan View Post
    MrChipShoulder,

WRT the Baikal MP-46-M ; for me, this is a superb pistol. I do not find it 'muzzle heavy', and its cocking stroke is among the lightest of the SSP pistols I have used, including the classics from Walther & FWB. If I were to be restricted to using just this pistol, I would be quite happy

My Tau 7 Match is also, for me, a superb pistol : I get ca. 60 - 70 shots per 12g CO2 caplet - a lovely shooting pistol

As 1066 has said, the LOV21 is a good pistol, which for some reason is very much under-rated in its shooting abilities. The finish of the bore on mine is absolutely stunning. Excellent value for money, and a very good 'starter' pistol.

Have fun & a good Sunday

Best regards

Russ

Agree with that Russ, although you can't really compare the MP46 and the Tau 7 to the humble Lov 21. Both the Tau and the MP46 were designed as "Target" pistols and although not "top draw" are still capable of stunning performance (in the right hands). The Lov on the other hand is a very simple/cheap plinking pistol that can be made to shoot quite well. (Think Pony club target shooting rather than Olympics).

I would say as a starter pistol for 10m the Lov works quite well, it would get you started without thinking you need to spend a grand or more and then finding 10m is not for you. If on the other hand, you're were averaging in the 80's with a Lov it's probably time to upgrade a little. You will certainly learned a lot about trigger control.

1066, I am selling my Steyr Evo 10 to cash it in as it stands me in for £1550. I bought it brand new 18months ago, but I need the money back out of it, as life is getting tight, so looking for something MUCH cheaper so I still have a pistol to use and some spare cash!

It seems that I will be getting a really nice condition Walther CP3, but now needing to look into buying a C02 bottle.

1066, I am selling my Steyr Evo 10 to cash it in as it stands me in for £1550. I bought it brand new 18months ago, but I need the money back out of it, as life is getting tight, so looking for something MUCH cheaper so I still have a pistol to use and some spare cash!

It seems that I will be getting a really nice condition Walther CP3, but now needing to look into buying a C02 bottle.

Now that's a good choice - Quality pistol but the CO2 makes it a bit out of fashion, I have a CP2 which is much the same. I found the cheapest option for the CO2 was to buy a small fire extinguisher from an unmentionable auction site for about £35 delivered ( 273878447690) - that will last for several thousand shots then can be refilled for about a fiver.

When the pistols cylinders are completely empty I weigh them and write the exact weight in grams on the cylinder - then you can re-weigh them at any time to see how much gas is remaining. To get maximum gas in the cylinders you need to chill them in the freezer for a while before filling. My pistol performs the most consistently with a filling of around 15 grams of gas down to around 5 grams - about 80 shots I guess.

Thank you 1066.
    I have looked up that number and added it to my page.
    So would I just buy the bottle and unscrew the fitting on the top and screw in the fitting that comes with the pistol?

Thank you 1066.
    I have looked up that number and added it to my page.
    So would I just buy the bottle and unscrew the fitting on the top and screw in the fitting that comes with the pistol?

Yes, that correct, just unscrew the horn. The fire extinguisher feeds from the bottom so no need to turn it upside down to fill your cylinders.

This is the fitting in two parts:
    https://www.emrr.org.uk/2459400.html