Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Complete Tell Pistol Collection

All have the same cocking design principles. For me the primary odd one out is the over barrel Westley Richards Highest Possible as all the others are concentric.
    That said, the cocking design was started with the 1st Highest Possible. The Highest Possible Concentric evolution was then remodelled (borrowed ) by the Tell 2, Acvoke and Thunderbolt.
    Fascinating stuff.
    Tell 2 could also be odd one out as only one that is German. Also only one with wood grips. Likely there are others.
    The Westley Richards Highest Possible Concentric is a beauty. Very privileged to get my hands on one.

Quote Originally Posted by Mobiasstrip View Post
    All have the same cocking design principles. For me the primary odd one out is the over barrel Westley Richards Highest Possible as all the others are concentric.
    That said, the cocking design was started with the 1st Highest Possible. The Highest Possible Concentric evolution was then remodelled (borrowed ) by the Tell 2, Acvoke and Thunderbolt.
    Fascinating stuff.
    Tell 2 could also be odd one out as only one that is German. Also only one with wood grips. Likely there are others.
    The Westley Richards Highest Possible Concentric is a beauty. Very privileged to get my hands on one.
    Sweet. Not really my thing, but I do appreciate its appeal.

micky2 is offline The collector formerly known as micky
    Quote Originally Posted by Mobiasstrip View Post
    Fascinating stuff.
    Hi what is the se/no of the concentric WR as it might be one that as not been noted before. l had one of these but l foolishly swaped it for some other guns.

Although the Ser Nos for WR Concentrics started at 1000, only 100 or so were ever produced with only a small number surviving for today's collectors. It always seemed a bit of a retrograde step for these pistols to have smoothbore barrels and fixed sights when their predecessor had a rifled barrel and a rear sight adjustable in elevation
    I have Ser No 1055 which has the cut-back cylinder shroud. Still have no idea why some models differ in this regard.

Brian

Brian,
    Some interesting insights in the attached articles by John Atkins.
    One of my Alm purchases is shown in the circled photo. Remarkable.
    Steve

Hello Steve,

Thanks for posting the 'Concentric' features from Air Gunner magazine which have been most helpful. I hadn't seen the final article which specifically addresses the 'Cut-Back' shroud issue. The differences in the degree of cut-back would seem to support the theory regarding the removal of blow hole imperfections as being the most likely reason for the anomalies. I'm aware that Webley for instance would have apprentices practice simple engraving to the frames of some Junior pistols to cover casting imperfections thus making them suitable for onward sale. Here are some photos of my pistol Ser No 1055 mentioned in the articles. Interestingly, although I also have a 'Non-Concentric' Highest Possible, I was recently tempted to acquire another one at auction which coincidentally carried Ser No 1055 and would have made a nice pair.

Regards
    Brian

micky2 is offline The collector formerly known as micky
    Number 1012 was the one that once belonged to me. and all the 3 that are in John Atkins airgunner artical above are no longer in Kelvins collection.