Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Complete Tell Pistol Collection

Complete Tell Pistol Collection

At the Alm Auction I was lucky enough to purchase the lot containing his Tell 3’s. He had 4 Tell 1’s in the auction in various lots. I saw one of his Tell 1’s come out in an after auction sale and completed the three pistol collection. Though the Tell 3 is difficult to find, I don’t think in the US I have ever seen a Tell 1 since I started collecting 4 years ago? To me it’s the most difficult one to obtain but that may be different in the U.K.? It’s ironic cause it was made for a fairly long time? Mine is numbered 116.

Last edited by 45flint; 08-04-2019 at 05:25 PM.

Tell Set

I also picked up one of the Tell I and completed my set. The 2 and 3 do come up fairly regularly here. Tell 1 are not seen much in my experience.
    Lovely set.

Quote Originally Posted by Mobiasstrip View Post
    I also picked up one of the Tell I and completed my set. The 2 and 3 do come up fairly regularly here. Tell 1 are not seen much in my experience.
    Lovely set.
    Was yours from the Alm Auction? How did you get it to the UK, thought that was close to impossible?
    Last edited by 45flint; 08-04-2019 at 09:33 PM.

micky2 is offline The collector formerly known as micky
    Nice to see 2 sets of Tell pistols. l have yet to come across a Tell 1 to complete my set.

Quote Originally Posted by micky2 View Post
    Nice to see 2 sets of Tell pistols. l have yet to come across a Tell 1 to complete my set.
    The auction prices seemed not that unreasonable but you had to buy multiple pistols. I probably paid a very full retail for mine in the after market but I thought I doubt if I would ever see one again? I fell in love with Alm’s totally blued version ( it was reblued) but it was part of a three gun lot and it sold before I got my Tell 3’s. I actually never thought I would win the Tell 3s.
    Last edited by 45flint; 08-04-2019 at 11:09 PM.

Congrats

they are fine pieces!

I took a considered risk and bid what I thought was a low price on 2 lots. Both very good prices by UK standards. To my surprise I was successful with both. I used a local RFD to help with the import process. Auction house did a good job of packing for a fair price. UK customs checks (and form filling) was problematic and stressful to say the least. It took nearly 3 weeks of emails and conversations before they accepted the import was legal (which it is as they are low powered air weapons). Import duty was not cheap at 25%.
    Would I do it again? Not sure, but very pleased with the lots when they arrived. Both contained air pistols I have only dreamt of owning for years but almost impossible to source over here. With shipping and tax I probably paid a fair UK price (and blew my budget for next 5 years..)
    As each lot was for multiple pistols I may well sell surplus to recoup some costs. Still undecided :-)
    Steve

I took a considered risk and bid what I thought was a low price on 2 lots. Both very good prices by UK standards. To my surprise I was successful with both. I used a local RFD to help with the import process. Auction house did a good job of packing for a fair price. UK customs checks (and form filling) was problematic and stressful to say the least. It took nearly 3 weeks of emails and conversations before they accepted the import was legal (which it is as they are low powered air weapons). Import duty was not cheap at 25%.
    Would I do it again? Not sure, but very pleased with the lots when they arrived. Both contained air pistols I have only dreamt of owning for years but almost impossible to source over here. With shipping and tax I probably paid a fair UK price (and blew my budget for next 5 years..)
    As each lot was for multiple pistols I may well sell surplus to recoup some costs. Still undecided :-)
    Steve
    Curious what were the lot numbers? Like to see what you got. I’ve sold 2 pistols in my 7 pistol lot to help with the pain. Reality is with a collection like this you may never have another opportunity to acquire some of these guns? I admire your bravery and your pistols.

Here is a clue to the other lot. Another set I have been wanting. Spot the odd one out!

I'm going to say the Tell2 is the odd one out the others all being British, two Westly Richards - concentric and barrel over types, Thunderbolt Junior and Acvoke?

These are some very nice pistols, always like the neat handiness of the Tell2 though.

Those Tell1's look so long and ungainly that they are positively ugly in a gorgeous way! ...they look like they were based on the little Tell quater-stocked millita types guns of the day? ...in the similar way that the Jean Marck pistols were based on cut down Gem pattern actions.

What is the time frame on these pistols, are the all pre WW2?
    blah blah

Quote Originally Posted by DCL_dave View Post
    I'm going to say the Tell2 is the odd one out the others all being British, two Westly Richards - concentric and barrel over types, Thunderbolt Junior and Acvoke?

These are some very nice pistols, always like the neat handiness of the Tell2 though.

Those Tell1's look so long and ungainly that they are positively ugly in a gorgeous way! ...they look like they were based on the little Tell quater-stocked millita types guns of the day? ...in the similar way that the Jean Marck pistols were based on cut down Gem pattern actions.

What is the time frame on these pistols, are the all pre WW2?
    The Tell 1’s started Pre-WW1, 1912-1930? Long period really, it’s why it’s hard to believe they are so rare?

Here is a clue to the other lot. Another set I have been wanting. Spot the odd one out!
    That’s a awesome video! Well staged. Figured some of those awesome British Pistols would find there way back to England.

Im thinking you’re another fan of concentric designs

Very jealous of the Highest Possible

Could be the Tell 2, as all the others are English... OR... it could be the Highest Possible (Top Left) as all the others are concentric designs ?

Or..... then again It could be the Tell 2, as that is the only pistol with Wood Grips ?