Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Dealers or collectors?

A dealer is for example, someone that in my experience buys a pistol online, stating it's only fit for breaking.

Then relist it for sale on the same website for three times the purchase price,a matter of days later.

Needless to say I wouldn't knowingly deal with this individual again.

harry mac is offline You can't say muntjack without saying mmmmm
    Quote Originally Posted by piggy589 View Post
    A dealer is for example, someone that in my experience buys a pistol online, stating it's only fit for breaking.

Then relist it for sale on the same website for three times the purchase price,a matter of days later.

Needless to say I wouldn't knowingly deal with this individual again.
    Sounds like someone speaking from experience.
    The South of England has 2 good things, the M1 and the A1. Both will take you to Yorkshire.

Yes,he was all over gunstar at the time,trading from Evesham.

I've sold 102 guns over past 3years, I keep a kinda stock book. I currently own 22 guns, some I've owned for many years, one over 40. Many guns I buy by chance, just for the pleasure of ownership, albeit briefly in some cases. Some I've made a small profit, wipe their face or lost money in some cases. Does this make me a dealer, collector or enthusiast. I'd say the latter, I'm not trying to make a living out of buying and selling for sure I'd be failing miserably if I was!

As I was officlally self employed with job title of general dealer and have been for the last 45 years I can't do any wirtue signalling. One category of buyer hasn't had a mention - the tight bastard. These are to be found in great profusion, particularly at MM. They operate under the illusion that (a) you got it for nothing, (b) don't have to pay to stand, (c) had everything transported to the event by magic and (d) are happy to take a loss on it. As you should because they've paid £2 to get in.

I well remember a museum quality 'Improved' Britannia I had there a couple of years ago. I heard this fellow say to his mate 'That's cheap!' and then try to beat me down. Someone else took to it at the asking price and left a deposit while he raided the cash machine. I explained that to the original would-be buyer when he returned in the interim and he still tried to buy it despite the other fellow's deposit. My expenses are much higher than normal because I buy Downunder. I wonder if he haggles at the checkout at Tesco.

So there are cases to be made for all sides.
    Rant over, Mick
    When guns are outlawed only outlaws will have guns .

ggggr is offline part time super hero and seeker of justice
    As it has been quiet on here for a bit, any more views on this? Is there a "legal" number you can buy and sell/ in a year before you are considered to be a "dealer" and should become an RFD?
    I noticed Mick mentioned a few had been banned from here for buying on here and then selling on other sites.
    Cooler than Mace Windu with a FRO, walking into Members Only and saying "Bitches, be cool"

keith66 is online now Optimisic Pessimist Fella
    I have never dealt in airguns, I have always had a passion for them though. I mostly have the ones i want & due to a legacy will have a few more that i want. I dont see the point in collecting hundreds of them.
    A bloke i know literally has hundreds & will outbid anyone at an auction simply because he cant bear to see anyone else have it. I dont see the point in that either!
    Me & a friend dealt in metalworking machinery for some years & it was a good earner but we were not greedy & always tried to give people a good deal, often its better to move something on quick rather than having it hanging round your neck like a millstone for ages.
    In my old trade of boatbuilding I often came across people who would collect boats, no intention of ever restoring them or using them they just craved the ownership. They often would rather see the thing rot into the ground than let it go to someone who would restore it. I hate that attitude as i have had to break up or burn too many that would have survived if they hadnt been left so long.

look no hands is offline Even better looking than a HW35
    When I first came on the BBS many moons ago, I didn't have a great deal of money, so I'd buy a cheap rifle either off of here or locally and refinish the stock and tinker with the insides and may be sell it at a bit of a profit and put that against another rifle, also back then the rifles which are either now hard to find or are stupid money (Pro Elites, Longbows etc) where readily available, so I managed to try out a lot of the rifles I always wanted, almost most of them where sold on to fund the next rifle, often at a loss, over the years I've kept the rifles I've liked or have bought back ones I regret selling and I'm now a collector of the ones I like most.

Pete
    Far too many rifles to list now, all mainly British but the odd pesky foreigner has snuck in

Quote Originally Posted by look no hands View Post
    When I first came on the BBS many moons ago, I didn't have a great deal of money, so I'd buy a cheap rifle either off of here or locally and refinish the stock and tinker with the insides and may be sell it at a bit of a profit and put that against another rifle, also back then the rifles which are either now hard to find or are stupid money (Pro Elites, Longbows etc) where readily available, so I managed to try out a lot of the rifles I always wanted, almost most of them where sold on to fund the next rifle, often at a loss, over the years I've kept the rifles I've liked or have bought back ones I regret selling and I'm now a collector of the ones I like most.

Pete
    Same here. I have losr more than i have gained thats for sure. Some guns do go up in value but then people wont pay the price. A few i have had for many years i tried sell this year but nothing is shifting. And others make silly offers so i may as well keep them.

look no hands is offline Even better looking than a HW35
    Quote Originally Posted by WILBA View Post
    Same here. I have losr more than i have gained thats for sure. Some guns do go up in value but then people wont pay the price. A few i have had for many years i tried sell this year but nothing is shifting. And others make silly offers so i may as well keep them.
    I put a few rifles up a few months ago, I sold my Airsporter RB2 carbine at as bit of a loss, I bought it from a shop and had to have it sent to an RFD at extra cost and then I tuned it but sold it for the same money I paid for the rifle, I did have someone want one of my other rifles but I was a bit weary because it was his first post on the forum and didn't fancy selling to someone unknown.

Pete
    Far too many rifles to list now, all mainly British but the odd pesky foreigner has snuck in

Quote Originally Posted by look no hands View Post
    I put a few rifles up a few months ago, I sold my Airsporter RB2 carbine at as bit of a loss, I bought it from a shop and had to have it sent to an RFD at extra cost and then I tuned it but sold it for the same money I paid for the rifle, I did have someone want one of my other rifles but I was a bit weary because it was his first post on the forum and didn't fancy selling to someone unknown.

Pete
    Les bought my mk1 bsa superstar recently. Wish i had sold the rb2 airsporter now and kept that. But some have to go as their room is taken up by stuff i have bought this year. Still got my mk2 superstar which i do prefer to my mk1 if i am honest. But the mk1 had such a lovely stock. I know les was happy with it. I lost £30 overall on that gun.

I have been collecting airguns since the '50s and have had more than a few pass through my hands over the years - but being "an obsessive Virgo" (but unable to always buy "perfect examples") I find that I always want to "make them right" and shoot properly too, and this invariably means finding and buying new or better replacement parts until I am satisfied that the air pistol (or rifle) is as good as I can make it.

After the work is done and the money has been spent it becomes part of my collection - until I find a better example - or another to rescue - or something else "catches my eye", and then of course when this happens, funds (and wife!) often demand that I sell it on to fund or make space (back to the wife again!) for the new arrival.

A good example is that I had a grey moulded Model 5 and (at the time) I really fancied a Grey moulded Model 6 to go alongside it, but the one that I eventually found and bought was broken, needed re-building, and some replacement parts.

I was fortunate to buy some obsolete Model 6 parts on here - but there were some differences in the gear wheels that run along the tram rails on the earlier models - and the used ones I bought on here did not fit (without being slightly modified) and I still needed to source some new end caps to make the pistol look nice - and then new seals ..and the three new main springs, so the total cost of buying the Model 6, the obsolete parts and the new parts and "making good" my grey Model 6 far exceeded the price that I am asking for it now as I "move it on" to part fund (or make space for) my next project.

So I will loose some money (again), but the pleasure I have had in hunting down the obscure parts I needed, learning about the subtle differences of the Giss system refinements that have been made over the years, and returning a pistol to excellent working condition was well worth doing, and another classic pistol has been returned to full working condition and maybe even saved it from being scrapped - and that to me is a good result!

It is possible to buy an airgun and keep it for many years and find that its value has risen so you sell it for a "profit" - but when you compare the cost of a pint (our universal guide to real life living) have you really made a profit? If you have - well done - it will help to offset all the others that you lost money on over the years, but if you are like me this does not happen enough to make my hobby anything like self-funded - at best it will slightly reduce the cost of having such an enjoyable (albeit expensive) hobby!

As for the so called "dealers" amongst us - I for one am really pleased they exist as a valuable source of supply for desirable airguns and parts that may not exist if they were not "rescued" by these entrepreneurs who take the risk and hope to make a few quid now and again. If you think their asking price is too high, you can always try to haggle or walk away and find something less expensive another day.
    Last edited by zooma; 19-10-2019 at 07:13 PM.
    Rossendale Target Shooting Club. Every Tuesday and Thursday evening 7 - 10pm.

The only "dealer" I know keeps loosing money on his deals...

Myself, I'm more of a hoarder

Red face

I've been going to have a vast reduction of my guns for years now as I don't want the wife and offspring to be burdened with them if I suddenly keel over (Men have a habit of not reaching 55 years old in my family, I'm 61!!) trouble is that when I start to sort out what's going, All the darned lot end up back in the gunroom

It's not going well as i've bought several more pistols whan I was supposed to be getting shut, May be fetching a modified Crosman 2240 tomorrow too!

Also, I've had loads of stuff given to me gratis and can't bring myself to sell these items but if I give stuff away (I do occasionally!!) then those items become theirs to do with as they wish, If they want to sell them then that's fine with me because they're not mine any more

A while ago I sold some Chinese guns but then bought some German guns to replace them

John
    for my gunz guitarz and bonzai, see here
    www.flickr.com/photos/8163995@N07/

Well with cars you're allowed to buy/sell 6 in a year, any more than that you're a dealer.
    HMRC rules state that a "hobby" which involves buying & selling can recoup costs to break even, if it makes a profit then it ceases to be a "hobby" & becomes a business.
    So it seems quite simple, if you make a profit you're a dealer.