Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: As a modest collector, am I committing sacrilege by buying an LGV Master Pro?

As a modest collector, am I committing sacrilege by buying an LGV Master Pro?

Returning to this hobby nearly three years ago, I now possess two BSA Standards, 2 Mk3s, one FWB127, one Longbow, one Omega (fitted with peep sights), and one Original 45 (only the latter is .177). The Longbow and Omega purchases occurred because of the high acclamation they received on this site. This humble collection, I considered, was a favourable representation given that my preference is for break-barrels. I try to use my specimens, both to keep my eye in and to ensure they are used and sighted in. That suggests my collection is unlikely to grow much from here but it also means I might have to refrain from visiting events such as Kempton, less temptation leads the way.

I have been tempted, however, to purchase something modern and could not resist the LGV Master Pro (.22) - with one now awaiting my collection. This - it seems - is the current peak of break-barrel excellence. Have I committed a sacrilege by purchasing a modern springer? Will its quality and accuracy be such that there will now be little interest in the shooting of older rifles? Happily, I have not gone down the PCP route and sold my only PCP here a while ago.

Do other collectors mix old and modern? Does that cause their interest in the older items to lessen?

One feature of the really old, of course, is the pleasure in handling carefully engineered products which are nearly 100 years in age. Even in the '60s and early '70s, air rifles had not vastly improved since the days of the Standard, in my opinion.

Rgds
    A

harvey_s is offline Lost love child of David Niven and Victoria Beckham
    I mix old and new and would agree with everything you say bar one schoolboy error...in that the current benchmark in break-barrel excellence is obviously the HW98.

Near Wimbledon, SW London, or Lusaka, Zambia
    Quote Originally Posted by harvey_s View Post
    ... one schoolboy error...in that the current benchmark in break-barrel excellence is obviously the HW98.
    nonesense, LGV is much better (except for the stupid trigger) - but the old Pro Elite or FWB Sport are also better than the 98
    Always looking for any cheap, interesting, knackered "project" guns. Thanks, JB.

Unframed Dave is offline World pork pie juggling champion three years straight
    I mix old and new and would agree with everything you say bar one schoolboy error...in that the current benchmark in break-barrel excellence is obviously the HW98.
    Ahem, the 98 is a sporter rifle in a semi target stock. The platypus of the airgun world.

I do have one though.

Dave
    Smell my cheese

Quote Originally Posted by Shed tuner View Post
    nonesense, LGV is much better (except for the stupid trigger)
    This is a bit like saying a Lotus is better than a Ferrari except for the stupid engine.

Quote Originally Posted by Unframed Dave View Post
    I do have one though.
    Yeah, but you have one of everything Dave... you're like the Noah of airguns

I collect/buy what I like.
    That might be a BSA light or a Umarex shell ejecting Winchester.

I don't worry about it or care what others think.

I also change my mind on a regular basis

You won't regret buying the LGV. Carrry out Jim Tyler's "simple tune" (just fitting a TX spring is more than half the job, opening the TP to 3.00mm, much easier than I expected), and make it the most delightful gun to shoot, and deadly accurate. And it gives you a point to appreciate how airguns have moved on since those very worthy classics.

Quote Originally Posted by andrewM View Post
    Returning to this hobby nearly three years ago, I now possess two BSA Standards, 2 Mk3s, one FWB127, one Longbow, one Omega (fitted with peep sights), and one Original 45 (only the latter is .177). The Longbow and Omega purchases occurred because of the high acclamation they received on this site. This humble collection, I considered, was a favourable representation given that my preference is for break-barrels. I try to use my specimens, both to keep my eye in and to ensure they are used and sighted in. That suggests my collection is unlikely to grow much from here but it also means I might have to refrain from visiting events such as Kempton, less temptation leads the way.

I have been tempted, however, to purchase something modern and could not resist the LGV Master Pro (.22) - with one now awaiting my collection. This - it seems - is the current peak of break-barrel excellence. Have I committed a sacrilege by purchasing a modern springer? Will its quality and accuracy be such that there will now be little interest in the shooting of older rifles? Happily, I have not gone down the PCP route and sold my only PCP here a while ago.

Do other collectors mix old and modern? Does that cause their interest in the older items to lessen?

One feature of the really old, of course, is the pleasure in handling carefully engineered products which are nearly 100 years in age. Even in the '60s and early '70s, air rifles had not vastly improved since the days of the Standard, in my opinion.

Rgds
    A
    I concur with everything you've said here Andrew. You've made it your aim to collect classic accurate and powerful sporting airguns of yesteryear. I have done same and aside of the BSAs have same collection as yours.
    But last year I bought a .177 LGV Master Pro after buying a .177 LGU some two years ago. They are super accurate and have many of the desired features of a modified springer from the outset.
    I just buy the guns that flick my switch. I fully expect the Master Pro will flick yours. It's a heavy old piece though- be warned. But it's build quality is excellent.
    Dave.

Quote Originally Posted by Vernal View Post
    You won't regret buying the LGV. Carrry out Jim Tyler's "simple tune" (just fitting a TX spring is more than half the job, opening the TP to 3.00mm, much easier than I expected), and make it the most delightful gun to shoot, and deadly accurate. And it gives you a point to appreciate how airguns have moved on since those very worthy classics.
    I had heard that the LGU (underlever) benefitted by widening the TP but I also understood that nothing required altering in the LGV (break-barrel), for it is almost perfect from the factory. With only the most basic practical skills and without the tools to interfere with the TP, I would prefer to leave alone!

Actually, to answer Harvey_s, I nearly bought an HW98 but I think it is outclassed by the LGV. The weight is a grey mark, of course.

Johnnyone, great minds think alike!

B***s****.

I have a mix of 80/90s guns and a few new ones. Does good to have a mix.

A worthwhile addition to any collection imo.
    Get the trigger adjusted correctly and they are a nice rifle.
    Les.

Take care .. temptation and desire will see your collection grow. Give in ... you know you must. Add a nice Webley Service MKII (beautiful engineering but a tad expensive), a nice Diana 27 (prewar and pretty cheap) and a few others and you will approach the heaven of appreciation.
    Cheers, Phil

Mmmm....After 30 odd collector desirables, all open sighted, in recent months I could not ignore bidding on a Walnut TX200HC complete with scope and bag in excellent condition at a local general household auction, a total bargain. It was a dirty deed to betray the Collectable Section and it did affect my conscience, but, that only lasted until I used it at the club - bloody brilliant and so accurate. Further more, I was not banned from this Section and no Grandmaster with post counts exceeding 20,000 administered any form of discipline, correction, or punishment. Enjoy a bit of pleasurable alternatives.....

All the best.....
    Last edited by SRV1; 22-10-2019 at 10:23 AM.