Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: .30cal HW80 Barrel @ Kempton

I think the .30 in sub FAC is not practical. John Bowkett made up an 11 ft.lb. rifle which is on Youtube showing the rats actually dodging the pellets, quite a laugh.

Baz
    BE AN INDEPENDENT THINKER, DON'T FOLLOW THE CROWD

Thumbs up

@ Josie and John - That’s very kind of you sir - much appreciated. Please let me know either way.
    Atb
    Jon
    'Windage & Elevation, Miss. Langdon - Windage & Elevation!'

look no hands is offline Even better looking than a HW35
    I can see the appeal, as my .25 BSA is such a laugh to use but like said it gets expensive feeding it, .25 AA pellets are about £15 for 350, I know Voymir does JSB .30 pellets and they are £11.30 for 150, so not cheap and you could easily go through a whole tin in a plinking session.

Pete
    Far too many rifles to list now, all mainly British but the odd pesky foreigner has snuck in

Near Wimbledon, SW London, or Lusaka, Zambia
    Mr Webb22 has wimped out and bought a lickle .25" now
    Always looking for any cheap, interesting, knackered "project" guns. Thanks, JB.

Quote Originally Posted by Shed tuner View Post
    Still fun though and dare I say it, probably lovely to shoot from a HW 99 or 95.

Pete
    Far too many rifles to list now, all mainly British but the odd pesky foreigner has snuck in

So has someone still got a 30 cal for sale!!?

Get to the back of the queue 😏
    I’m still after the 30cal chaps...
    The .25 is just to tide me over fellas. I already have a venom shrouded .25 on an ‘80, just fancy putting one on a ‘90 with open sights 😎

Quote Originally Posted by look no hands View Post
    I can see the appeal, as my .25 BSA is such a laugh to use but like said it gets expensive feeding it, .25 AA pellets are about £15 for 350, I know Voymir does JSB .30 pellets and they are £11.30 for 150, so not cheap and you could easily go through a whole tin in a plinking session.

Pete
    I have found that Marksman pellets are well priced and work well in BSA barrels. I guess they must be closer to .243 than .25. You can get 243 sizers from Lee that work really well in a press for mass production purposes.
    I’m ponding with the idea of expanding a 25 pellet into 30 to keep the weight down. Or a mould if they exist?

🤨...😆👍

Quote Originally Posted by webb22 View Post
    I have found that Marksman pellets are well priced and work well in BSA barrels. I guess they must be closer to .243 than .25. You can get 243 sizers from Lee that work really well in a press for mass production purposes.
    I’m ponding with the idea of expanding a 25 pellet into 30 to keep the weight down. Or a mould if they exist?
    My BSA barrel is a proper .25 not the earlier .243, I can fit all the proper .25 pellets in mine, I've not tried Marksman pellets to be honest but it shoots so well with the AA's that I've stuck with them, I may try and find some and try them.

Pete

Near Wimbledon, SW London, or Lusaka, Zambia
    Quote Originally Posted by webb22 View Post
    The .25 is just to tide me over fellas. I already have a venom shrouded .25 on an ‘80, just fancy putting one on a ‘90 with open sights ��
    I have to say 80s shoot really nice in .25, so I've no reason to suspect a 90 won't too.. I guess the larger cylinder dia (30mm) works well with the larger cal - lower back pressure to reduce piston bounce, and plenty of volume to keep the pressure up....
    Always looking for any cheap, interesting, knackered "project" guns. Thanks, JB.

Red face

Quote Originally Posted by look no hands View Post
    My BSA barrel is a proper .25 not the earlier .243, I can fit all the proper .25 pellets in mine, I've not tried Marksman pellets to be honest but it shoots so well with the AA's that I've stuck with them, I may try and find some and try them.

Pete
    I have a .25" BSA Supersport that will only take the Marksman pellets, All the rest wear the tip of your thumb out unless a pusher of some kind is used!!

John
    for my gunz guitarz and bonzai, see here
    www.flickr.com/photos/8163995@N07/

Quote Originally Posted by johnbaz View Post
    I have a .25" BSA Supersport that will only take the Marksman pellets, All the rest wear the tip of your thumb out unless a pusher of some kind is used!!

John
    I've ordered a tin to see how they go through my barrel, I know I've mentioned this a few times before but the £45 'seconds' .25 Lightning barrel I bought from Knibbs way too tight, I was running BSA Pylarms through a .243 sizer and I even reamed out the breech and it was still hard to push them in (you defo had a dent in your thumb afterwards), there was no way you could get a German sized pellet in the barrel without a pusher and a lot of force, I then took the plunge and ordered a £87 .25 Lightning barrel and this one is fine and can take any .25 pellet without a struggle getting it in, I've just found AA .25 to be the most accurate.

Pete

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news but the .30 cal barrel seen at Kempton sold at the show - the seller has just confirmed this to me.

John

Quote Originally Posted by Josie & John View Post
    Sorry to be the bearer of bad news but the .30 cal barrel seen at Kempton sold at the show - the seller has just confirmed this to me.

John
    Others may turn up in June 😀