Thread: HW99 delrin strip

HW99 delrin strip

I want to remove the spring from under the delrin strip on the cocking arm of a 99, I have tried to knock the pin through (from both sides) to remove the delrin piece but it will not budge. Do I need to persist by hitting it harder or is there something else I need to do?

Thanks in advance,
    Gary.

tinbum is online now Killer Vampire Lesbians on scooters
    I have a long hooky type probe that I use without removing the pin
    God rest ye jelly mental men

Thanks Nick. The thing is, that when I couldn't knock the pin out I held up the rifle to the light to see where it was rubbing and tried to rub the delrin down to take out the high spots, and it looks like I've taken a little too much out.
    I am going to buy a new cocking arm and replace the delrin sleeve (minus the spring) from the new one.
    The reason I'm not changing the complete arm is that I don't have the tools to remove the linkage rivet that attaches it to the barrel. And if I can't knock the small pin out I don't want to attempt the rivet..

gtfreight,

Both the cocking lever rivet and the delrin strip rivets can be right little bastids to remove

The amount of 'wallop' needed to remove the cocking arm pin can make your toes curl, and the same for the delrin strip pin.

Mr. Pope suggested using a centre punch (knock out direction is from right to left as you hold the rifle) to initially start the pin moving, and then a pin punch to complete the job.

Always support the work well - it makes a difference.

Replace the cocking arm pin with a removable one (Shauny, V-Mach etc.) - it makes life so much easier not having to remove the barrel when stripping the rifle

Have fun & a good weekend

Best regards

Russ

Thanks Russ.
    When you mention "the cocking arm pin" do you mean the "elbow" type one or the one that connects to the barrel?

Excellent advice from Russ.

Gary, Russ will mean the one holding the front section of the cocking lever onto the breech block.

As per Pete Evans' HW80 fettling article and accompanying picture in the magazine.
    THE BOINGER BASH AT QUIGLEY HOLLOW. MAKING GREAT MEMORIES SINCE 15th JUNE, 2013.
    NEXT EVENT :- May 4/5, 2024.........BOING!!

gtfreight,

Yup - the pin in the breech-block that holds the front of the cocking arm

The 'knuckle' of the cocking arm is usually far too stiff - a large screwdriver gently tapped into the knuckle, from the top, will loosen it - a little bit at a time until it feels 'fluid' and easy-moving - apply some good oil or grease to the knuckle.

Have fun & a good weekend

Best regards

Russ

Thank you Tony and Russ,
    I've managed to push the pin out to access the delrin strip with a bit of brute force. With the spring out cocking is smooth but when the barrel is returned I can fell the movement on the shoe. I have a new cocking arm on order that I'll take the delrin from. I will also see if I can knock the other pin out of the new arm and if so I'll buy one of Shauny's pins.

gtfreight,

Glad you got the delrin pin sorted !

Shauny's take-down pins are the best I have used, and he does them for other rifles as well as HW - I have one in my Hatsan 55S - now that cocking lever pin was a complete and utter git to get out

Have fun & a good Sunday

Best regards

Russ

gordon is offline it`s taken me 6 years to get so far...
    Quote Originally Posted by gtfreight View Post
    Thank you Tony and Russ,
    I've managed to push the pin out to access the delrin strip with a bit of brute force. With the spring out cocking is smooth but when the barrel is returned I can fell the movement on the shoe. I have a new cocking arm on order that I'll take the delrin from. I will also see if I can knock the other pin out of the new arm and if so I'll buy one of Shauny's pins.

I'm sure I have one of those pins ,bought when I had a 99.
    If I can find it your welcome to it foc, when I get a minute I'll check .

Regards Gordon
    ATB, Gordon.
    Professional Ferret Juggler

Quote Originally Posted by gordon View Post
    I'm sure I have one of those pins ,bought when I had a 99.
    If I can find it your welcome to it foc, when I get a minute I'll check .

Regards Gordon
    That would be great, if you do find it send me a PM and I'll pop round, seeing you're only round the corner. I'll bring a bottle of wine for you.