Thread: anyone tried the lothar walther barrel on a crosman co2 pistol?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    if you look on the GTA forum you'll find pages og info on SSG's personally with the exterior adjusters and the way the power increases can be increased with the said adjusters then it makes it a grey area
    I've a walther barrelled 2300 and I've fitted walther barrels to 2250's and an outdoorsman a cp1

eyebull is offline Even a stopped clock is right twice a day
    Quote Originally Posted by --ped-- View Post
    if you look on the GTA forum you'll find pages og info on SSG's personally with the exterior adjusters and the way the power increases can be increased with the said adjusters then it makes it a grey area
    I've a walther barrelled 2300 and I've fitted walther barrels to 2250's and an outdoorsman a cp1
    If you look at my posts above you'll see it's pretty easy to make these non-adjustable from the outside, so no grey area.

The guys on the GTA forum did it as a matter of convenience, not because it inherently *has* to be externally adjustable.
    Good deals with these members

if you look at the original ssg by Bob Sterne you'll see that the adjustment is needed to a degree and that they weren't designed for co2 more the big bore pcp's and was a means of getting the efficiency up
    on the original the preload was adjusted from the rear as was the distance between the hammer and spring guide
    personally think fitting a 2300 valve reducer and a short hammer spring and a power adjuster gets better results on co2

Quote Originally Posted by --ped-- View Post
    if you look at the original ssg by Bob Sterne you'll see that the adjustment is needed to a degree and that they weren't designed for co2 more the big bore pcp's and was a means of getting the efficiency up
    on the original the preload was adjusted from the rear as was the distance between the hammer and spring guide
    personally think fitting a 2300 valve reducer and a short hammer spring and a power adjuster gets better results on co2
    I've covered all of this.

You have to adjust it when setting it up, but that's no different to fitting a new hammer spring set-up.
    They may have been originally designed for PCP, but a challenge was then issued on that forum to apply it to the 2240, which many did successfully.
    Fitting a 2300 valve reducer and new hammer spring and fitting a power adjuster sounds like rather more hassle, and more money, than making an SSG, which took me less than 20 minutes to make and fit including the time taken to disassemble and re-assemble a 2240.

I'm getting 120 3.5FPE shots out of a 12g caplet [edit: in .177 too], and struggling to see where the big problem is with this.

By all means give it a try.
    Last edited by eyebull; 15-04-2019 at 09:23 PM.

yes I remember it and very few actually bothered to do it from what I remember
    I know how to make them and have made a few and I can turn a valve spacer up in a few mins , clip a hammer spring close and grind it and fit a disco rear tube cap (but could make a power adjuster from scratch)in the same time it takes you to make an SSG

Got to be honest I'm struggling to get it. One minute you're saying the SSG is no good because it can be adjusted externally (which it doesn't have to be), the next minute that you should fit an external power adjuster instead?

harvey_s is offline Lost love child of David Niven and Victoria Beckham
    I was under the impression that external power adjusters only adjusted power DOWN, not up?
    Last edited by harvey_s; 16-04-2019 at 08:37 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by eyebull View Post
    Got to be honest I'm struggling to get it. One minute you're saying the SSG is no good because it can be adjusted externally (which it doesn't have to be), the next minute that you should fit an external power adjuster instead?
    I didn't say they were no good just that when you make one correctly(that can be fully optimized to get max efficiency) that it has external adjusters and as things are changed then power can be increased notably when the air gap is reduced between the ham,mer and spring power increases as a rule
    you must have missed the bit about using a clipped spring in conjunction with the power adjuster and reduced valve volume-at full adjustment it gives less than a standard hammer spring and the reduced valve lets less co2 out also