Page 18 of 62 FirstFirst ... 8161718192028 ... LastLast

Thread: 1st and 2nd June 2019 Boinger Bash --- Event and Payment Details

Quote Originally Posted by Alanok2002 View Post
    ive just fettled a diana k98 mauser i think they are ment to do 18ftlb plus same action as diana 460 also fitted with a transfer port restrictor washer to reduce power to sub 12 anyway 30 odd grams taken off piston by milling 3 slots in it restrictor washer out and was still doing 16ftlb plus so drilled washer out to 3mm as it was 2mm before power down to 14plus so shortened spring 3 times now doing 10.9 and people who sjot it said its nice to shoot can fetch to june bash if anyone wants a play
    I'd love to see and have a shot or two with that one Alan

Quote Originally Posted by Chippendale View Post
    Are you trying to tell me something Tony.

Melv

Chippendale (with clothes on)
    Well Mel, as you're not the World's largest chap, I was thinking that the high all-up weight and the awkward cocking / loading procedure may cause you a little difficulty.
    THE BOINGER BASH AT QUIGLEY HOLLOW. MAKING GREAT MEMORIES SINCE 15th JUNE, 2013.
    NEXT EVENT :- May 4/5, 2024.........BOING!!

Quote Originally Posted by Blackrider View Post
    It’s a big “heavy” lefty Mel, you wouldn’t have missed it !
    Especially if it had landed on his foot!
    THE BOINGER BASH AT QUIGLEY HOLLOW. MAKING GREAT MEMORIES SINCE 15th JUNE, 2013.

Quote Originally Posted by Alanok2002 View Post
    Hope the tunnel servives and as for wind ive got my first gp shoot tomorrow at millride 15-20 mph wind should be fun with the tx200
    How did you fare yesterday, Al?

Blackrider is online now It don't mean a thing, if it ain't got a Spring
    Quote Originally Posted by TonyL View Post
    Especially if it had landed on his foot!
    I had a great respect for the rifle Tone, build quality and all, it was professionally tuned and was very very accurate as well being almost recoil free but as I said previously due to its weight and me being left handed, the right handed cocking and the anti bear trap release, it was all too unsatisfactory for me to be a comfortable practical rifle. Yes ok for a shortish spell on a bench but Heck no for a practical hunting tool. I don't think I’d want an FAC version either much preferring an “on ticket” 80 every time.
    “An airgun or two”………

Yep, as Mick has said previously, John; not the easiest thing to use, even for right-handed shooters. Must have been even worse for you. Moving the lever to the left, freeing the right hand to load would suit many more people.

Are you still on for getting to this Summer Gathering then, John?

We had a slight issue with his other friend who came along as, like a fair few people who I've met, he's right handed but left eye dominant. He was struggling trying to keep his left closed and couldn't focus on target and sights with his right eye and trying to shoot left handed was more than a little awkward. So he ended up declining taking any "live shots" last night, but will try Dave's '99 soon. Before they left I let him look through the Gamo scope which seemed easier, having only the crosshair and target to worry about / focus on.
    Convert #2 now fixed up with his boinger and 'scope.

Went to my local club range yesterday (nice and handy as it’s only 5 miles away) and had the most enjoyable plinking/ target session I’ve had in ages largely due to shooting open sights for the first time in yonks!

I used mainly my Gamo CF20 in .177 ... jeezo what an accurate rifle that is. Very light and manageable for an under lever and the trigger is not bad either with a predictable smooth let off. Not sure what it’s doing power wise but I reckon at least 10fp. It’s easy and safe and quick to load with the pop-up breech (like the HW57) but unlike the 57 it’s really smooth with absolutely no twang.

Using the open sights it was right on the money at 15 yards.. 2 successive shots on the bull through the same hole on the reactive targets...admittedly it was bench rest shooting. Just by making slight adjustments visually with the foresight level in the back vee-sight I was regularly hitting 25mm spinners at graduating ranges between 10m and 30m at 5 metre intervals.
    Then at 30 metres I placed the four dangler/ spinners target (about 35 mm diameter) which are great fun to hit as the swivel up on to a resting bar then you release them by hitting the overhead lever and the drop back to their original position. I was pretty chuffed getting 6 in a row.��
    I also used my old Diana 27, also in .177, made in Motherwell by Milbro and over 60 years old . What a great trigger it’s got... solid alloy as well. It shoots beautifully as well but needs a wee dunt laterally on the rear sight to get the windage spot on.

Finally I returned to scope shooting with my Mk6 .22 Meteor... not as good a trigger and a wee bit twangy but it’s so quick to point and shoot and is so accurate as well. Is there any other springer that’s so fast to cock, load and shoot?...

Anyway the point I’m making is that all 3 of these rifles cost less than 70 quid each ... the Gamo was only £50 and the amount of fun and satisfaction they give, particularly when using open sights, is immense.

If any of you are looking for something a bit different, springer wise, then I recommend you check out the Gamo CF20 if mine is anything to go by! ��
    Last edited by VALE BOY; 29-04-2019 at 09:00 PM.

As ever by your good self, what a lovely little story, Graeme.

Glad you enjoyed using the open sights. I love using them, keeping things simple and "back to grass roots". And I love the slim, uncluttered feel they bestow. Plus, as you've now proven to yourself, amazing how accurate you can be with them once you "get your eye in".

Also great to hear of your love for the Gamo underlever. Having seen for myself how nicely some of these Gamos can shoot (plus the excellent internal finish) and liking the idea of the rotary breech, I'd certainly be happy to give a CF a home. I think they're 25mm bore, like my Vipermax, and the very light piston and long stroke makes for easy cocking and very mild mannered in the recoil department.

If any Boingeristi do hear of any nice CFs going cheap, please shout up.

Will you be bringing it along in a few weeks' time, Graeme?
    Last edited by TonyL; 29-04-2019 at 09:13 PM.

NewPaul is online now Jack Hargreaves lookalike --- How
    Yep, as Mick has said previously, John; not the easiest thing to use, even for right-handed shooters. Must have been even worse for you. Moving the lever to the left, freeing the right hand to load would suit many more people.

Are you still on for getting to this Summer Gathering then, John?
    I’ve tried a couple of side levers at my old range and being a leftie it was nigh on impossible to cock the damn things. I tried using my right hand but it felt just too awkward. Shame really as there are some nice apps side levers out there.
    HW77K .22, HW100KT .22, HW95K .22. AA TX200 MK3 .22. AA S410 MK3 .177. HW80 .25 HW30S .22. Pistols: Walther CP88 .177, Hatsan Mod25 Supercharger .22, HW45 Silver Star .177, Webley Alecto .177, SMK Victory CP2 .22

Quote Originally Posted by Blackrider View Post
    I had a great respect for the rifle Tone, build quality and all, it was professionally tuned and was very very accurate as well being almost recoil free but as I said previously due to its weight and me being left handed, the right handed cocking and the anti bear trap release, it was all too unsatisfactory for me to be a comfortable practical rifle. Yes ok for a shortish spell on a bench but Heck no for a practical hunting tool. I don't think I’d want an FAC version either much preferring an “on ticket” 80 every time.
    Hey John, hows it all going up there, hope you’re getting in plenty of hunting matey
    HW77K .22, HW100KT .22, HW95K .22. AA TX200 MK3 .22. AA S410 MK3 .177. HW80 .25 HW30S .22. Pistols: Walther CP88 .177, Hatsan Mod25 Supercharger .22, HW45 Silver Star .177, Webley Alecto .177, SMK Victory CP2 .22

Quote Originally Posted by NewPaul View Post
    I tried using my right hand but it felt just too awkward.

Snigger.

Quote Originally Posted by T 20 View Post
    Snigger.
    I knew it, I just knew it, as I was typing I would be expecting a cheeky response from you

Yet again...... I refer you to my Avatar (that is not an effin’ cue to get Rickenbacker to change it again)

We haven't seen the lovely Phil on for ages, Pauly.

This should mean that your avatar should be safe but I'm worried about him.

If you look in, Phil, all the very best from all of us here.

The Sleepometer says

32 to go, peeps.

BOING!